Felling Techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats the concept to this sloped back cut?? ive seen it done by hydro one crews. do they think it creates a wall so its more likely to fall towards the notch??

Nice, I never said that or think what you're asking.

Some trees it's safe to leave the saw, some trees it's not. Wait until you trip with a saw in your hand, you'll wished you left it behind. There is always a place to stash a saw in the woods.

Get on some steep ground some day, you'll see ;)

Still cheaper to replace a saw than to replace you.

True. Save your saw if you can but save yourself first.

So you make a different face and use a different way to do a back cut on a tree based on it's size?
You cut the small tree one way and a big tree another because they aren't the same size?

Funny you should say that but yeah I do. On small trees that I cant fit my wedge and bar in I do the back cut first insert the wedge and then do the face cut. The cuts are the same just the order is different to protect the innocent.

whats the concept to this sloped back cut?? ive seen it done by hydro one crews. do they think it creates a wall so its more likely to fall towards the notch??

The sloped back cut is another way of creating an anti kick step I personally think it shows lack of skill when I see it done but hey if the undercut is good and they don't cut through it then who am I to say. I can tell you this that it would not pass if you were logging on the hill side. The stump checker would have you fired out of a cannon!

Ohhhhhh ok. I must say it looks rather dumb. Do you or anyone else here do the small cuts on either side of the notch to disconnect bark fibers so it doesn't scar the tree when it falls? They are teaching it just curious who actually practices it.

Ohhhhhh ok. I must say it looks rather dumb. Do you or anyone else here do the small cuts on either side of the notch to disconnect bark fibers so it doesn't scar the tree when it falls? They are teaching it just curious who actually practices it.

Cutting the cheeks of the face is a good practice with some species to limit stump-pull that can occur there.

That little tickle they show on the video won't do anything beyond severing the bark. . . And is stupid.

i can see if the bark held while it was falling and pulled it one way or the other then it would be worth it, first time ive heard about it though. Would have to be some very strong bark and a very small tree i assume.

Back