Fat Bottom Girl Rehab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Reaction score
I got this Stihl ms441 during the spring of 2011. With all my other saws this one gets used only when time is of the essence so I doubt I have even 20 tanks of fuel through her.

camptrip2003.jpg

Fast forward to the summer of 2012 and to a point where I am embarrassed to say I got careless, I was cutting on a very windy day, My boy and I had just finished up making video's of a couple of saws including the ms441 and got the truck loaded with wood. I set my fat bottom girl on top of the pile of wood in the back of my truck, thinking the whole time that it was not a good idea, and walked to the cab to grab some straps. All of a sudden a gust of wind kicked up and I hear a loud crack. There is my girl laying on the ground with a broken rear handle, Son of a BLEEP. I have not been able to talk about this until now. I picked up the pieces and went home finishing out the firewood season with my 066 as the main saw.

Photo0549.jpg

[video=youtube;SSDOgwDhjQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSDOgwDhjQY[/video]

To Be Continued.................

This last winter I started cleaning house a bit and started to raise a few funds, with one hiccup(MS460) I scratched up enough coin to order a new rear handle and the black top portion of the handle. I ordered the parts last week and should be getting them this week so I tore into the fat bottom girl to get her ready for the new parts.

20130610_172356_zps838a8fc9.jpg

20130610_172416_zps03a1e28b.jpg

While I have it apart I decided to pull the limiter, Who ever it was that posted about using a drywall screw to remove the limiter is a genius.

20130610_172428_zps6d24c7aa.jpg

20130610_172408_zps7daf27b0.jpg

Since I have the limiter remove I decided to do a mild MM, I have to keep it legal for the forest service as it will be a main firewood saw.

Before.

20130611_164029_zps2be763c4.jpg

After.

20130611_164654_zps5a5c781d.jpg

I got the carb parts and muffler back on the saw, now just waiting for that call from the dealer.

To Be Continued........

Well.........After 2 weeks waiting for parts I finally get a call a day before I go on vacation letting me know they are in..........Figures. So today before it got to hot to be outside I put the fat bottom girl together.

20130628_093913_zpsfe96190c.jpg

20130628_093904_zps114affaa.jpg

20130628_111144_zps1ff5807c.jpg

20130628_111441_zpsc448dddd.jpg

20130628_162043_zps2f57ec11.jpg

The only problem I ran into was getting the front handle bar on but after much cursing it popped right on.

I also have a tuning question. What should be my base line setting on my carb now that I pulled the limiters and MM'd the muffler? I think I have them open too far as I am smelling gas and it only pops on the first pull. Too hot to pull on a rope till later so any info now will help. Thanks to everyone who has posted anything about the 441, it is by far one of my favorite saws.

Ouch is right! What happened to that saw?!? Did someone forget where it was put and run it over with a skidder?? (Been there, done that-only it was a cat, the saw was not too much good after that mishap).:dizzy:

Arrrrrgh. This has made me fall in love with the ms441.... I just love that air box...

With my wallet, I see a project 044 being more realistic... LOL

You guys spend too much of my money.....

Jim, it looks like in your picture, you didn't put the limiter caps back on after you pulled them.

That's a bad mistake as they don't have any springs on the screws to hold them in adjustment.

Trim the tabs on the caps and then put them back on.

Working on her skinny butt sister 440. :laugh:

You got some work ahead of you.

Jim, it looks like in your picture, you didn't put the limiter caps back on after you pulled them.

That's a bad mistake as they don't have any springs on the screws to hold them in adjustment.

Trim the tabs on the caps and then put them back on.

Yes, thank you. Seems I always forget something or do something wrong so I get to take it all back apart at least once.

20130628_162043_zps2f57ec11.jpg

The only problem I ran into was getting the front handle bar on but after much cursing it popped right on.

I also have a tuning question. What should be my base line setting on my carb now that I pulled the limiters and MM'd the muffler? I think I have them open too far as I am smelling gas and it only pops on the first pull. Too hot to pull on a rope till later so any info now will help. Thanks to everyone who has posted anything about the 441, it is by far one of my favorite saws.[/QUOTE]

we gots a problem, Houston...yuh see that nice new paint,,and the not so nice older paint,,now you just know,,that aint gonna work. time to part disassemble it,,and get it all looking nice and purrrrty!!!!!!!! :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Ouch is right! What happened to that saw?!? Did someone forget where it was put and run it over with a skidder?? (Been there, done that-only it was a cat, the saw was not too much good after that mishap).:dizzy:

All I know is from story. Firewood cutter dropping tree with wedges, rope etc. The tree went where it wanted to and got the saw. Dont know if saw was caught in cut or laying on ground. :msp_ohmy:

It was a nice like new MS440 that was bought for $225 here local. :msp_wink:

All I know is from story. Firewood cutter dropping tree with wedges, rope etc. The tree went where it wanted to and got the saw. Dont know if saw was caught in cut or laying on ground. :msp_ohmy:

It was a nice like new MS440 that was bought for $225 here local. :msp_wink:

Looks like he eventually got what he paid for. :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back