farmi jl 601

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm going to be looking at one of these in the next couple of days. The guy is asking $1500 his buddy told me he would go $1250 for sure. Does anyone have one? Is that a good deal? What should I look out for? I don't have a tractor yet I will be buying this for the future.

Thanks Scott

Are they worth it. I want to get into logging doing small jobs. I thought this might be the way to go. Thanks Scott

Id buy it in a heart beat. I just picked up a used FIW3500 logging winch. After a little clutch adjustment Ive got it working pretty nicely. I can not believe I didnt find one of these things sooner. A couple weeks ago I was going after 3 trees that I had taken down earlier in the year. I was waiting for the ground to freeze to pull the trees out. They were cut up into about 11 logs, various size and length. Took a good part of the day to drag them out to my clearing. The biggest pain was getting the tractor in close to the logs to hook them up to the 3PTH and I could really only do 1 at a time. With the winch, in a matter of a couple hours Ive got a stack of logs equal if not larger already stacked. I can hook up 4 logs (depending on size) and pull them to the tractor. Then skid them out to my clearing.
Theres not much that can go wrong with them. I could use a new cable and will probably replace it next year. The clutch disk still has plenty of meat on it. Other than that its just a hunk of metal. Even at $1500, you could buy it, use it and still sell it for $1500.

Oh boy...uh...no way! Those things are WAY too dangerous...OSHA will surely be knocking at your door if you were unlucky enough to get it. Your best bet is to just send me the name and address of the guy and I'll make sure nobody will be harmed by this infernal machine.:jester:

Seriously...grab it. They are not easy to find used, especially for that price. I know 2 guys that have Farmi winches and they can't say enough about them. If it's in decent shape then you found a deal.

I have a 501 (I think). I have it on a 5320 JD. It is an unbelievable handy tool that you will use a lot. Check the clutch out on it and make sure it's not all sprung to hell. If it is in good shape buy it.

No

Are clucthes expensive to replace.

Scott

Clutches are not expensive and on the newer models its a one piece setup, pull it out put the new one in and your done really easy. I asked my Farmi dealer if the clutches ever wore out and he said if it did bring it back and they would replace it for free.

Last edited:
I'd buy it in a heartbeat......if I didn't already have one. We bought a 500 about 15 years ago and it is still going strong. It's about time to replace my cable also, has a few kinks in it, but other than that the clutch is still stout and it works as well as the day we got it. I'm spoiled, and can't imagine logging (for firewood) w/o one. I'd pay $1,500 for it now just knowing that I could surely sell it for more someplace someday (like here).:hmm3grin2orange:

He's going to bring it to where I pick my firewood up. I'll get to see it next Wednesday. He said he would follow me home with it and deliver it if I wanted him to. His friend told me he would take $1250 for it. If it's in any kind of shape I'm going to buy it. Now I'll have to find a tractor to use it on. Thanks for all the advice.

Scott

I got the thing today. It has only been used a couple times. I had to pay the $1500 for it but he delivered it 45 miles. Looks to be in great shape had the manual and everything. Paint is a little faded from sitting out. I'll take pics tomorrow.

Scott

Here are a few pics. I just set it like that I need to stand it up and stick it in the barn I just haven't had chance yet.

Scott

Stand

I can't tell from your pics if that one has a stand on it. Sort of a leg that keeps it upright when you take it off the tractor. When you hook it up it you raise it up out of the way and drop it when you take it off.

Yeah i dont see one eithor. Cant imagine theyd build one without a stand. Nice score. I wouldnt feel bad about paying 1500 for it. I think you stole it.

Ya !!!!! I wood say you got a screamin deal !! Nic score. I have a 601 and love it.

Ya !!!!! I wood say you got a screamin deal !! Nice score. I have a 601 and love it.

Back