Faulty AM Coil - beware...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudzone

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Being relatively new at this and purely a hobbyist, I set up a farmertec coil on a Husq 350 port/rebuild project recently. I have done several at this point and this work is generally simple and routine. However, this coil presented some very bizarre behavior that through me for several loops. First, start up with this new coil was perfect-just a pull or two. Strong & steady idle- whatyou would expect from a well rebuilt saw. Second, on a wide-open throttle, it was only revving to about four, possibly 5K. Just enough to spin the chain with zero torque. It behaved almost exactly like revving with your chain brake on.

I then set off on addressing every possible issue I could think of starting with intake, carb and fuel delivery, Impulse problems, intake boot clamp problems, air leaks. Even swapped carburetors, all with exactly the same results.

The seasoned saw jockies here probably would've recognized The coil problem right away; I wish I had!

I swapped the AM coil with an OEM husky coil and the saw starts and runs absolutely perfectly. Two minutes of tuning in the wood and it is ready for many years of work to come.
Fortunately, these are not expensive mistakes and are good Learning experiences.

The other weird one was a new impulse line that kinked and would idle well but die with throttle. Now I always use good OEM impulse pieces.

Not sure if it is worth pursuing a warranty replacement with HUTZL/Farmretec.

Chris

Being relatively new at this and purely a hobbyist, I set up a farmertec coil on a Husq 350 port/rebuild project recently. I have done several at this point and this work is generally simple and routine. However, this coil presented some very bizarre behavior that through me for several loops. First, start up with this new coil was perfect-just a pull or two. Strong & steady idle- whatyou would expect from a well rebuilt saw. Second, on a wide-open throttle, it was only revving to about four, possibly 5K. Just enough to spin the chain with zero torque. It behaved almost exactly like revving with your chain brake on.

I then set off on addressing every possible issue I could think of starting with intake, carb and fuel delivery, Impulse problems, intake boot clamp problems, air leaks. Even swapped carburetors, all with exactly the same results.

The seasoned saw jockies here probably would've recognized The coil problem right away; I wish I had!

I swapped the AM coil with an OEM husky coil and the saw starts and runs absolutely perfectly. Two minutes of tuning in the wood and it is ready for many years of work to come.
Fortunately, these are not expensive mistakes and are good Learning experiences.

The other weird one was a new impulse line that kinked and would idle well but die with throttle. Now I always use good OEM impulse pieces.

Not sure if it is worth pursuing a warranty replacement with HUTZL/Farmretec.

Chris
Email them they will send another.
I'm running 5 am coils no problems i even bought a backup 372 coil that i haven't used.
I have heard of heat related problems with them it's a crapshoot i guess they have different suppliers.
But the am stuff works good for me in my use.

I've had trouble with the Chinese rubber lines i use echo bulk line now.

I've had 2 bad ones in row doing the same thing for the 450.Wont be getting any more of those for that model.

Latest posts

Back