Field expedient fixes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used a two part stick epoxy called Magic Bond Putty(I think) with get success. The original batch was a Devcon(I think) product, I do not remember the latest batch. It comes in a plastic tube around 1" x 9" with plastic cap on one end. Cut off the required amount and kneed it until mixed and stick it on. It sticks well for what it is and has been used on oil/diesel/gas/water tanks (plastic and metal). Good quick fix until later. The original batch cured much faster but all held in place under reasonable pressure until fully cured. Small holes with no pressure increase back in service in 30 minutes or less.

A few years ago in my 4-wheelin' days, %0 miles froma anywhere with only what I brought with me, I puntured my engine oil pan and whipped out my emergency-kit-unused gas tank repair putty from Permatex (I believe). Wadded together the two-part putty, pressed it right in the leaking oil, no chance of cleaning etc due to leak. In fact, as I was pressing it on, the oil was flowing between the putty and oil pan...but it stuck, and maybe a half-hour later I was driving. It lasted for years and years and eventually sold car...but I've no idea if it will stick to plastic. But a good story nonetheless.

Welcome to the site cityevader!

Well it sounds like as long as it says that it will fix fuel tanks that it will work for oil tanks.

The saw was an echo cs-340 and the tank is part of the outer case. I think I am going to leave the putty I used on there and see how long it lasts.

By the way it was about a 3/8" hole and I puttied in a couple of finish nails to make the patch "puncture resistant".

Thanks guys for the input.

Back