Felling Techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Echo video is crap! It's going to mislead someone into thinking you point to where you want the tree to fall, and it will magically happen with the notch and backcut.

At the very end it looks like the dude's saw was stuck. He throttled up but the chain didn't spin. I am right?

Anyway his technique of no flat gunning cut would never work out west in bigger trees and situations where placement of the tree is everything. Must be a GOL guy.

That Echo video is crap! It's going to mislead someone into thinking you point to where you want the tree to fall, and it will magically happen with the notch and backcut.

It's because the guy is a "feller" and not a faller :laugh:

I use this method often

cut-down-tree-0509-lg.jpg

Unless you do something else to that tree, besides walking away from it, it will always remain standing until a wind blows it over. Assuming, of course, that the tree is straight and balanced.

Wedges? Pull rope? Using an existing lean or prevailing wind? Without these factors, that diagram only shows a tree settling on the back cut and pinching the saw.

Unless you do something else to that tree, besides walking away from it, it will always remain standing until a wind blows it over. Assuming, of course, that the tree is straight and balanced.

Wedges? Pull rope? Using an existing lean or prevailing wind? Without these factors, that diagram only shows a tree settling on the back cut and pinching the saw.

Or if you undermined the tree's center of gravity correctly with the proper face cut and proper holding wood placement. It works.

Last edited:
I'm telling ya, that squirrel is a red herring right from the get go.

thought the down arrow was squirrel jump.

thought the left arrow (<--) was the tree setting back.

not much to say bout the hinge and where are the wedges :confused:

:laugh::laugh:

Or if you undermined the tree's center of gravity correctly with the proper face cut and proper holding wood placement. It works.

I can't tell you how many supposedly expert tree workers I have hired that simply don't understand that concept. Honest!

I try to explain it, and I have even had guys walk out of range of the tree and tell me that it wouldn't work. Others will tell me that there is no need to cut that deep, the face cut makes it go that way...

I can't tell you how many supposedly expert tree workers I have hired that simply don't understand that concept. Honest!

I try to explain it, and I have even had guys walk out of range of the tree and tell me that it wouldn't work. Others will tell me that there is no need to cut that deep, the face cut makes it go that way...

The infamous sloping backcut "makes it go that way", too! :hmm3grin2orange:

Gotta cringe when you see those.

Hilarious ... the guy sets the saw down to make his retreat after the tree is already on the ground

Ain't! Where do they find these yahoos? Echo couldn't afford to get a real feller pro, they figured they could get this idiot to do the same thing and pay him in beer. I think a beaver could of felled that tree safer.

Ain't! Where do they find these yahoos? Echo couldn't afford to get a real feller pro, they figured they could get this idiot to do the same thing and pay him in beer. I think a beaver could of felled that tree safer.

Of course they got a real feller.

They just couldn't afford a real faller :msp_biggrin:

do you really think it's safer to put the saw down everytime you fell a tree?

Nice, I never said that or think what you're asking.

Some trees it's safe to leave the saw, some trees it's not. Wait until you trip with a saw in your hand, you'll wished you left it behind. There is always a place to stash a saw in the woods.

Get on some steep ground some day, you'll see ;)

Still cheaper to replace a saw than to replace you.

Last edited:
Back