Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all this talk about beer and it being Friday afternoon....

Living on the left coast it seems that you can turn into somewhat of a beer snob. There are breweries everywhere. There's three major ones in my city alone. Not sure how widespread this brand is yet (only a couple years old) but if you darker beer connoisseurs can get your hands on some Ninkasi OATIS (Oatmeal Stout) you will be satisfied.

Those are mighty tasty. I seem to fluctuate between good beer and busch light/keystone.

Yeah we've got the same thing around here with micro brews. They are everywhere in this state. Must be the Northern Euro heritage that moved in here 150 years ago. They mined, cut a lot of timber, and drank a lot of beer. There is a liqour store in the town nearest to me that I swear you could take a different micro brew home for every day of the year. Spotted Cow comes from New Glarus. They make all kinds of crazy crap now. Fat Squirrel is the only one I will really drink from that town. Swedes seem to like their beer sweet. My buddies and I used to pick up 30 packs of Busch light for fishing beer. 2 guys per pack usually got er done.

Uh Oh, What Dis?
Nate Diggity gettin dug in on a double bar length OG Larch with my new 660

1202111417.jpg

1202111417b.jpg

Went over to Nate's Saw Ranch to get my sick-60 looked over a little and just happened to find a couple trees that needed to get horizontal and he hooked up a sweet muffler mod for me too!

Hahahaha, I look like I'm in pain! LOL Must be squinting so'z I don't get the chip-to-eye disorder. I didn't even realize you were taking pictures. . . That Uncle Jake is sneaky.

Bet them carpenter ants had a cold night! :rock:

Hahahaha, I look like I'm in pain! LOL Must be squinting so'z I don't get the chip-to-eye disorder. I didn't even realize you were taking pictures. . . That Uncle Jake is sneaky.

Bet them carpenter ants had a cold night! :rock:

It's from all that raw power in your hands :laugh:

Those ants are standin around shakin like a dog ####tin peach seeds

After the 2 Larch were down, I cut a bunch of 4' lengths, and Paw-Paw was splitting them in 3 hits with Nater's secret wood split'n weapon. :rock:

I'd show ya what it is. . . But then I'd have to kill you.

You GOL-side-switchin'-on-the-backcut-whilst-holdin'-in-a-fart tree cuttin' fool! :hmm3grin2orange:

GOL? Them there are fighting words! :msp_mad:

I would clearly fail a GOL course anyway. . . No eye protection, ear protection firmly attached to my neck, no chaps, a 660 w/ 32" bar, no plunge cut, Humboldt face, the list goes on and on! :laugh:

First thinning of 45 year old Red Pines. Average dbh 8-10". Average height 70'. All pulp sticks. I cut these on a day when the wind was blowing 30-35mph so they would shake out. Worked pretty well actually. Knowing when to gun it, cut some or all of the hinge off was key. This is less than an acre and just kind of got bunched into the hardwood job. Not worth it for a processor to come in.

attachment.php

A decent cherry log from just outside of the pines.
attachment.php

View attachment 210734View attachment 210735

After the 2 Larch were down, I cut a bunch of 4' lengths, and Paw-Paw was splitting them in 3 hits with Nater's secret wood split'n weapon. :rock:

I'd show ya what it is. . . But then I'd have to kill you.

Seen it with my own eyes guy.......I like it - Sam

A clean thinning job, Bitzer. Placing a stick crosswise under every stack might help loading a bit.

What tools do you stack the pulp sticks with? Pulp hook? Lifting tong?

Thanks! It actually turned out pretty nice. I think it was 75 Red Pine and 30 Norway Spruce in all. I busted ass and got it all done today. I barely pulled a truckload out (12 cords). The forester marked the harvest trees by defect not ease of removal. I got into some pretty tight spots and nearly had to cut myself out as it got dark tonight. That would have been fun. My lights only point forward and back. Its all hand bunching. Yep, end over end or hefting the little ones. Actually goes pretty quick. The wood is too frozen now to get my hookeroon into them. I'm moving to my next job Monday with some decent timber. I can't wait! Its supposed to warm up to 40 tommorrow with a chance of rain Monday. That might make the hill on my next one fun. The only problem with the cross-wise stick is picking that one up at the end! If I get a little dirt or brush it doesn't bother me. Usually I pull the stacks up pretty clean. I'm sure the trucker will ##### about it anyway though.

Back