Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try oogling "brownlee resevoir carp" or "Malheur Wildlife carp" and take a look at long this "thinning" work has been going on a where it stands today. Bear in mind any us fed fish wildlife numbers you read can be double for a reality check.

Weed Wrench is a good tool. A team of five can clear about 1/2 acre an hour with it. Unfortunately, that doesn't scale well at all to landscape-level management of invasive species. There is no "silver bullet", just a sliding scale of failures and successes, both of which are moving targets. Invasives are no fun at all.

good for some volunteers at a park in town.

not to pull the volunteers

rather so the volunteers can pull some invasives

hard to say sometimes.

Try oogling "brownlee resevoir carp" or "Malheur Wildlife carp" and take a look at long this "thinning" work has been going on a where it stands today. Bear in mind any us fed fish wildlife numbers you read can be double for a reality check.

Damn... that is a lot of fish...

Might be time to get the boat fixed and get out to Brownlee reservoir... I figure the size of that body of water would allow maximum traveling speeds... and quick arrival at the desired fishing location. Might have to get RandyMac to drag his fishing gear with him and meet me at the boat ramp at 1:00 in the morning... :rock: Bet he's got some good stories to tell... we all know he does...

60-65 mph out on the lake sitting in front of a 150 hp Merc sound good RandyMac? It would easily do that with two crazy guys and their fishing gear on board. We've got it up to 45 with it overloaded with me, mom, pops, my brother, the dog, fishing gear, and a cooler full of snacks and drinks. It wanted to go faster, but mommy was screaming, which prompted pops to slow the boat down...

I really need to fix that boat... been three seasons so far that we have not even gotten to go fishing or just run it around the lake at WFO and scare people with it.

thats where I first saw it, my wife was doing invasive removal and habitat restoration/ education at the Marin Headlands near San Fran when we first got together.

8 years or so later I used some grant money to get some for some habitat restoration in a Hurrican Katrina affected urban wildlife area, to be used by untrained folks, volunteers or "intern" types.

I don't think I'm the only faller who has made a turn or two along the way.

That thing looks handy for pulling out fenceline #### when re-building barbed wire fences.

I don't think I'm the only faller who has made a turn or two along the way.

You're not. It's called "making a living when there's no trees to cut". During our recent recession two of the best timber fallers I know were stocking shelves at WalMart. They're back on the saw now...and glad to be there.

Knowing them as well as I do I'd bet WalMart is glad they're back in the woods, too.

Last edited:
We were playing this Duck Hunter - Indoor Flying Duck Hunt Game this morning, and I now see it is an INDOOR game. Anyway, the wind caught the duck and swept it up, and away, and it ended up in the upper part of a large, Douglas-fir. One young man tried to climb the tree, but since the tree had no lower limbs, and he had no climbing gear, that didn't happen.

I offered the use of my wedges, which were in the box of my pickup, and suggested that the tree owner go get his 056 and cut the tree down so we could get the duck out.

Even with the offer of the use of the orange and yellow wedges, he refused to cut the tree down. So, later on, the wind switched and the duck was safe. I tried...

We were playing this Duck Hunter - Indoor Flying Duck Hunt Game this morning, and I now see it is an INDOOR game. Anyway, the wind caught the duck and swept it up, and away, and it ended up in the upper part of a large, Douglas-fir. One young man tried to climb the tree, but since the tree had no lower limbs, and he had no climbing gear, that didn't happen.

I offered the use of my wedges, which were in the box of my pickup, and suggested that the tree owner go get his 056 and cut the tree down so we could get the duck out.

Even with the offer of the use of the orange and yellow wedges, he refused to cut the tree down. So, later on, the wind switched and the duck was safe. I tried...

I now have to buy one just to drive the dogs crazy.

I now have to buy one just to drive the dogs crazy.

The ducks are quite fragile. The Used Dog started off after the first one, I called him back and told him to stay, and he actually did. He was able to control himself and did not retrieve the ducks. There were two other Labs but they were 12 and 13 year olds who were concentrating on breathing more than retrieving anything.

Laughing at how you gals keep your Imaginations fired up,due to the need!

Pass the 12" K&H's and if (3) won't do it,I'm in 65 ton Silvey Mode with a PTO pack running off my bucking saw.

Just sayin'.

Damn you got red fast. Yet another ass hole????

If a pile of #### could speak in the long winded manner of a buffoon, Busheler would be it!

Latest posts

Back