Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I'm not sure how well the cab and boom turning would work in the thinning, be nicer having a clam bunk for something like that. And to answer why a lot of us have issues out here with the back halves is 16' min. and a lot of us will push them and do 28' a few guys have built them up to do 32' and 36' not exactly easy on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nuts, I've got an old set of pole gear from the 40's I should dig out one night and get a few pictures of.

Was watching a pole climber awhile back... dude was nuts, unhooking his strap thing and climbing free hand around the cross tie things, damn monkey with wrenches, sometimes unhooking and hanging on by one hand while wrenching with the other.
I used to climb up to the telephone wires before I belted in. We had to be above them. I needed to be high enough on the pole to drill it for our 5/8" bolts. Great big heavy Skil 1/2" drill, and about a 14" drill bit. I needed to lean into it to get it started straight.

And two points of attachment? What, one on either hip?

One thing I'll give an arborist though they are in a harness not a leather belt around your waist.

The belts suck! The new harnesses are really quite comfortable, I started climbing with an old all leather belt, with the sisal/hemp flip line, today's modern gear is so much nicer. Though I still like the hemp flip line, feels like it grips better and I can hang on to it a little easier, they're just really expensive.

If I were to do it now, I would use a harness. I had a nice padded belt, had a good strap with a steel "core", nice set of spurs. None of the other stuff was available (that we knew of) 30+ years ago.

Dang, that makes me feel older than having kids my girls babysat babysit my granddaughter. Or having kids of their own...

I've always followed this thread but never really contributed. I finally figured out how to get video off of one of my old smartphones. This is a two part video of me taking down a snag on a wildfire outside of Sisters, Oregon. I cut the video into two portions because my felling partner flipped the camera 2/3 of the way through the video.

Part 1:

Part 2:

nice vid, thanks! had that been burned before? its a shame them nice sticks are dead......no chance of salvage i guess, to far gone? sure seemed hard as a rock. nice 064, one of my favorites. or was it a very early 066?

nice vid, thanks! had that been burned before? its a shame them nice sticks are dead......no chance of salvage i guess, to far gone? sure seemed hard as a rock. nice 064, one of my favorites. or was it a very early 066?

No more salvage on federal lands here anymore thanks to the bunny huggers. I'm sanitizing a proposed line ahead of the main fire, were very close to a road in the vid. But all those snags in the video are from a previous fire (4-5 years?)

Very nice 137cc!

You an agency guy or contractor?
I work as contract faller on wildfires during the summer as one of my jobs. If the video was 20+ min long then you could accuse me of being agency.

Latest posts

Back