Female climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done any scientific tests or anything, but I'd be willing to bet Chlorox dissipates quicker in the environment and has a shorter "half life" than the toxins you all are talking about. I like the idea of using urea, fertilizer, and whatever that someone suggested. Just because you're licensed to use toxins doesn't mean their toxicity is lessened, it's still toxic. Check out what DDT did to the shells of birds like pelicans. Read "Silent Spring" by Rachael Carson.

It's fine if you want to use that stuff. Just don't try to sell the idea that because you took some courses about applying it, it is somehow not a deadly toxin like agent orange, that no matter how careful you are with it, it's not going to seep into places it shouldn't be.

Personally, I use---nothing to kill stumps, shoots or weeds except old fashion muscle grease. Grind it, pull it, and cut it. Too bad for the folks whose sense of aesthetics is hurt by looking at weeds. Why not just pave over it and be done with it?

I'd rather eat an apple with a worm hole, than one sprayed with alar.

And this is what it turned into.

Jeezum crow, I'm going back over to see what Guido is up to...

attachment.php

Which one is you? ;)

Mapleman:
I haven't done any scientific tests or anything, but I'd be willing to bet Chlorox dissipates quicker in the environment and has a shorter "half life" than the toxins you all are talking about.

Sodium hypochloride is rather unstable and "decays" into sodium chloride, halite or common table/rock salt. Which is why you will have a white powdery film if you mix too much of it whilst cleaning the floor. I doubt you would have any translocation, and just salt the soil a little bit.

I wonder why you guys think salt or chlorox is any less toxic to "gaia" than a much smaller dose of a herbicide specifically labelled and approved for that use?

Chlorox is almost as deadly as bromine fumigant, and it kills everything. That fact that you are accustomed to finding it in your laundry does not make it any safer.

Salt is not toxic except in larger concentrations. So take Bermie's example of preserving native fauna: should we kill a targeted invasive plant, or just do a "scorched earth" treatment of killing everything within 10 feet of the undesirable stump? I can see how a salt pile would do more than kill a few plants, that would probably play hell with sensitive animal species as well. Think exotic amphibians, the soil micro fauna, even your basic earthworms. Then it migrates to nearby water like a small ponding area and kills some stuff there until eventually the water dilution makes it non-harmful.

If you think about it, you are fearing the unfamiliar in your ignorance, and using ecologically unsound, un-approved, and more damaging methods.

Physical removal methods like stump grinding, grubbing out the roots, or killing with suffocation work fine, but they take so much more work.

Great advice and I appreciate it but I believe that it would take a hell of a lot of salt to do the damage you are talking about my friend. People are in the habit of putting out blocks of salt for cattle and deer where I live and it's perfectly legal and acceptable with the DNR here.

I used to be a licensed applicator in a different state than I live now and many years ago. I need to get recertified as I still spray pesticides and need to spray fungicides. I'll be looking for more advice in the future. Thanks for the tip on the fertilizer. If someone don't want to pay for stump grinding I'll usually just leave it at that. I have seen stumps treated with herbicides and kill every neighboring tree as well though.

Heck, at $66 per gallon for generic tordon, I spend less than a dollar on killing the biggest tree stump you can find around here.

How much for 10 pounds of rock salt? And do you really KNOW it will work?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Who would have ever figured we would end up here, having started this thread considering looking at girls humping their way up a tree with a chainsaw?

To be honest, I don't mind derailing this thread anyway, as I thought it a bit demeaning.

I started this thread by saying I like watching woman body thrusting up trees. How is that demeaning? When women say it about men, is that demeaning? When men say it about other men, is that demeaning? It seems we've become so political correct that we can't even state a basic fact of human nature by stating the obvious: that as a full bloddied male I am attracted to certain feminine qualities, ie, the way women move their bodies.

I started this thread by saying I like watching woman body thrusting up trees. How is that demeaning? When women say it about men, is that demeaning? When men say it about other men, is that demeaning? It seems we've become so political correct that we can't even state a basic fact of human nature by stating the obvious: that as a full bloddied male I am attracted to certain feminine qualities, ie, the way women move their bodies.

