Felling tutorials

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hello, I have been dropping trees for a while now and I`m increasingly concerned about my limited number of techniques.
I have asked this in the past and few AS members kindly suggested few books unfortunately I couldn`t find.

if you know where to download from or if you know YouTube tutorials or similar sites, please post them here;
I have some heavy leaner old willows to cut in the spring and I also want to practice that technique.
Everything else you might have and I haven`t thought of would be much appreciate and in advance thanked for.
cheers and cut right !

tree felling

just go to "tree felling videos" online and there will be a long list of videos to choose from to instruct you on many different way to drop trees. also included are what not to do. They do make you think.

And they have Videos of complete Morons who have No clue and shouldn't even own a Chainsaw, Let alone drop a tree!

c`mon, throw a bone.
I really need to know all I can learn about this kinda stuff.
where is the knowledge? on what site?

where is the knowledge? on what site?

The best thing is to hook up with someone who actually has a clue. There are some good books available from our sponsors. "To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson is a good book and is very basic. If you don't have someone to help you then read, and practice. Start very small and use good judgement. There are alot of things that can go wrong and hurt you. Youtube has some good vids, however most of the good vids are of guys using some advanced techniques or working on big timber. In general, youtube is a tutorial of what not to do. I guess that in you neck of the woods they do alot of bore cuts and such. IMO a 3-cut fallin job gets it done about 95% of the time for tree guys and firewood guys.

there's no replacement for learning from someone who knows what he's doing. maybe volunteer a couple of days with local forestry/loggers, in exchange for learning? don't know the legal situation where you are though, they may not accept due to training/insurance. worth a try though

Hey Count this off topic but I wonder if you could answer a question for me? In the youtube videos "Steam in Romania #10" there is an orange saw (at 30 seconds in)that has what appears to be tubes near the rear handle that act as a kickstand. Can you identify that saw?

Or maybe someone else might have the answer?

Last edited:
hello, I have been dropping trees for a while now and I`m increasingly concerned about my limited number of techniques.

Are you concerned about your safety when falling the trees? Sometimes just having those fewer techniques will keep things safer and will be less confusing. Work with what you know and become good at them. If you can stay a bit flexible with your current techniques (for all trees seems to present their own challenges and they seem to all fall differently) they will probably be all you will ever need...unless you become a professional faller for a living!

Tree Felling

Coming from someone who has only dropped one tree, those 'Tree Felling' pdfs that Ray put up were informative...thanks for the knowledge!
:highfive:

Are you concerned about your safety when falling the trees? Sometimes just having those fewer techniques will keep things safer and will be less confusing. Work with what you know and become good at them. If you can stay a bit flexible with your current techniques (for all trees seems to present their own challenges and they seem to all fall differently) they will probably be all you will ever need...unless you become a professional faller for a living!

just trying to avoid barber chairs and stuff

Hey Count this off topic but I wonder if you could answer a question for me? In the youtube videos "Steam in Romania #10" there is an orange saw (at 30 seconds in)that has what appears to be tubes near the rear handle that act as a kickstand. Can you identify that saw?

Or maybe someone else might have the answer?

not sure. 372XP ?
for sure is a Husky
YouTube - Steam in Romania, CFF Viseu de Sus 10

Go to the Forestry and Logging Forum and wade through the Falling Pictures thread. Then read the heated Game of Logging threads. You will pick up some hints. I FINALLY understand the Coos Bay Cut.

I will look deeper into the matter;
for now I got the "Fallers` & Buckers` Handbook" I have just printed to keep me busy for the weekend.

Hey Drac!

Some very good info on all the felling techniques you are looking for on YouTube's BC Faller Training Standards. Very thorough, with constant emphasis on safety of both yourself and the crew. ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) channel also carries many helpful videos, although their emphasis is more on tree care. Daniel Murphy has some good info (not tutorials), and the best tip I learned from him is that you don't always have to use your chainsaw..... up a ladder, he hoiks out a hand saw and cuts the branch off.... simple and safe...

Pretty soon you will build up a feel for what is right , and what is wrong. That will help you to weed out the "dodgy" channels, and stick to the proper ones.

Lastly, "To fell a tree" by Jeff Jepson is highly recommended on this site, although I have not been able to obtain a copy for myself yet...

All the best, and stay safe!

Mike

Back