Favorite Crap saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) I just got beat on a $30 craftsman from Craigslist. I was going to use it as my loaner saw. I had a old poulan by sold it at a garage sale the other day. That thing was hard to start if it sat for a few days. Ill keep looking.

Last edited:
Crapsman 42cc, I just modded the crap out of mine. Mildly stuck the ring on the exhaust side(caught the port), got some cleaning up to do. It has always started easy, just lacked power.

Mine is a $15 yard sale find, 42cc Craftsman "Ugly Betty". I've been running it pretty hard, and using for particularly nasty work like cutting stumps and dirty wood, and it just keeps on going. It doesn't have a brake or av, so vibrates like crazy!

Homelite XL
Jonsered M36
Eager Beaver electric I use for cutting lath and plaster.

I need a bigger crap saw that can run 3/8 Inject-a-sharp chain for stumps, dirty wood and cutting holes in roofs. I think my beat up Homelite 360 is a good choice.

say what you want... but one of the best saws... I've ever had was an old craftman with a little bitty bar.

that saw would go and go... it got loaned out and still kept on sawing.
finally it got stolen along with some other crap saws.

My 036 may be the only "non-crap" saw in the lot, bought it new and try to keep it cleaned and adjusted when I am finished with a job. The Jonsered 2050 is still in very good condition and works great, but really who needs a little 50cc saw except for overhead work?

My 066 is built from an old saw with bad bearings (I replaced the bearings, seals, gaskets, installed a new piston and rings). It had a lot of use before I found it.

The rest of the Jonsereds all start and run well, but again are built from e-Bay saws and miscellaneous parts. The 910 may have a bearing on the way out...

and that's it for my regular work saws.

I love my McCullochs and regularly start and run them just to hear the noise, but I would not want to work with them all day long.

The big gear drive Homelites start and run well, but why bother with those big old boys?

O.K. so the king of the junk is the Homelite 28AV or whatever it's called. Somebody gave it to me in exhange for a load of wood, broken handle, still has the nose guard, overall nothing at all to commend it except that it does start and run.

Mark

Back