I think the idea being brought to bear by this gentleman has something to do with women being more than a sex object.

Had you started this thread in some honorable way with respect to professional female climbers and their contribution to arboriculture, with perhaps what maybe attractive about their grace, style, and beauty on the side, rather than a low brow approach, you'd have been better off.

Personally, threads with this intent and those such as "Guido's last attempts at self indulgent attention getting" don't belong in this, a professional forum.

Howbeit, they have their audience, and that's fine, I'm not suggesting there is no place for it at arboristsite, just maybe "arboriculture related fictional and male chauvinistic ( non-PG ) entertainment" would be a fine subforum for such...right next to axmen.

Shucks, Bermie. I don't use bad language, and I don't smoke. Roaches of any kind are completely unwelcome on my lips. And...my forearms probably don't bulge nearly enough to rate any comment either.

You can see me here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1177674&postcount=2

As to grace, style, and flitting: I don't have much of that, either. If it's any consolation, I hardly sweat at all, even in the worst of heat. I'll beat nearly anybody on a long stretch in the heat without any water.
Well how cool is that?

Here's a few pics of my cousins birds. She's never had to have them rescued from trees because she keeps their wings clipped. It's a treat for them to go outside with no worries then.

0607081933.jpg

0607082030.jpg

0607082030a.jpg

I think the idea being brought to bear by this gentleman has something to do with women being more than a sex object.

I started this thread by saying I like watching woman body thrusting up trees. How is that demeaning?

I was kinda put off my by this too. If there had not been so much response, i would have been tempted to report it.

How is it demeaning? Most guys do not get it that having someone stare at their but or bust all day long is harassing. There is a huge difference between admiring someones technique and the way her body moves as she does.

I see it as going back

I was kinda put off my by this too. If there had not been so much response, i would have been tempted to report it.

How is it demeaning? Most guys do not get it that having someone stare at their but or bust all day long is harassing. There is a huge difference between admiring someones technique and the way her body moves as she does.

I see it as going back
You're right J.P. not every minute watching a woman is suppose to be sexual. But if she is wanting you to look at her sexually, then it's on like Donkey Kong. Women get that choice and we have to respect that.
Cheetoschester.jpg

Last edited:

Had you started this thread in some honorable way with respect to professional female climbers and their contribution to arboriculture, with perhaps what maybe attractive about their grace, style, and beauty on the side, rather than a low brow approach, you'd have been better off.

Personally, threads with this intent and those such as "Guido's last attempts at self indulgent attention getting" don't belong in this, a professional forum.

Howbeit, they have their audience, and that's fine, I'm not suggesting there is no place for it at arboristsite, just maybe "arboriculture related fictional and male chauvinistic ( non-PG ) entertainment" would be a fine subforum for such...right next to axmen.

You're entitled to your opinion...to each their own...there is plenty of other fictonal, male chauvinism and "attention getting" going on in this so called "professional forum," as any casual observer can see.

Also, beyond the fiction, I believe there are plenty of references to work technique, safety issues, etc., if one reads between the lines in the Guido stories.

And btw, maybe you should reread the whole of my first post on this thread. Taken as a whole, I don't find it dishonors women in any way. I'm asking others if they've either worked with or seen women climbers working in trees. Since I haven't, I obviously couldn't have started this thread by alluding to "their grace, style, and beauty."

Be this as it may, I respect your opinion and the right to object. If I get more feedback such as yours, Guido and friends will pack up and take their gear elsewhere. But then, if you can hold out for a little while longer, there's only 3 or 4 installments left.

I see it as going back

I see it as a matter of semantics...and why should you let so much response deter you from reporting my post?

You're right J.P. not every minute watching a woman is suppose to be sexual. But if she is wanting you to look at her sexually, then it's on like Donkey Kong. Women get that choice and we have to respect that.
Cheetoschester.jpg
2637728339.jpg

Hey check it out my signature kinda fits my post.

