Female climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised at how long it took this thread to end up here: Guys bickering over how to post on AS.

...With the girls having been run off, not commenting any more.

Come on back, girls! This particular part of the thread is where we need your input the most. If you don't tell us how you feel, then we are not likely to find out, are we?

Isn't the word "girls" demeaning to woman? Semantics...and I didn't start this thread to talk about ogling women while they're working...my opening line was an expression of my appreciation for the female anatomy--GET OVER IT! The thread was started to ask for feedback from those who've worked with female climbers, period.

I've been ogled by plenty of women, and some gay men when I worked in SF--I sure didn't go on and on about it, moaning about how un-PC it is.

Again, I apologize to anyone who was offended, but I don't apologize for looking at women's bodies with appreciation.

Last edited:
Isn't the word "girls" demeaning to woman? Semantics...and I didn't start this thread to talk about ogling women while they're working...my opening line was an expression of my appreciation for the female anatomy--GET OVER IT! The thread was started to ask for feedback from those who've worked with female climbers, period.

I've been ogled by plenty of women, and some gay men when I worked in SF--I sure didn't go on and on about it, moaning about how un-PC it is.

Again, I apologize to anyone you was offended, but I don't apologize for looking at women's bodies with appreciation.

admiring, ogling, to-may-to, to-mah to. again the semantics. excessive 'admiring' is un-PC but i dont think it should be so. i've only met one female climber, she was very butch, honestly if you didnt know her name, you'd swear she was a man. i'm sure she wanted it that way since she liked women (girls).

Boy oh boy, check out for a few days and look what happens!

Ok, my last post about sweaty guys etc...notice the smilies??? I was poking a bit of fun, and I think you all got that ok!

When posting on a forum, one has to be able to read between the lines and make a reasonable guess at overall intent. However this thread first started, and admit it, it got your attention..as one progressed reading the post it did not strike me as overtly demeaning, it moved on quickly to a sensible place and all was okey dokey!

I will be the first to admit I enjoy looking at the well buffed bodies of my male co-workers, what's wrong with that! Where things get off track is continued oogling accompanied by overt sexual innuendo or direct comments, either where the guys don't realize the demeaning nature of their words because they have never had a woman working with them before or where a deliberate attempt is being made to make a woman uncomfortable. I have heard it all boys!
Working in this world one has to decide where your line is, you need to make it clear from the outset to all where it is and beyond that, it is not acceptable. A female working in this field HAS to expect a certain amount of innuendo, to deny the boys that is not entirely fair in my opinion, just as long as everyone knows where the line is.

Today I started a training course at the Regiment, it is a total boy's club, and certain descriptions of chainsaw parts, when delivered by a female, end up in a gales of laughter and some sideways comments! It's NORMAL!
I would have to say in six years of teaching (95% of my students are men) and working I can count on the fingers of one hand the men who have crossed the line into disrespect. It is the rare exception rather than the rule.
The VAST majority of men respect the presence of a female and make every effort to self adjust their behaviour, I deeply appreciate any effort, say a silent thank you to their mums and dads for bringing them up with values, and in that am well able to make room for them to cut loose a little and ignore the occasional things that men will say and do, because they are MEN!

Back to you...:chainsaw:

Last edited:
i think most people here are considerate and mature. i think very few of them would disrespect a woman in this field simply because she is a woman, including me. i dont think the opening post was disrespectful at all, nor any that followed. what redblooded heterosexual man wouldnt like to watch a woman working up a sweat in a tree?

Back to you...

...end up in a gales of laughter and some sideways comments!

Do you use the term crotch, or branch union? I've always been careful not to use "tight crotch" when dealing with women, and find that older men start to giggle when it is used.

With younger people, I've found the best mnemonic for horse chestnut is "big fat sticky buds" gets them giggling all the time. Well I guess that since I'm fortyish now, younger is all relative.

Do you use the term crotch, or branch union? I've always been careful not to use "tight crotch" when dealing with women, and find that older men start to giggle when it is used.

With younger people, I've found the best mnemonic for horse chestnut is "big fat sticky buds" gets them giggling all the time. Well I guess that since I'm fortyish now, younger is all relative.

John, the part about the "big fat sticky buds", thats funny. Thats just exactly how one of my first bosses introduced me and a buddy to the Aesculus. Wher do you guys learn this stuff?? :cheers:

I stay away from crotches...fork, or union.
Today was all about putting grease on the shaft (underneath the needle bearing for the clutch housing) guess what kind of reaction that one got!

