Ficus Tree advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreade

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and found you're site looking for some basic information on ficus trees. I own a condo in San Diego with a decent size backyard (for a condo) and I'm considering removing a decent size ficus tree root. I am going to be installing some pavers to extend a patio, and am planning on running them up around the ficus. The tree is up against a fence and is about 20 feet high. I can see about 5 large roots running from the tree and one in particular needs to be removed to install the pavers.

I am concerned that removing this one root might result in the tree's stability being affected and I wouldn't want it blowing over the fence into the parking lot.

Has anyone dealt with removing roots of trees like this? I understand that they rank up there on the root danger zone among the most invasive and potentially harmful. I don't have any signs of concrete damage so far, and if the roots tend to go deep, I don't think it would be a problem; still I would highly value any advice anyone could give me.

This root is about 3 inches in diameter and runs along the ground for about 4-5 feet from the tree before heading underground.

I can take some pictures if it will help and I do need to get this tree trimmed as well as get advice. If anyone on this board does tree work, or can recommend somebody in San Diego, give me an email or post back. I would rather hire someone that is active on a board rather than picking someone random from the yellow pages.

Thank you in advance for any information or assistance you can provide.

Mike

I'm not a Ficus expert-I 've worked on a couple in atriums but that is about it. Speaking in generalities: Cutting any root is potentially harmful to the tree, 3 inch diameter on a 20 ft tree is substancial-though not necessarily out of the realm of prudence. Installing the pavers over a pre-existing rooot zone is not likely to prove to be in the tree's best interest-is there a possibility of stopping the pavers away from the tree and adding a mulch bed aroud the tree's trunk?:angel:

Thank you for the response Stumper,

I dug this root up a little more this evening and that root looks really substantial. It's the only root I see on one side of the tree. It's 3 inches wide but grows together with another root for a length of about 5-6 inches. It also appears to be at least 5 inches deep. In short, I don't think I'm going to cut it.

I've got a really small space, and the problem that the root causes it that it runs across the entire space. What I'm thinking of doing now is putting a set of pavers on the far side of the root and using that as a spot for my BBQ, while putting something else, maybe a small amount of sod lawn on the other side. Since the root runs almost horizontal across the area, it would make a good seperator, and I don't have to worry about the ficus falling down. I've attached a picture showing the tree. There is a small palm tree(that I'm removing this weekend) in the middle of the picuture and you can see the root running on the right side of it. I highlighted it in red. It runs almost all the way back to the fence.

If I could ask another question, in your opinion, should I remove that little palm tree and throw it out, or check with local nurseries as to whether they want it? I've heard sometimes nurserys are willing to take trees?

Thanks again for the info..

Mike

Nurserys will take palms. More than likely someone will be willing to buy it. Call one of your local nurserys and ask them how much they sell one of those palms for......you may be shocked.

Good call on not removing that root. If it is as substantial as you say it is then I would definitely let it be. As for your palm tree...well, from what I can see in the picture I don't think that's a palm tree, actually. It looks like it might be in the Agavaceae (century plant family), but I'm sorry but I don't know which one. If you are set on taking it out it might be worth digging it out with a sizable root ball and putting it in a large pot. If it survives then you could put it wherever you like.

You're probably right to leave the root. On a tree of that size, you'd likely get dieback from removing that much root. Any chance you can mulch around the tree (a substantial area) to prevent compaction from foot traffic to the barbecue, etc. Also, you may want to monitor your ivy so it doesn't take over your tree.

REMOVE

remove tree now while your problem is small because belive me
IT WILL GET WORSE

Thanks for the info guys,

I believe kowens is suggesting removal due to the extreme invasiveness of ficus tree roots. I've read and heard that the roots can be pretty lethal to sewer pipes and sometimes concrete/sidewalks. Am I right?

But you live in Florida right? I read that those trees can get as large as 60 feet high down there. Mine is currently about 20, and I estimate it's about 20 years old. A whole bunch of these trees were planted when my condo complex was built, most of them 5 feet away from the patio slab and pretty close to the parking lots.

I took a walk yesterday around the complex and checked out the state of the other ficus trees and even though they are all about the same size as mine, I don't really see and indications of roots damaging concrete slabs, curbs, or the parking lot.

It simply doens't rain much down here in San Diego, and these trees only get water from the sprinkler systems. This place is a desert naturally, and could it be that smaller trees are not as aggressive? With the possible exception of sewer pipes, the root systems might not get big enough to lift or crack the foundation of a house.

Just a theory, I am considering removal, but it's a ???? nice tree. Will trimming and branch removal halt root growth to some extent?

Thanks guys,

Mike

It has been shown that root growth is somewhat controlled by chemicals produced at branch tips, but I wouldn't go hacking at a tree to try to stop roots from pushing up pavers. Is there anything in the yard that the roots could overtake/destroy? I don't have any experience with ficus outdoors, so I don't know the extent of the root invasiveness. Maybe the best thing to do would be to enjoy the tree for what it is now, and if it becomes a major problem down the road, consider removal and replacement with a species suited to a small yard. Seeing as it's only 20 ft tall, removal shouldn't be too big of an ordeal...

Thanks appalachianarbo,

I do need to get it trimmed as standard maintenance. I've been here for 1 and a half years and haven't done it yet. It definately could use it and I need some sun in my yard. I was just curious as to whether that would help curb root growth or not. The way I figure it, roots soak up water, and since I've never seen a tree cry or sweat I would assume that once it's got the water it needs for the branches it has, it must stop "drinking". So I figure a well trimmed tree that's not getting any bigger, might have slow root growth because has the roots it needs.

Of course I'm just guessing, but if that is the case I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks again,
Mike

Well, I don't think there's a point where roots stop growing (unless severely impacted by environment, disease, etc.). As you prune branches on your tree, other parts continue to grow (trunk diameter, other branches). In many species, pruning will induce more growth by the tree. Make sure your tree gets pruned correctly. Topping, which will give you a quick reduction in height and leaf area, will make the tree produce vigorous sprouts that will quickly outgrow the original height of the tree. These branches are also more weakly attached than the natural branches. Also, decay can set in readily because of the many wounds opened up by the improper pruning. And it makes the tree look terrible. In short, DON"T TOP IT! A certified arborist can either do the work correctly or guide you in the right direction for doing it yourself. There are alos many extension publications on how to prune (you can also check the ISA website for proper techniques).
As far as the water in the tree is concerned, that is also a never ending process. Water continually evaporates from leaves (respiration). As this water evaporates, the tree trunk and branches act as a big straw, sucking water through the roots, up through the tree, and into the leaves.

Latest posts

Back