feeling ripped off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZDOG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
a mate of a mate has a small milling yard with an enormous pile of logs of all types (which the local arborists dump there for free, he has more logs there than you would be able to mill in 2 years). i hooked up with him to give my mill a run and check out his lucas mill. he was keen to let me have a play and he also said he had lots of stuff to do so i could give him a hand. so i rock up there bright and early, and find out that the slabber of his lucas was out of order, so i set mine up and cut 14 slabs which took up the whole day (including dragging them from heap with a bobcat). i used all my gear, own fuel, chains (which i had just sharpened the day before) and by the end of the day at pack up time he offered me a mere 2 of the 14 that i had cut. i mentioned that it didn't seem fair and he just said that the value of the 2 slabs was more than a day's pay. feeling so ripped off after all that hard work, anyway, check out some pics; :bang:

a mate of a mate has a small milling yard with an enormous pile of logs of all types (which the local arborists dump there for free, he has more logs there than you would be able to mill in 2 years). i hooked up with him to give my mill a run and check out his lucas mill. he was keen to let me have a play and he also said he had lots of stuff to do so i could give him a hand. so i rock up there bright and early, and find out that the slabber of his lucas was out of order, so i set mine up and cut 14 slabs which took up the whole day (including dragging them from heap with a bobcat). i used all my gear, own fuel, chains (which i had just sharpened the day before) and by the end of the day at pack up time he offered me a mere 2 of the 14 that i had cut. i mentioned that it didn't seem fair and he just said that the value of the 2 slabs was more than a day's pay. feeling so ripped off after all that hard work, anyway, check out some pics; :bang:

If it was your labor with none of your stuff, 2-3 would be okay to me. However, when it is your stuff and your gas, to me you are looking more a "halfsies" at a minimum.

Mark

sorry to hear that OZ.

i guess next time, if you deal with this guy again, maybe you should set up your deal over the phone or before you get your equipment out...

That sucks, bro. I agree with oldsaw. Halfsies would be more fair. Hope it doesn't create a rift between you and the friend that introduced you, or whatever. Good luck with that. Looks like a wonderful setup you have, no matter what the circumstances.

sorry to hear that OZ.

i guess next time, if you deal with this guy again, maybe you should set up your deal over the phone or before you get your equipment out...

My thoughts also... before you start cutting, gotta get that kinda stuff strait so there is no crying over spilled sawdust at the end of the day. NICE milling pics though. That's one heck of a mill.

Happened to me, not just like that. My brothers neighbor offered him a pile of logs, no problem, take em. So I arrange with my brother to get started one day while he was at work. I show up with my mill (no where near the size of yours) and setup. Right before I start the saw, he comes over to talk. Turns out, after seeing the mill setup he wants all the wood. I politely packed back up and drove back home. People get that gold on the brain thing or something when it comes to slabs. That guy is an a$$ if you ask me.

Oz that set up is really genius. Sorry you had a sour experience with it.

:) I don't know if anyone else noticed but is that dog real?:( I am cracking up. :laugh: Good doggie, grrrr!

Keep those pics of the mill coming! I'm secretly stealing them... wait... damn.

I've wanted to build a rig like this for some time. You might just force me to do it.

Great job BTW!:cheers:

Some people are just jerks, sounds like you ran into one. Halvies is fair, should have worked that out before you busted ass. I would be pissed to, heck, I am pissed that this guy got you like that. We live and learn, I know this will never happen to you again.
Neat set up, especially like the auxiliary oiler pump handle, I haven't seen one like that before. I was wondering how long does it take to get it set up and tuned in to cut? Nice pics, thanks,
Mark

Some people are just jerks, sounds like you ran into one. Halvies is fair, should have worked that out before you busted ass. I would be pissed to, heck, I am pissed that this guy got you like that. We live and learn, I know this will never happen to you again.
Neat set up, especially like the auxiliary oiler pump handle, I haven't seen one like that before. I was wondering how long does it take to get it set up and tuned in to cut? Nice pics, thanks,
Mark

Thanks mate ,:D your right about it not happening again,like the saying goes ( suss it out before you pull it out ) As for the mill it takes about 20minutes max, the whole mill breaks down to 5 pieces; rail, 2 rail support frames ,carrige and saw. two people can carry it when it is assembled to the desired log rather than moving the log to it. thanks, more pics soon.

Ripped off OZDOG,bastid! try asking some tree lopping firms your way some will have logs hiding around,i think you should get easily half,if not 3/4 IMHO

cheers

Back