FarmerTec Huztl MS660 Updated Build Kit - Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please understand that I had never heard of squish until I started reading arborist site last year. I had never taken a saw apart until then, and it was only a clean up and carb rebuild. This is the first time I have ever measured squish and I don't know what is too much or too little for this kit saw. I don't want to make a costly mistake on this, that is why I am asking questions
I answer questions, I asked questions. Questions were not a problem. I saw you not stopping to think about the answers or how to arrive at an answer and I spoke up.

You are talking to the guy who has made a great effort to help first timers. So don't think I did not understand your position.

Learn or not it's up to you.

kit info & packing lists @ http://thechainsawkitguy.com

I answer questions, I asked questions. Questions were not a problem. I saw you not stopping to think about the answers or how to arrive at an answer and I spoke up.

You are talking to the guy who has made a great effort to help first timers. So don't think I did not understand your position.

Learn or not it's up to you.

kit info & packing lists @ http://thechainsawkitguy.com
What was the squish on the 660 you built? Did you use base gasket? How much compression does it have?

What was the squish on the 660 you built? Did you use base gasket? How much compression does it have?
Well I can't tell you what his was at but on mine it's sitting right at . 022 but that's with base gasket and a meteor top end and a minor port job on it witch I do plan on working on the ports a little bit more but I'm going to run it for a while before I do she run pretty strong as it is.

Well I can't tell you what his was at but on mine it's sitting right at . 022 but that's with base gasket and a meteor top end and a minor port job on it witch I do plan on working on the ports a little bit more but I'm going to run it for a while before I do she run pretty strong as it is.
Awesome. What made you go with a different top end. Just didn't like the looks of the one that came in the kit? I have heard they have put many different brands of P/C in these kits. Mine had no name at all on it, just a couple numbers.

Awesome. What made you go with a different top end. Just didn't like the looks of the one that came in the kit? I have heard they have put many different brands of P/C in these kits. Mine had no name at all on it, just a couple numbers.
I put the meteor on mine because I wasn't having much luck with the farmertec cylinder but that's the luck of the draw. Lol

Mine was .040 without the gasket. I made a mandrel for the cylinder on my lathe and took a bit off and squared the bottom up. I went without a gasket and used yama seal #4. My final squish is .027. I did not want to push the compression up on the stock crank. I am going for long term running on a mill with mine. So I left it conservative. I say .025 to .030 is a good range.

Mine was .040 without the gasket. I made a mandrel for the cylinder on my lathe and took a bit off and squared the bottom up. I went without a gasket and used yama seal #4. My final squish is .027. I did not want to push the compression up on the stock crank. I am going for long term running on a mill with mine. So I left it conservative. I say .025 to .030 is a good range.
Sounds good. I don't have any tools to take anything off of the base unless it's sandpaper on glass and s whole lot of rubbing back and forth. I think I will just go with what it is. I have some motoseal, that should work fine shouldn't it?

Sounds good. I don't have any tools to take anything off of the base unless it's sandpaper on glass and s whole lot of rubbing back and forth. I think I will just go with what it is. I have some motoseal, that should work fine shouldn't it?
Yes motoseal is just like yama #4.
I would leave it. The 660 is not down on power. Its rips. I can set the chain on the log and pull the throttle and it will take off cutting.

Yes motoseal is just like yama #4.
I would leave it. The 660 is not down on power. Its rips. I can set the chain on the log and pull the throttle and it will take off cutting.
I'm going to. I'm just working on it a little at a time. Part of me wants to hurry and get it running, but my common sense side is telling me to take my sweet time and enjoy the build, because I know when I get it finished and it runs good, I will be wanting to build another one and I certainly don't need any more chainsaws.

My squish was .30 with base gasket. Without the base gasket, the piston hit the head. Just my numbers to add to the mix!

Wow, I would have thought oem would be very close given being made on the same equipment to the same specs.
I've seen Stihl 044s very from. , 023 - . 019 bone stock and the ms660s jump around a quite a bit that why Bob to the right has a 660 and jack on the left side has the same saw bot at the same time same place and one will have more power than the other that's just how it is. Lol

Luv ya man! I switched over from Stihl fue$ to VP last week. No starting problems till now. I put the 660 on the bench to look at later. Then I saw .

Today I checked the saw, and it has no, or very little fast idle. I shimmed the throttle and it started right up.

I’m not inclined to make an OEM saw one part at a time so I’m not going to order Stihl parts, at least not right away. I’d sooner get a correct part from China, or make the bad part work.

Can someone measure, and tell me what the pictured distance should be on a good trigger?

04d3577e4a134b489741b0ec85d8dfb7.jpg

7369daa605330471de61d19ef640aa5e.jpg

I know it’s not a precise measurement, but I’m looking for ballpark.

I only have two Stihl saws (a "genuine" Stihl MS361 and an aftermarket 660), but I've never used the "half throttle" or "half choke" position on either one. I always tried to start on full choke until it popped (or until I had pulled the starter maybe 5 times), then tried starting on the normal "run" position. I've never liked the way the "half throttle" or "half choke" position wanted to make the saw run away against the chain brake (or with a screaming chain if you don't have the brake engaged). Seems like I've also flooded the 361 that way. (Bedford's video made me wonder about the "half-throttle" position on my new AM 660, since I've never actually used that position, so I just tried it. Saw popped on full choke. Then wouldn't start on "half-choke/half-throttle." Was afraid it would flood, so after three or five pulls on the starter, I went back to my routine of going straight to "Normal/Run" and off she went.) YMMV.

BTW, great thread, Bedford. Even though I haven't built a saw and might never try, I enjoy reading about all of your trials and tribulations...

I appreciate your comments Canyon. Just as in the video, fast idle on mine has no choke, so it shouldn’t flood. I suspect that after I tune the carb to the VP fue$, that it will start again. At least till I change fuel again, or change altitude, or the weather changes, or ...

I agree about the added stress of fast idle, but if the only other choice is to go home, or take off the air cleaner to shim the carb, I’d rather have a working fast idle setting.

I appreciate your comments Canyon. Just as in the video, fast idle on mine has no choke, so it shouldn’t flood. I suspect that after I tune the carb to the VP fue$, that it will start again. At least till I change fuel again, or change altitude, or the weather changes, or ...

I agree about the added stress of fast idle, but if the only other choice is to go home, or take off the air cleaner to shim the carb, I’d rather have a working fast idle setting.
I have got lucky on mine because I get part throttle on half choke but I rarely use half on mine it takes two to three pull full choke and then with no choke at all three pole and she will sit there and idle. I would pole my trigger apart for you but my garage is full of weedeaters right now with no room to spare until next week.

I think I will experiment with some kind of tape to determine what I need to add to the length. Then I’ll get the plastic welder out (soldering iron) and see if I can add a bit of plastic to the trigger.

Unless someone has a spare trigger laying around and has time to measure.

I may order a replacement from HLPro, or eBay also.

Back