Farmi 501

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some personal knowledge about Farmi 3pt tractor skidder/winch? It looks like the ideal gizzmo for getting into the woods and pulling tops out. I have 300 tops to clean up and I'm trying to make the job easier than the last time I cut tops (I don't remember that twisted up mess as a positive experience at all). Anyway, the salesman says that the tractor I'm going to put it on will work great (100hp JD). Before I spend $4000, I thought I'd check here. Someone must have one (or another brand like it).

I have one, a 351p (i think that's the model number) on my 40hp kubota. LOVE it. It will be perfect for tops. I use it to skid whole trees, tops, logs, you name it. With a tractor that big you should be able to skid as many as you want in one turn. Just be careful, too big of a turn can do a lot of damage to the residual stand.

I have one, a 351p (i think that's the model number) on my 40hp kubota. LOVE it. It will be perfect for tops. I use it to skid whole trees, tops, logs, you name it. With a tractor that big you should be able to skid as many as you want in one turn. Just be careful, too big of a turn can do a lot of damage to the residual stand.

What do you mean by the residual stand?

He means running into or over uncut trees.

Thought thats what he meant but wasn't sure. I really believe that I will do very little damage if I use the logging road and do a little trimming instead of trying to drag the whole top out, just make a few more trips.

If you scuff up the bark on the trees left behind after the logging operation, it will lead to defects in the next crop of sawlogs. Not a cool thing to do on a properly managed cut.

You posted while I typed. Sounds like you have the right methods figured out.

If you scuff up the bark on the trees left behind after the logging operation, it will lead to defects in the next crop of sawlogs. Not a cool thing to do on a properly managed cut.
I really try to take care of the woods (even though this isn't my woods). If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your skidder? The nearest place seems to be Wisconsin. Also, have you had any problems? Does the butt of the tree ever get hung up on anything?

I bought mine from the same place I bought the tractor at dealer in NH. I never have trouble with the butt of the log getting hung up on stuff once it is skidded in and hooked up to the butt plate. When skidding in to the tractor logs will occasionally hang up on a large rock or high stumps. To alleviate that and reduce damage to other trees I bought the self releasing snatch block that Norse makes for their line of skidding winches. I bought it from labonville. Sometimes a little bit of re-direction makes for a much easier skid.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=121&idproduct=380

I've only had to replace the cable once in 5 years of regular, lot clearing and logging use. Occasionally have to adjust the clutch plate after a particularly heavy pull. Maybe 3 or 4 times.

Last edited:
I bought mine from the same place I bought the tractor at dealer in NH. I never have trouble with the butt of the log getting hung up on stuff once it is skidded in and hooked up to the butt plate. When skidding in to the tractor logs will occasionally hang up on a large rock or high stumps. To alleviate that and reduce damage to other trees I bought the self releasing snatch block that Norse makes for their line of skidding winches. I bought it from labonville. Sometimes a little bit of re-direction makes for a much easier skid.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=121&idproduct=380

I've only had to replace the cable once in 5 years of regular, lot clearing and logging use. Occasionally have to adjust the clutch plate after a particularly heavy pull. Maybe 3 or 4 times.
Thanks very much. I was pretty set on buying one. All the stuff I have read on the web was very positve. Other guys have spoken just like you about the thing. I was just looking for an easier way to cut tops (last time I cut them on the spot and it was a hell of a job.

I use a Nokka grapple that mounts on the 3 pt hitch. Works great, don't have to get off the tractor to hook or unhook, but you have to get close to grab the tree. Also able to pick the butt end high off the ground to keep it clean. Makes tree tops and clear cuts much easier.

Can anyone give me some personal knowledge about Farmi 3pt tractor skidder/winch? It looks like the ideal gizzmo for getting into the woods and pulling tops out. I have 300 tops to clean up and I'm trying to make the job easier than the last time I cut tops (I don't remember that twisted up mess as a positive experience at all). Anyway, the salesman says that the tractor I'm going to put it on will work great (100hp JD). Before I spend $4000, I thought I'd check here. Someone must have one (or another brand like it).
well that sounds like devorce #2 tony. your just gettin out of the dog house on the 6

well that sounds like devorce #2 tony. your just gettin out of the dog house on the 6

2nd time was a lot easier than the first one Henry! Also, this thing look like just the ticket for all these tops I need to take care of. Also, the last time I talked to you, you said something about a bunch of would you picked up. What's the deal?

I use a Nokka grapple that mounts on the 3 pt hitch. Works great, don't have to get off the tractor to hook or unhook, but you have to get close to grab the tree. Also able to pick the butt end high off the ground to keep it clean. Makes tree tops and clear cuts much easier.

Kleek, I originally called all these companies to buy one of them but they all talked me out of the 3pt grapple because the problem with these top is that I can back up to them (too much brush). The grapple will be the next thing. Thanks for the reply.

I have a 501 on a75 HP four wheel drive. My neighbor has one in a 85 hp four wheel drive. I can tell you its the best tool to have on the back of a tractor. Forget all the other stuff. These things are bullet proof.
If the winch won't pull it the tractor won't pull it on snow covered ground. One tractor is a 6200 john Deere the other a 5525. Both with good loaded tires.

A "skidding cone" prevents a lot of hangups, keeps the log butt from acting like a bulldozer and helps prvent damage to growing trees.

https://www.google.com/#output=sear...99,d.aWc&fp=9bd36fa8974cf58c&biw=1010&bih=547

Dunno about that link, recently when I copy links I get all that extrea trash. If it doesn't work a google on "log skidding cone" will bring it up.

To go "cheap" get a hood off an old car, turn upside down, torch hole in the front lip and run your skidding chain/cable through it.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back