Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... feeding the trolls but...

In a perfect world every tree would be a perfect taper, no lean, no obstructions, no underbrush, with 7 escape paths.

This isn't a perfect world and I for one am glad of that, so we need to be prepared to adapt and overcome that what challenges us.

So I can rescue the saw and get far enough away to be clear of the butt and bigger branches, risking the out liers that likely won't hurt real bad, or i can abandon the saw and loose it along with the weeks worth of work to replace it, probably hurrying me back to hourly wages in a shop i hate.

Which in the end is a fate worse then death to me at this point.

Blah blah saw is replaceable bla blah blah lives are not blah blah blah.

I know the risks, I am fully aware of the consequences of my decisions.

If the Norns smile on me all i can do is smile back.
I'd wager you'd have a nice stack of bars with the ends bent at 90' caused by chasing the hinge, I don't want to put you off putting your videos up , but that last one was a shocker of what not to do & nobody in their right mind would recommend going out & copying it.

I'd wager you'd have a nice stack of bars with the ends bent at 90' caused by chasing the hinge, I don't want to put you off putting your videos up , but that last one was a shocker of what not to do & nobody in their right mind would recommend going out & copying it.

**** right off.

I learned that little starter cord trick by watching someone far more experienced than me do it, be it Tarzan Tree, Hotsaws101 or my uncles in real life

If some one else sees and learns from it all the better, its half the reason I post videos in the first place.

For the record I have a pile of bent bars, its 3 deep, one of them was caused by the skidder and not from falling timber, its not nearly as deep as the pile of worn out bars or worn out chains.

Bent bars happen, its part of business, and part of being a cutter, its why we carry a spare.

But if you don't believe in swinging trees or chasing the hinge you wouldn't understand that would you?

If you've never had to do that you haven't cut enough timber. The more you talk the more you reveal, like I've said many times. So far I have one picture of one rotten stump from your own property. Let's see how far you can piss.
Who said I've never done it? I've done every stupid thing imaginable before you were even on the teat , the difference between you & I is I know getting into those situations is so stupid, avoidable & not worth it. I've lost gear & been clobbered & have lived to tell the tale.

On the subject of learning...

and a big reason i don't edit my videos unless its simply for time... like refueling in the middle of a back cut (don't do that kids...)

There was a couple of real nice patches of timber that just got clear cut next to the house.... big second growth Fir

anyway, there is more sloping back cuts in there then I would have expected from a reputable company, and some serious fiber pulling, crooked back cuts, just overall kinda sloppy

Oh and they managed to take out the power despite having 3 big Yellow (well orange) hydraulic wedges, and a cable cat...

Made me wonder if they just aren't teaching folks to cut anymore.

Who said I've never done it? I've done every stupid thing imaginable before you were even on the teat , the difference between you & I is I know getting into those situations is so stupid, avoidable & not worth it. I've lost gear & been clobbered & have lived to tell the tale.
I like how you assume you are sooo much older then Bitzer, or me for that matter. And that everyone in the world has never been injured just poor old you that lived to tell about it, and would never do such a thing again

Think you would be surprised to find out just how old we are.

**** right off.

I learned that little starter cord trick by watching someone far more experienced than me do it, be it Tarzan Tree, Hotsaws101 or my uncles in real life

If some one else sees and learns from it all the better, its half the reason I post videos in the first place.

For the record I have a pile of bent bars, its 3 deep, one of them was caused by the skidder and not from falling timber, its not nearly as deep as the pile of worn out bars or worn out chains.

Bent bars happen, its part of business, and part of being a cutter, its why we carry a spare.

But if you don't believe in swinging trees or chasing the hinge you wouldn't understand that would you?
I think you're not understanding where I'm coming from, I think cutting one handed & having your head in line over the bar while doing it is a fairly stupid thing to do, I think cutting 9/10ths of the hinge off on a sloping cut which was always going to pinch the bar leaving you near the butt & danger area while trying to save the saw was a another fairly stupid thing to do, the starter rope trick was the finale' to the lesson.

I think you're not understanding where I'm coming from, I think cutting one handed & having your head in line over the bar while doing it is a fairly stupid thing to do, I think cutting 9/10ths of the hinge off on a sloping cut which was always going to pinch the bar leaving you near the butt & danger area while trying to save the saw was a another fairly stupid thing to do, the starter rope trick was the finale' to the lesson.
You obviously don't understand how to side slip then, its not safe, its not average jack ass cutting, if you want it to slip off the stump there can't be any hold wood to hold it, so you have to stick with it.

**** it go back on ignore, yer an ignorant mutt with nothing to add to any conversation you've been in but negativity and bile.

I sometimes forget a life lesson, to not argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You obviously don't understand how to side slip then, its not safe, its not average jack ass cutting, if you want it to slip off the stump there can't be any hold wood to hold it, so you have to stick with it.

**** it go back on ignore, yer an ignorant mutt with nothing to add to any conversation you've been in but negativity and bile.