Ok, Bermie, I'll break this down to the "proper" application rate.

Let's take an obnoxious tree that has say, a 50' diameter drip line. That equates to 1963 sq.ft. (182 sq. meters). If this tree were to be sprayed with the maximum rate of tordon 22k (at 64oz/acre), that would be equal to .0451 acres x 64 oz=2.88 oz to kill every tree within that area. If that were Tordon RTU, 11.53 ounces would be enough to treat all the cut stumps within that area, at the maximum application rate.

In my experience, a paint brush works well, but a small spray bottle (like a windex bottle or similar) works better because they are less likely to cause a spill; if spilled, they don't loose a lot of chemical, and the operator is less likely to overapply an area compared to a one gallon pump-up sprayer.

I think 1/2 to one ounce of Tordon RTU is enough to kill all but the biggest of stumps, and there is probably no need to fear death among the neighboring plants. Just spritz the outer ring until it is blue, then stop. No runoff required. (adding a really good surfactant will increase effectiveness without increasing risk)

Hey, at least we've got away from the tordon discussion, ehhh???

I see it as a matter of semantics...and why should you let so much response deter you from reporting my post?

I've been accused of being over sensitive in my policing of the site :laugh:

But if she is wanting you to look at her sexually, then it's on like Donkey Kong. Women get that choice and we have to respect that.

Often true, but firstly, it has no place in the workplace; no matter who initiates it. A woman has a right to not be surrounded by, lewd, rude and crude behavior. Which I saw this as setting the tone of your post;

Ahhh, there's nothing finer.... seeing those hips and butt thrusting up the tree...

Secondly, so many guys with egos think they really are God's gift, and find it unthinkable that a woman would not want them looking.

I failed to finish my last post: I see it going back to the Christian idea of offending another person is a sin, it is not so much the words we use, but that we know that the words will rub another the wrong way.

From a psychological standpoint this is empathy, a mature person tries to understand an others veiwpoint, and is tolerant of that. Which goes beyond "do unto others..."

Often true, but firstly, it has no place in the workplace; no matter who initiates it. A woman has a right to not be surrounded by, lewd, rude and crude behavior. Which I saw this as setting the tone of your post;

Secondly, so many guys with egos think they really are God's gift, and find it unthinkable that a woman would not want them looking.

I failed to finish my last post: I see it going back to the Christian idea of offending another person is a sin, it is not so much the words we use, but that we know that the words will rub another the wrong way.

From a psychological standpoint this is empathy, a mature person tries to understand an others veiwpoint, and is tolerant of that. Which goes beyond "do unto others..."

Point taken...my apologies to anyone rubbed the wrong way

I will say this: I have respect for the women who post here in general and the utmost respect for the climbers and arborist's here for their professionalism and skill. I have learned some things from some of the women who post here and would never want to disrespect them in any way. I also have to say that I have a dogged respect for the kind of grit it must take to make it in a mostly male dominated industry. AS girls rock!

01150701031201040320071125b165b36a6.jpg

Who said anything about the work place?
Dude I used the word respect and everything.

lewd, rude and crude behavior. You got the wrong guy boss.
Go tell mom that!

down with political correct garbage. nothing wrong with looking and commenting to your friends. i agree that girls have the right not to be harassed, but i'd hardly call looking harassment, even staring, even though its disrespectful. whistling and saying lewd things is among the things that i consider harassment tho. imagine if everyone followed sexual harassment laws to the letter. then think of how many people met their spouses at the workplace. do you think all those people followed the laws to the letter? if you dont want to be looked at, stay at home

Last edited:
Ahhh. At last this thread has ended up where I thought it would go.

I am surprised at how long it took this thread to end up here: Guys bickering over how to post on AS.

...With the girls having been run off, not commenting any more.

Come on back, girls! This particular part of the thread is where we need your input the most. If you don't tell us how you feel, then we are not likely to find out, are we?

Back