FarmerTec MS200t What's in the Box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you assemble the saw I forgot about this. Better late than never. You can improve the saw a little. The photo is inside the muffler. The port might be 10-13mm. It does not appear it would require much time or skill to complete. Larger=louder
ec159cd8e73da4e84bdb9be022188c34.jpg

chainsaw kits and packing lists
http://thechainsawkitguy.com
http://YouTube.com/c/the1chainsawguy

Derf, i think if you are looking for a saw that is bang for the buck, and works out of the box, the Echo is a great choice. Its way cheaper than a Huztl kit when you add up the OEM parts that you may eventually get.
The Huztl kits are for people who loves to explore the fringes, tinker and solve tons of problems. They are great educational tools that most likely end up costing more than a used working OEM saw. What you get in the end is the confidence to fix and improve the chainsaws that you own.
The Farmertec parts, for about 5-15% the price of OEM, are impressive copies. Visually, the quality is very good; however, durability is always a question for the moment.
If you just need to get work done, get the Echo X series like the CS-2511T if you need a top handle saw, it'll be cheaper and less frustrating than a Huztl Kit in the long run.

Your last sentence to @Derf sounds like an incredible under-statement if anything!!

Just spent nearly an hour on @Bedford T 's amazing site, WOW what time, dedication and patience to do all that!

I had initially thought "They sell a fully-built g111 that's supposedly a 200t clone, since all parts are interchangeable it should be relatively-comparable!", only to find videos of 200's *literally* performing 2X as fast as a g111!

Then I see "from kit", obviously the thinking is "you'll get far more saw for your money, because you're doing the build" - this would be awesome if it were the case but it just genuinely does not seem so. (edited-to-add: I get "value in learning" but again a kit has a 'fair price' and if a good # of the parts in the kit need OEM replacements then, even before accounting for wasted time, it's hard to imagine this as a BETTER learning-path than to simply go buy a used&beaten version of the 660 or 200 and begin learning proper diagnosis & repair instead of spending time on 'work-arounds' for poorly cast parts) I'm all for learning - am very eagerly upping my skills here right now which is why I went down this rabbit-hole in the first place - but buying&building one of these kits seems a very sub-optimal approach I mean when I read Bedford's (amazing) site it blows my mind pondering just how good you've gotta get to be able to confidently say "I'm going to order one of these kits, and actually use the saw like a regular saw once I build it", feels like the only ones who'd even have a chance of success this route are the type that can essentially already act as a chainsaw-mech, I mean I'm looking at these fixes Bedford finds like "shave a millimeter off the plastic pin for throttle or idle is out of whack" and can only fathom how long an 'intermediate' chainsaw-mech (or god forbid a 'hobbyist') would've spent trying to figure-out why their idle was wrong before ever arriving at shaving a plastic pin I mean jeeebus if I were in your shoes at that point I'd be faced w/ learning every.last.bit of that part of the machine only to find a poorly-produced part, there'd be SO much more value spending such headache-inducing diagnosing sessions on real actual chainsaw problems yknow, like get a used 660 and find a good Stihl OEM dealer and have the same approach in-mind "I'm gonna learn this saw, I'm gonna end w/ a boss saw" and I bet you'll get far more value for your time & money than approaching it w/ a 660 kit-build, sadly (and I don't say this lightly: there's a special place in hell for people who scam in ways wherein their target puts-out FAR more than the scammer reaps, whether it's saving $0.01 on a crappy plastic-casting for your part that then costs you an hour of time to remedy, or the scumbags selling fat women a bottle of caffeine pills for $75 and getting their hopes up & acting-as-if they'll lose weight when the producer knows damn-well a caffeine pill doesn't do that -- then they produce another ad showing two thin people holding that bottle of caffeine pills, or position a $275 G111 as-if it's "essentially a 200t", or - again - distribute "discount part kits" that, while you expect inferior metals & plastics, you still have every imagineable expectation they'd at least FIT TOGETHER properly! These sound less like "ugly picture puzzles" and more just like "discount puzzles since the machine cut the pieces wrong", only this company certainly isn't doing it by-mistake)
[Should note I HUGELY applaud the part of your site for "How to deal w/ the Chinese" on these things but, if this is the current quality level, I fear it's moot. Pre-built clones are where the value will be IMO, am surely biased as I'm at 8 months on my 25cc "Scheppach CSP2540" and, despite beating on it in hopes of deciding whether to get a 2nd[I am], it never needed a SINGLE repair hell it didn't even need tuning until I modded it and had to open the jets a lil, that was a $135 (shipped) saw with Oregon bar&chain, I mean for small stuff I'd never bother looking elsewhere and w/ the 355t being like 7-8lbs at 35cc/2hp I just can't see a reason to bother chasing 200's/g111's at this point unless you're already previously-invested, either knowledge or parts, w/ that platform. Will all be Lith-ion soon enough for sub-100cc saws I bet, 80V seems enough to beat a 50cc 2-stroke so....will be an interesting few years as the paradigm shifts to lithium where you can easily make saws far too-powerful for practical usage, will be quite a treat when mods/hacks start in that context ;D ]

You essentially conclude the value in these kits is that you learn, you're better-equipped w/ chainsaws (and *your* saw, in particular), but lets be real: this can be accomplished simply by being-curious with any saw, whether a warrantied 355t or a Hutzl saw-in-box, there's literally no reason not to tinker on your saws if it's your bag, I know the insides of my climbing saws very well and they were not kits.. so "getting to learn" as a "selling point" is like saying "My broke-down truck is priced as-if it ran, because you're gonna get a great mechanics' education in fixing it" yknow?! It's one thing to be inside a powerhead actively learning, w/ these kits it sounds like a good 50%+ of the tinkering has nothing to do w/ chainsaw-mechanics but rather with making their poorly-sized parts fit...that isn't a learning experience it's busy-work :/

~~~

Had already been sold on the 355t (honestly uncertain how it's not a $500 saw, and why it's not way more popular, Echo's seem reliable-as-hell and the 355t is on-par w/ a stock 200t) but was still thinking "someday I'll get a full kit-saw that matches a used OEM unit found from a pawnshop" (ie get a beaten 200 or 660 and buy the kit to "get into it & learn more" but in seeing how many "fails" are going to be experienced, not because I failed at skill but because Farmertec/hutzl shipped a puzzle whose pieces didn't fit, that's practicing patience not chainsaw-mechanics :p

Latest posts

Back