Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the tree that I used the Dunbar on. As you can see it had a heavy drag down the hill. It's about 200' tall with lots of limb weight. I was able to pull it around so that just the top of the tree hit in the road. Not too bad for such a heavy lean. I have some videos that I might try to upload. I see we can send pics with more info on them since they've done their update. We'll see.

I have two video clips of falling it but the system won't accept them. Too much info I guess. Since they had that upgrade I was hoping I could post them.

You'd probably have to youtube or photobucket them. They have built in compressors to make the file smaller.

Swinging that fir is some pretty impressive stuff! That thing is out there! Makes anything I've ever done look like peanuts. Thanks for sharing!

Got to come home from the motel last night, and start a new unit just up the road from home. Couple quick, crappy pics before the hike out. Can't tell in the pic, but the fir are really nice. About 1/3-1/2 have to be quartered down the hill so's I can pull a log off them. Got to keep the hookers and yarder man happy.

Oh, yep I do have to put the raised backcut on the stump. ####ing OSHA/ work comp.

Moose #### everywhere, maybe I'll trip over a nice shed. Almost ate dirt last week when I stepped on a nice 6 point elk shed, lol.
Hope you all are well. Out to the shop for me - Sam

View attachment 187401View attachment 187402

Looks Great! Best to you.:cheers:

Got to come home from the motel last night, and start a new unit just up the road from home. Couple quick, crappy pics before the hike out. Can't tell in the pic, but the fir are really nice. About 1/3-1/2 have to be quartered down the hill so's I can pull a log off them. Got to keep the hookers and yarder man happy.

Oh, yep I do have to put the raised backcut on the stump. ####ing OSHA/ work comp.

Moose #### everywhere, maybe I'll trip over a nice shed. Almost ate dirt last week when I stepped on a nice 6 point elk shed, lol.
Hope you all are well. Out to the shop for me - Sam

View attachment 187401View attachment 187402
Those are nice fir. No deduct in those at all. Nice fast, fun timber. Do you have to limb three sides?

Hope you all are well. Out to the shop for me - Sam]

What kind of marking system is going on there?

Here's the tree that I used the Dunbar on. As you can see it had a heavy drag down the hill. It's about 200' tall with lots of limb weight. I was able to pull it around so that just the top of the tree hit in the road. Not too bad for such a heavy lean. I have some videos that I might try to upload. I see we can send pics with more info on them since they've done their update. We'll see.

You ain't a kidding about lean!! That'd be a tough one to pull over to the side.:rock:

187404d1308263975-08-11-10_74-jpg

You're right on with the school day. When we think we know it all is when we get bit. Especially in this business. I know a few guys that fit that mode and they're always bragging about how they have this scar and that break how many times they've been hurt. Those are the ones to stay away from. They've just not got it figured out yet. I guess you might say, "don't be that guy."

Yup. Usually the loudest guy is the weakest link. Most of the really good fallers I know are humble and not apt to brag it up. Their work says everything about them that you need to know.

And just from personal experience...every time you get to thinking that you're pretty hot with a saw some old tree shows you that you're not.

Those are nice fir. No deduct in those at all. Nice fast, fun timber. Do you have to limb three sides?

This guy just has us limb enough for a tape path. He figures most of the limbs will be gone by the time they hit the landing, and he likes to have the stroker operators pick em up and make sure thier computers are still measuring right. Works for me. - Sam

Last edited:
What kind of marking system is going on there?

Jameson, this is a state sale, marked to leave. They do 4 vertical lines around the bole, and use 3 horizontal to denote the boundarys. Hell of a lot better than the multi-colored ribbon/paint fed donkey show I was at earlier this week, lol. I like it - Sam

Last outfit I worked for (WV) I occassionally did some stand marking for us fallers and for the timbco. Usually when we started in on a new unit and were working into a new prescription. I'd mark a day or 2 worth of felling so everyone would get the look, then it was fallers select. I painted like a faller would want it, at the dismay of the boss. He showed me a quick slash mark made from a few feet away, "thats all you need". Whatever, a faller wants to be able to look throught the stand and readily SEE the marked trees (ours were usually the leave trees too). A bold slash on the downhill and uphill side. More paint, more cost, yes. Better, we sure thought so.

The NF timber I've cut has always been well marked. They don't have to buy it either though.

Speaking of which, I've asked the NF foresters about the paint, the lock box, etc.- lots of eye rolling in response

Last edited:
Here's the tree that I used the Dunbar on. As you can see it had a heavy drag down the hill. It's about 200' tall with lots of limb weight. I was able to pull it around so that just the top of the tree hit in the road. Not too bad for such a heavy lean.

HOLY WOW

I can just about almost imagine the physics that would make that possible. Would be a hell of a sight to see that thing roll around against gravity, common sense and apple pie!

ALSO: Slowp! You've already said too much!

Yup. Usually the loudest guy is the weakest link. Most of the really good fallers I know are humble and not apt to brag it up. Their work says everything about them that you need to know.

And just from personal experience...every time you get to thinking that you're pretty hot with a saw some old tree shows you that you're not.
About that old tree, I'd like to have a nickel for every time one of those "old" trees showed me how hot I wasn't. Just when you think you have all the answers some old tree changes the question. Right on.

Back