Favorite saw for aerial lifts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering what saws ya'll like for crane jobs. I need to buy another saw this week for an aerial lift I have to do the first week of Oct. I learned to do crane jobs with an 038 and 20" bar. I like using a dog leash when I climb but the guy who taught me to work off a crane told me to just use a clip when working off a crane. He said the saw was liable to get hung up and pull me out of the tree. Just wondering what your thoughts on that are as well. I'm not crazy about the idea of climbing with a new saw that is not secured to my saddle.

Never heard of any problem using a normal dog leash if you trust the crane operator.... That's a pretty big IF though. I have used a 361 with a 20" and never had a problem so I don't think that you are crazy to use a 038. Another option would be to carry a knife or attach the saw to your lanyard using a larger non-locking biner for a quick and easier relase for the worst case scenario...

The job or tree would determine the saw to be used. Crane work we usually start out with an MS-260 w/ 20" bar b/c you typically make bigger cuts. Switch to a larger saw as the wood gets bigger.

different saws for different jobs

on a crane job, start with the 575 with 24" bar. move to the 385 with the 36 as the wood gets bigger.

when using the Altec 75' bucket truck for removals, i usually stick to the 372 with a 20" bar. pruning i go for the 346 or 338.

For most trees, we use a 372xp with a 20" bar, then switch to a 385xp with a28" bar for the trunk.

I run:chainsaw: with both 372xp and 395xp when taking part in any crane application

i'll usually use the 361 witha 20 inch bar and then switch to the 460 with the 28 inch bar.

Yeah, guess I should have said topside saw. I've got a 440 to pick the spar with. Thanks for the suggestions all.

He said the saw was liable to get hung up and pull me out of the tree. Just wondering what your thoughts on that are as well. I'm not crazy about the idea of climbing with a new saw that is not secured to my saddle.

You could always use a breakaway bungee lanyard. They are designed to break at a pull of 200 lbs. or more.

There are a lot of Arborist stores that carry them. Around $20 I think.

Last edited:
Back