I sometimes forget a life lesson, to not argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
It's hard for an outsider to understand how the stupid can justify their stupid antics, eventually you've manned up & said its not safe, I do like your videos but don't take it the wrong way , Not everyone is green & not going to mention when you're doing something fairly stupid

Anyone else wake up to this ?

Naw, it was absolutely pouring here until the afternoon.

The idea is not ever get into that situation where you have to use that trick

Sure would be nice to cut in a world where I only had nice safe situations instead of lousy nasty dangerous ones. Yet, somehow, all I get is burnt fir snags full of bullets, or sprung alders, or rotten forked oaks, or whatever. I'll take any trick for my bag that gets me home safely. Some of these tricks aren't elegant, and a whole lot of them aren't OSHA approved. Yet, they work, and I carry on. I'll use whatever cheat I have to to get the job done safely.

Sure would be nice to cut in a world where I only had nice safe situations instead of lousy nasty dangerous ones. Yet, somehow, all I get is burnt fir snags full of bullets, or sprung alders, or rotten forked oaks, or whatever. I'll take any trick for my bag that gets me home safely. Some of these tricks aren't elegant, and a whole lot of them aren't OSHA approved. Yet, they work, and I carry on. I'll use whatever cheat I have to to get the job done safely.
There's an old saying " there are old loggers and there are bold loggers, but there are no old bold loggers" really though with an excavator & skidder onsite who wouldn't use them to bump or push over a dodgy stick, I cut & snig by myself & my machine isn't more than a dozen paces from the tree I'm falling, who goes out of their way to make life harder & more dangerous when it's not needed?
Thanski

Reggie is 60-70 Northy. I forget exactly. He was a desk jocky at the county all his life until he retired and bought a dozer so he could snig and snog as a hobby.

Reggie- you can't always get equipment behind the trees even where I'm at. In steep ground there's no way. It's also about as time efficient as ******** your pants twice a day. I personally wouldn't want to push a snag over. Way too good of a chance of the top breaking out onto the machine. Even with all the forestry steel in the world protecting the cage it's not a great idea.

You guys like to cut in the dirt on them walnut sticks...

I know they are worth money but my guts clench when I have to start digging the roots out by hand... I like tall stumps.:D

GOL thing is a dead horse, soon we'll be onto a wedge thread again...

A Tall Stump & Wedge Thread Picture.
05e581eae8842690785e4135d6c0abdc.jpg

On the subject of learning...

and a big reason i don't edit my videos unless its simply for time... like refueling in the middle of a back cut (don't do that kids...)

There was a couple of real nice patches of timber that just got clear cut next to the house.... big second growth Fir

anyway, there is more sloping back cuts in there then I would have expected from a reputable company, and some serious fiber pulling, crooked back cuts, just overall kinda sloppy

Oh and they managed to take out the power despite having 3 big Yellow (well orange) hydraulic wedges, and a cable cat...

Made me wonder if they just aren't teaching folks to cut anymore.
I can tell you down here they aren't talked to a cutter two weeks ago it was the first company ground he'd been on for over a month otherwise it's just small private jobs. It use to be just oversize, then just the steep, now it's just the bluffs or the steep stuff because one of the tethering machines isn't free.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reggie is 60-70 Northy. I forget exactly. He was a desk jocky at the county all his life until he retired and bought a dozer so he could snig and snog as a hobby.

Reggie- you can't always get equipment behind the trees even where I'm at. In steep ground there's no way. It's also about as time efficient as ******** your pants twice a day. I personally wouldn't want to push a snag over. Way too good of a chance of the top breaking out onto the machine. Even with all the forestry steel in the world protecting the cage it's not a great idea.
Not even close blitzer!

So you'd rather have no protection of a machine & pit your hard head against a limb or the top of a tree doing the same task? What sort of logic is that? if it was too risky to fall & I couldn't use a machine or a safe method I'd just leave it, after all they're still making them & not worth unnecessarily risking ones neck for .

Is Bwilderd here again? Is he saying anything sensible enough for me to take him off IGNORE or is it the usual useless blather?

Well said.

Not even close blitzer!

So you'd rather have no protection of a machine & pit your hard head against a limb or the top of a tree doing the same task? What sort of logic is that? if it was too risky to fall & I couldn't use a machine or a safe method I'd just leave it, after all they're still making them & not worth unnecessarily risking ones neck for .

Do you have any paperwork or photographic evidence to support your claims?

I just found this- Australian provincial code 799.6675C- an operator must have a minimum of 7 years snogging experience to apply for a snigging license. Are you snigging without a license Reggie Smith?

Is Bwilderd here again? Is he saying anything sensible enough for me to take him off IGNORE or is it the usual useless blather?

Decision probably depends upon your blood pressure.

Our down under friend doesn’t agree with the risks that our faller friends take in pursuit of their livelihoods.

Personally I see a world of difference between someone making lumber from their own ground and someone engaged to make someone else’s trees into marketable logs. Decision dynamics to leave or cut, how to cut, etc. are different in my thinking.

Ron

Back