Felling saw...best size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeandLand

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a powerful felling saw that can take a 20" bar. The one drawback of the big saws is the weight. A Husky 372 is about 14lbs and $800. Are there any good saws for about $600 with 60cc or more? I'm hoping for a Husky or Jonsered.
Also....is 60cc a good size, or is it far better to have 72cc? Anyone have experience with these size saws, and what are your opinions?

personal preference

Are you only felling,felling and limbing/how much limbing?Hardwood,softwood?Terrain,Altitude,sharpening skills,dirty or clean wood.Last year for the first time ,I felled Hardwood sawlogs with a modded 5100.Gave up a lot on the felling cuts.Limbing down to a 5-6" top with a 65-70 cc. saw wore me out late in the day.Kept 3 different sized saws on the skidder.In the end I predominantly used the 5100's.Oh yeah,did I mention age.

I have been using a husky 365sp for the last month and I have to say it has grown on me, it is no 372xp mind you but still a nice saw.

That sounds like the size saw I want. However, I have a 2010 price list for Huskys and the 365sp is not listed. The models in that range are just the 359, 460 Rancher, 570, 357xp, and 372xp.
Jonsered has the cs 2165 which is a 65 cc saw and weighs 13lbs. That looks like a great saw but the husky 359 is 59 cc, 12lbs and costs $200 less. I think I might get that one.

I have been using a husky 365sp for the last month and I have to say it has grown on me, it is no 372xp mind you but still a nice saw.

Do you guys know if modern Jonsered saws are identical to Huskys? I ask this because I think Husky parts are easier to find than Jonsered. But, if they are interchangable this is not an issue.

Treeandland that is because husky stopped making them but you can still purchase them through ebay. I bought mine last month for $519 new from a guy in N.Y. I have it set up with a 24" bar with full comp chisel I would like to see how it does with full skip chisel. I would say if you want one act now. It is a saw that can be built up or down in cc's if you want but why go down in cc's.:cheers:

365 husky

A website I was on recently, has some 365s for $549?Seems like a decent price.Not a 72 cc.saw but real decent.Pm me .

Hmmm. I am thinking about getting 2 saws, one for felling and one for everything else. A MS200 and a MS200T? Interchangeable parts if one breaks would be handy but they are kind of pricey.

I have a prted 359 and for both limbing and felling its a workhorse. I run 110 in all my power equipment (more cost on fuel less maintainence is my theory). I would highly recommend the 359

We have used the 365 husky for years for cutting brush to felling 40 inch trees and limbing as well, even in a tree. Great saw, highly reccommended. The 372 is a beast will turn a 20'' bar like its nothing. We have recently went to the 570 husky and it took a little while to grow on me, but it sure has. That thing is heavier than the 365, fatter handle, quiter and less vibration, not to mention the power. This is the saw I now recommend, the only problem is the weight. Good luck shopping. By the way any timber compnay I have worked for uses a 24'' bar on a stihl 460. Seems to be a good combination.

I know you stated that you prefer Husky/Jonsered, so don't ever pick up a Stihl MS361/362. ;) It pulls a 20" full-comp chain (7-tooth sprocket) through any hardwood with great antivibe, good fuel ecomomy, and less weight than any 70cc saw.

If you regularly need to run a bigger bar in hardwoods, go with a larger displacement saw.

Last edited:
I would have to second this. I just love my ms362. Have a 026 pro,046,ms660 and a ms880. I would have to say the ms 362 is a great all around saw. Its have enough power for the big stuff and it is light enough for anything else. I love to use it to cut alot of firewood just becuase of he weight and power. great saw

I know you stated that you prefer Husky/Jonsered, so don't ever pick up a Stihl MS361/362. ;) It pulls a 20" full-comp chain (7-tooth sprocket) through any hardwood with great antivibe, good fuel ecomomy, and less weight than any 70cc saw.

If you regularly need to run a bigger bar in hardwoods, go with a larger displacement saw.

That sounds like the size saw I want. However, I have a 2010 price list for Huskys and the 365sp is not listed. The models in that range are just the 359, 460 Rancher, 570, 357xp, and 372xp.
Jonsered has the cs 2165 which is a 65 cc saw and weighs 13lbs. That looks like a great saw but the husky 359 is 59 cc, 12lbs and costs $200 less. I think I might get that one.

This is the Husky saw, in red Jonsered clothing. They are a different unit than the 359

I have a Husky 359 with a 20" b/c and full of fuel and oild it weighs 17.5 lbs...

The MS 361 was/is an awesoem saw. I have not run an MS 362 but from holding them at my local Stihl dealer they feel the same bulk/weight as an 372xp. Which brings in the question why would you buy a 60cc saw that is roughly the same size as a 70cc saw?

The MS 361 was/is an awesoem saw. I have not run an MS 362 but from holding them at my local Stihl dealer they feel the same bulk/weight as an 372xp. Which brings in the question why would you buy a 60cc saw that is roughly the same size as a 70cc saw?

You have a good point. I've picked up a 362 but haven't run one yet, either. My understanding is that it has a little more grunt than the 361, better fuel economy, and a touch more weigh, but still is lighter than a 372XP (even though not by much). I was attempting to meet the OP's parameters of a $600 saw, 20" bar, and 60+cc with the 361 and threw in the 362 since it's Stihl's replacement. What I really like about the 361 is that if I only have one saw, I can buck and limb with it during long cutting sessions, which is something I can't say for the 372XP or even the MS290 (20", .063 is a heavy combo).

You have a good point. I've picked up a 362 but haven't run one yet, either. My understanding is that it has a little more grunt than the 361, better fuel economy, and a touch more weigh, but still is lighter than a 372XP (even though not by much). I was attempting to meet the OP's parameters of a $600 saw, 20" bar, and 60+cc with the 361 and threw in the 362 since it's Stihl's replacement. What I really like about the 361 is that if I only have one saw, I can buck and limb with it during long cutting sessions, which is something I can't say for the 372XP or even the MS290 (20", .063 is a heavy combo).

AMEN brother! The 361 was such a nice saw it had all the power to fell big stuff and it made an excellant limbing saw. I didnt mind carrying it all day but the 362 seems heavy to me and I know that any more weight beyond what the 361 was almost doesnt make a 60cc saw worth owning when you can have the power and speed of 70cc's. I am currently running a 359 and i am not happy with it. The thing is heavy (17 lbs with 20"b/c and gas and oil and crap under clutch cover) and down on power compared to other 60cc saws. I love 60 cc saws but when they start gettin heavier than 70cc saws i dunno if they are worth it....

Latest posts

Back