Favorite chain adjusting mechanism?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love huskys, but the stihl's have the upper hand since it is part of the saw and not the side cover.
mike

I think the stihl system is great I find it much easier with the screw on the side rather than the front. I use a scrench to lossen the bar nut and tighten the chain, it is not as easy with the front adj.

Justin Garrison said:
I think the stihl system is great I find it much easier with the screw on the side rather than the front. I use a scrench to lossen the bar nut and tighten the chain, it is not as easy with the front adj.

Same here. The side screw adjust and outside sprocket is great. They should have been standard on all saws 30 years ago.

Harry K

Justin Garrison said:

Husky's have been on the side for five or six years now. Albeit they took the idea from Stihl so I'm guessing.

Chain adjuster:

I like the chain adjuster on my Mono 85. It's spring loaded. Assemble the bar, chain and the side plate. Turn the adjuster till there is compression on the spring, lift the bar an tighten the bar nuts. If the chain gets too much slack, loosen the bar nuts, lift the bar and retighten the bar nuts. The spring loaded adjuster take care of the slack. Not a bad idea from an old saw. Ha, take care. Lewis.

Everyting old is new again.

stihltech said:
The Mono setup sounds good, use something like it to adjust the belt on cutoff saws now.

Everything old is new again.

Stihltech. I have a few old saws and it seems the newer companies could still learn from the older technology. Like the Lancaster saws with its unique style of adjusteer. It was simple, but worked well also. But liked the old Mono adjuster better. Take care. Lewis

Justin Garrison said:
Most quality saws today has the chain adjuster on the side.
mike385 said:
I love huskys, but the stihl's have the upper hand .....
As far as my limited experience goes, you are right that the Stihl's version is better than Husky's, but they are not in the side cover on the Huskys that I have seen......

It is easier to get it right at first attempt on the Stihls, but the difference is marginal.

The most positive adjuster that I have is on my old Jred 621 (front adjuster of course).

Last edited:
Justin Garrison said:

I agree I love the side adjust on my stihl and totally despise competing with the bar and chain when dealing with the front adjuster especially when breaking in a brand new chain

I like the side adjust also, but my saw has the front adjust. I cary a longer screw driver in the saw box, I find it easier to use than the scrench especially after having the bar off.

I like that the stihl side adjustment screw stays stationary and moves the tensioner, on the huskies it the screw moves laterally as you are turning it.

Lucky
AKA buck

TRUSSMAN said:
another vote for the Stihl system
Jeff
Yes :) ,
but Stihls not so smart "bolt and collar" or "stepped bar bolt" system more than compensates (in the wrong way) for that convenience.
Bad design! :mad:

Last edited:
Back