Look, its all good, if something vaguely silly helps them remember, so what!

female climber

I stay away from crotches...fork, or union.
Today was all about putting grease on the shaft (underneath the needle bearing for the clutch housing) guess what kind of reaction that one got!

Look, its all good, if something vaguely silly helps them remember, so what!

i bet more men look to see lady in tree
than look up at men in tree

Boy oh boy, check out for a few days and look what happens!

Ok, my last post about sweaty guys etc...notice the smilies??? I was poking a bit of fun, and I think you all got that ok!

When posting on a forum, one has to be able to read between the lines and make a reasonable guess at overall intent. However this thread first started, and admit it, it got your attention..as one progressed reading the post it did not strike me as overtly demeaning, it moved on quickly to a sensible place and all was okey dokey!

I will be the first to admit I enjoy looking at the well buffed bodies of my male co-workers, what's wrong with that! Where things get off track is continued oogling accompanied by overt sexual innuendo or direct comments, either where the guys don't realize the demeaning nature of their words because they have never had a woman working with them before or where a deliberate attempt is being made to make a woman uncomfortable. I have heard it all boys!
Working in this world one has to decide where your line is, you need to make it clear from the outset to all where it is and beyond that, it is not acceptable. A female working in this field HAS to expect a certain amount of innuendo, to deny the boys that is not entirely fair in my opinion, just as long as everyone knows where the line is.

Today I started a training course at the Regiment, it is a total boy's club, and certain descriptions of chainsaw parts, when delivered by a female, end up in a gales of laughter and some sideways comments! It's NORMAL!
I would have to say in six years of teaching (95% of my students are men) and working I can count on the fingers of one hand the men who have crossed the line into disrespect. It is the rare exception rather than the rule.
The VAST majority of men respect the presence of a female and make every effort to self adjust their behaviour, I deeply appreciate any effort, say a silent thank you to their mums and dads for bringing them up with values, and in that am well able to make room for them to cut loose a little and ignore the occasional things that men will say and do, because they are MEN!

Back to you...:chainsaw:

Well said Bermie.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time is:

TREEMEN GET INTO MORE CROTCHES THAN ANYONE

Before we all get our underwear tied into knots, a little antidote:

I had the sticker on my ol' Ford 4WD for years. Once I was at a redlight in Barre, VT. I looked up in the rearview mirror at a couple in a car behind me. They were reading the bumper sticker. She was laughing; he was frowning.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time is:

TREEMEN GET INTO MORE CROTCHES THAN ANYONE

Before we all get our underwear tied into knots, a little antidote:

I had the sticker on my ol' Ford 4WD for years. Once I was at a redlight in Barre, VT. I looked up in the rearview mirror at a couple in a car behind me. They were reading the bumper sticker. She was laughing; he was frowning.

just means she was smarter than he was.

just means she was smarter than he was.

And I think most of we women would agree that this is the norm and not the exception.:cheers::cheers: (Humor, fellas, don't go all PC on me)

Bermie is spot on - there's a line and it's different for everyone, but we all know when our personal line has been crossed. Then, it's up to us to set that person straight.

This whole thing did get out a line Kate.
Let me say I'm sorry for my part.

I'm all for female climbers, good luck to ya. :cheers:
bugs.jpg

No worries - I can dish it out as well as I can take it. None of us would last long in this line of work if our feelings were bruised too easily.

JPS is OK Raymond. A really good guy. I think you would like him a lot if you met him. He, like myself, has been a member here for quite awhile and probably felt that some that he considered friends would be offended by this thread. I kind of worried about it a little myself. The women here bring a lot to the conversation and forum. I would hate to see them feel uncomfortable here and I believe JPS prolly felt the same way.

Should have known they could handle it though. Tree Girls are tuff! :D

JPS is OK Raymond. A really good guy. I think you would like him a lot if you met him. He, like myself, has been a member here for quite awhile and probably felt that some that he considered friends would be offended by this thread. I kind of worried about it a little myself. The women here bring a lot to the conversation and forum. I would hate to see them feel uncomfortable here and I believe JPS prolly felt the same way.

Sorry M.D. I'll let it go. He just rubbed me wrong this morning.
If you say he's cool, he's cool.
Cheetos-1.gif

agreed. wish there were more of them in the field tho. hell, there's more truck driving girls than tree grils

Back