Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here most guys carry a strap in case of a hang up. Not my pic, but shows it clear.

p43.jpg

Samlock that's a neat trick. Wish I would have thought of that when I was thinning about 6 acres of Doug-fir. It was really a commercial thinning but it all went for firewood as the lady who owned it wanted it for firewood and too small and steep to bring in a machine. I chunked a bunch down and only got one good push on some hang ups otherwise it was chunk down and call it good. Would have been handy. I've got some alder to thin and was thinking about buying one of those falling levers for that kind of work but your idea is cheaper! You have a picture of what the strap looks like, I assume it is a continuous loop?

The standard strap here is a 5 centimeters wide nylon strap with sewn loops on both ends. Length approx 2 meters.
E258.jpg

A continous loop is ok too. It just takes a bit more room in your pouch.

You tie the strap on like this.

Konkeloliinan+sitominen.jpg

I'm a bit surprised there's not a single how-to video on the tube on this trick. The strap is given to each worker by rule and everyone knows how to use it.

Here most guys carry a strap in case of a hang up. Not my pic, but shows it clear.

p43.jpg
corner store had a whole bunch of those straps a while back given to him by a tree service ,i guess they use them on one job and get new ones ,i think i have 1 or 2 here still i think ,they had weird eye ends over normal straps .much larger

Brian, that looks like a plain rigging sling the tree equipment stores are selling. My guess too is they are a bit short for twisting hangups on the stump. But you just cut it up and tie loops on both ends and you're good to go.

A piece of strap or a sling makes a multitool in log cutting too. I use a sling with pulp hook to roll the logs over in order to reach the belly pegs. A felling lever or a peavey or a cant hook tends to get lost in the brush, you know. Plus there's always plenty of long levers in hand, so why drag one around?

Samlock that's a neat trick. Wish I would have thought of that when I was thinning about 6 acres of Doug-fir. It was really a commercial thinning but it all went for firewood as the lady who owned it wanted it for firewood and too small and steep to bring in a machine. I chunked a bunch down and only got one good push on some hang ups otherwise it was chunk down and call it good. Would have been handy. I've got some alder to thin and was thinking about buying one of those falling levers for that kind of work but your idea is cheaper! You have a picture of what the strap looks like, I assume it is a continuous loop?

Its a common trick out this way, too. Just use a loop of tow rope. We always have one in the crummy for multiple reasons. If ya get a stubborn hanger ya can't free up or cut any locals down to help, ya plunge cut thru the hinge of the hanger, and then cut the side hinge opposite the side you roll her at a 45* ish angle to free it. If that doesn't work, ya use the loop or a pry bar/felling bar/hook, etc.

And this is a good idea of why we have to do it so often in Europe. This is the thinning we did in Dorset. Mostly ash, beech, and some random conifers about 1-2' in dbh, but fairly tall due to how tight they were growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TwdTPFbWNV0#t=148

I'm using a lil ported Echo 50cc and the operator is using a ported 42 special for most of the outside thinning we are doing here. That fire smelled great, btw.

Brian, that looks like a plain rigging sling the tree equipment stores are selling. My guess too is they are a bit short for twisting hangups on the stump. But you just cut it up and tie loops on both ends and you're good to go.

A piece of strap or a sling makes a multitool in log cutting too. I use a sling with pulp hook to roll the logs over in order to reach the belly pegs. A felling lever or a peavey or a cant hook tends to get lost in the brush, you know. Plus there's always plenty of long levers in hand, so why drag one around?

i had some other straps from the tree service ,had large loops on the end and pretty long ,maybe 10-12 foot ,we were using them to lift engines like a big choker sling ,i will have to see if there are any still here ,sometimes things get modified by the guys if they do not work right for automotive use ,so they may not be around anymore

Latest posts

Back