Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok enough of the damn weather, our trees are too short to blow over in any regular interval. I do thank you boys from the west for the block face though, specifically Randy and Bob.

These are great for production and there happens to be quite a few next to the house and buildings on this one. The first 10' was firewood. I ended up with 3 8's. I have to admit I cheated on this one. Had a cable 2/3s up with the other end on my machine as someone pulled and I cut. It was leaning hard over the shed. Wedges buried and dead limbs raining. Got my rush for the day.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Just realized in 2 days this thread will be 2 years old. I'm 8 pints in tonight boys. Bout to hit the sack. Little bro turned 15 today, had to celebrate. I'll be 30 in a couple months. ####, where does it go?

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

View attachment 208439
View attachment 208440
Sometime's that is just cheap insurance, even when I was 99-100 percent sure where the tree would go, I we threw a Bull rope in it. Especially with house'd, and building's. We get that alot. I dug up, and old pic, we fell this tree over a reataining wall, and just to my left if looking from the backcut view, was a house about 30 feet or less. My friend-partner, and I were facing it, then threw in the wedges. The whole time there were people eating lunch next door, not paying any attention to us. Then I starte'd the back cut, and realize'd quick the holding wood was gonna have some rot. Because I still had some sawing, and it starte'd to barber chair. Slight moment of panic, my buddy siad something I forget, but I said whatever I did, and he say's I think were ######. Just then the folk's eating lunch gave notice, and a guy was looking right at me, and actually pause'd mid bite of a sandwhich. It all happene'd fast, the tree settled, but I sawe'd like a son of a b####. Layed right where we wante'd, and had a bull rope to a neighbooring tree. Nice job on the blockout.

Metals- Haha! I usually get a lot of, "I've never seen that before". If they ask for an explaination I generally get that vacant stare as I'm going through it. The mill's forester hung out for a couple of hours the first few days I was in the woods to show me how the mill wanted the logs and how to mazimize my boardfootage. He had me bore and fell everything with the lean. I played along those first couple of days. That got old quick. He thinks its pretty amazing how far I can get trees to swing and hasn't said much on bore cutting since. The locals themselves seem fairly knowledgable. They know the farmer cut is no good. The landowner on this current job was taught by the great Swede himself in the ways of plunge cutting. He watched me jack one over and said he had never seen anything like that either. Funny stuff.

Sam- Things are coming together a little better. Major learning curve on the machine to begin with, but its coming along. Yeah I obviously don't have too many people to share my general excitment of felling trees. Gotta let that out somewhere. Hopefully those bastards will get their #### together on your job. Nothing drives me more crazy than waitin around for someone else to figure something out.

Norm- Sometimes you just gotta get lucky right?! Thanks!

Throw some chips boys!

Last edited:
it woulda lasted forever, but takin a pic and askin about it automatically means it's goin to snap tomorrow

Well, Jake you lost the bet, now pay up! But can I trade those cool points for something worth while like, beer. You can get moose drool straight from its source, correct?

Well, Jake you lost the bet, now pay up! But can I trade those cool points for something worth while like, beer. You can get moose drool straight from its source, correct?

If you ever make it out this way I'll get the beer for sure, as far as Moose Drool straight offa the moose, well then, you're balls must be so big that you have serious trouble walking sometimes, a damn moose is waay scarier than a grizzly. They're blind, kinda stupid, and meaner than #### for no damn reason at all

It can be had straight from the source at the brewery in town.....you just gotta elbow your way through the trustafarians and yuppies first. The Slow Elk Stout and Heavy Horse are better though.

It can be had straight from the source at the brewery in town.....you just gotta elbow your way through the trustafarians and yuppies first. The Slow Elk Stout and Heavy Horse are better though.

I dunno man, I've tried those before and I'll still take High Life or Rolling Rock that's been open for a week LOL

The first time I had a Moose Drool it was on tap in Missolua about 12 years ago. I was 18. I think I took down 5 or 6 of em coupled with a little wildwood weed and I was feelin fine. I also came eyeball to eyeball with a sow and calf on some switchback trail that trip. The drool has been available around here for a couple of years. The more coffee I drink and the older I get the darker I seem to like my beer. I haven't tried the others you named, Sam. I will have to look for em. Stuffs not cheap around here though. Something like 8 bucks a sixer. Usually I just settle into the old stand by I was raised on, Miller Lite.

I had some spotted cow from Wisconsin and it was great. It's not a real dark beer either.

I had two Moose Drools three years ago, in a bar called Bull O' the Woods Saloon, in the little high elevation mountain town of Red River, NM.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
With all this talk about beer and it being Friday afternoon....

Living on the left coast it seems that you can turn into somewhat of a beer snob. There are breweries everywhere. There's three major ones in my city alone. Not sure how widespread this brand is yet (only a couple years old) but if you darker beer connoisseurs can get your hands on some Ninkasi OATIS (Oatmeal Stout) you will be satisfied.

NinkasiOatis.JPG

With all this talk about beer and it being Friday afternoon....

Living on the left coast it seems that you can turn into somewhat of a beer snob. There are breweries everywhere. There's three major ones in my city alone. Not sure how widespread this brand is yet (only a couple years old) but if you darker beer connoisseurs can get your hands on some Ninkasi OATIS (Oatmeal Stout) you will be satisfied.

NinkasiOatis.JPG

I'll have to look for that! In the mean time I'll just have crack a Deschutes Obsidian Stout!

Back