Farm All tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a bunch of pics of old Farmalls on the heavy equipment and old pictures thread in the off topic forum a while ago. This Link should take you there, scroll down to find one that looks like it.

A rough M in running condition is worth 900 "here", as mentioned some areas will go higher.

Baler and swather are pretty simple once you understand what's going on. I REALLY recommend a manual for the baler, it will save a ton of frustration when working on the knotters. I just sold an old New Holland baler for $500 in working order, bought it for $25 and put about $100 in parts in it, not a bad deal for me or him.

Dinger & savage, I've still got a 7' JD mower in back, I use it every once in a while just for giggles. Needs a pitman stick right now, sounds like a good job for a chainsaw LOL.

Here's my Farmall 806. This is a 90 hp tractor that was built in 1963. You could get it in either gas or diesel and with wide or narrow front. Does the one you are looking at look anything like this? Does yours look newer or older?
attachment.php

The older WD series Farmall were Diesels, WD6 and WD9. WD stands for wheeled diesel, late 1940's or so. Later Diesels of 30hp or so were the 300 series. Nice utility tractors. There were others too, just don't remember them all. WD's were more heavy drawbar tractors, more for heavy tillage.
Lots of pictures on the net, find a look alike and post it.
Smaller tractors in the 30hp or so range have always sold quite well and bring very good prices. At $900 it may be a fair price or a great bargain depending on condition and model, and condition of the rubber. A good set of tires can set you back nearly that much.

When I and my dad had MANY farmalls, we had c's, h's, m's, and W series tractors.
A wo-6 and a W-9. They were not lettered WD unless they were deisel.

The OP is likely a MD, or M diesel.

By the way, we restored and pulled antique tractors.

Dinger,

You can still send me some Maple tree starts!!

Gotcha!
I Plumb forgot about that..

I'm pruning this week, as we have had a nasty thaw and I can get to the crowns for the first time in a month.

I'll make sure to toss some flag tape in the Quad box and mark a few so's I don't murder them.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

super MTA

$900.00 bucks for a super MTA wow you find one that cheap please send me a pm, I've been offered $6000.00 for mine and its not painted yet.

Me too on what model FarmAll.

They produced midgets to monsters size

If it is any one of the lettered series, A thru SuperMTA, they can always and anywhere be had in varying degrees of very good and better condition for $900.

None had 3 point hitch, and most had narrow front ends....BIG deficiencies

Not big grab it bargain in my book.

As noted used balers are pretty much down to haul it away and it's yours.

BIG $$$ repairs always, and usually right when needed most.

Round Balers are only way anybody wants to go now a days

Seems that horse people like square bales because a lot of them feed in the stall and square bales are handier and when they go to a horse show it's easier to haul a few square bales with them to feed while there. Round bales are preferred by cattlemen for ease of feeding chores and it takes less manhours to bale and haul, plus they can be stored outside cause they shed water although some is lost to the elements, but doesn't outweigh the advantages.
I own two IH tractors, an H and a 454. The H is a tough old tractor, but it has limitations because of no 3 pt hitch, but I mow with it(7' sickle mower) and rake. when square baling I use the 454 because of live pto. The H will outpull the 454 even tho the 454 has 10 more hp. The H is quite a bit heavier because of wheel weights.

Seems that horse people like square bales because a lot of them feed in the stall and square bales are handier and when they go to a horse show it's easier to haul a few square bales with them to feed while there. Round bales are preferred by cattlemen for ease of feeding chores and it takes less manhours to bale and haul, plus they can be stored outside cause they shed water although some is lost to the elements, but doesn't outweigh the advantages.
I own two IH tractors, an H and a 454. The H is a tough old tractor, but it has limitations because of no 3 pt hitch, but I mow with it(7' sickle mower) and rake. when square baling I use the 454 because of live pto. The H will outpull the 454 even tho the 454 has 10 more hp. The H is quite a bit heavier because of wheel weights.

Same around here. Lots of horse farms and small hobby farms buy only square bales.

Almost all the round baling done around here is by the bigger dairy farms and is plastic wrapped and turned into haylage.

I love them old tractors, I had an M and still have a
300 and a 350 utilities. Sold several Oliver and a 60 JD
I really want to see a pic of this Farmall Diesel, Some of them were known to be hard starters, otherwise great engines.

Some of the old Farmall Diesels started on gasoline and then switched over to Diesel after they got warmed up like the WD-6 and the MD and maybe some of the 3-digit series. IMHO these are kind of a pain as compared to a direct start unit. However, I don't think there were any real problems with them just very complicated to work on because of the two fuel systems. Personally, I like the old iron. My newest tractor is a 1960 and the oldest is a 1949 and they can all put in a good days work in the woods.

As someone mentioned, ytmag.com is a good source for old tractor knowledge.

Some of the old Farmall Diesels started on gasoline and then switched over to Diesel after they got warmed up like the WD-6 and the MD and maybe some of the 3-digit series. IMHO these are kind of a pain as compared to a direct start unit. However, I don't think there were any real problems with them just very complicated to work on because of the two fuel systems. Personally, I like the old iron. My newest tractor is a 1960 and the oldest is a 1949 and they can all put in a good days work in the woods.

As someone mentioned, ytmag.com is a good source for old tractor knowledge.

The TD crawler series had that system (TD6, TD9 ...). I worked summerfallow with a TD6 one summer. Manual crank. To start you set the throttle to the start position and pulled alever to activate teh compression release. Let warm up on gas then moved throttle and compression lever together to swap to diesel.

One morning I did the grease/lube/start ritual and almost drove my knees into the dirt when I pulled on the crank. Like it was tied solidly to a solid block of iron. Mechanic from town found the compression release little toggle in the crankcase.

Harry K

Does it look like the one in the picture I've attached? That's my 1957 350D after I repainted it a couple of years ago. The only "problem" with a tractor like this is that the Continental diesel engine in it is very hard to find parts for, if you need them (luckily I haven't). This particular model was only made for a couple of years. The gas engines were easier to find parts for.

Back