Figuring log weight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might find this site helpful and I'm sure there are others.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/log-weight
If your wood was green, each log would be approximately 1000 lbs. You'll have to make an estimate of how much drying has occurred.
That one gets suggested after typing log weig don't even have to type any more.

There are a number of free smart phone apps for sawmill related stuff most all will have a weight calculator, some you can input each log and then add it all up.

the OP has to decide where the diameter is measured and how dry.

them gauges tell us if we're going to make it home... alive...
They can also say, hey its time to find a pull out and rethink this trip.
I can tell ya from hard experience, that brake failures suck, electric brakes more so, even one wheel not working correctly can double stopping distances, overheating them (because of wildly overloaded) causes ALL OF THEM TO FAIL, then what? engine wont hold a load that big, so ditch? oncoming traffic? hope for a guard rail?
Or maybe the trailer brakes just don't work, so you slam on the truck brakes, which causes a nearly instant jack knife, really probably the best of all situations as it generally kills the driver and not some clueless yokel on their way home from picking up the kids.
Or you burn up the critically overloaded axle bearings, the wheels just... come off... then what?
That 3500 in yer dodges badge, stands for 3500# load capacity, thats all the axle is designed to hold, there will also be a towing capacity, and thats what the engine and trans is rated for, notably not the brakes, so can it pull it maybe, but stop it probably not.
I agree with you that he is pulling more than he is capable of, but it's not the rear axle rating that is his Achilles heel. That axle is rated at 11k. If Dodge derates it it's due to brakes and or tire rating. The truck weighs probably close to 8k empty with most of that on the front axle. I'm in the process of rebuilding my truck, I've done the research. Screenshot_20220610-215804.png

well, 8000# truck or closer to 9 really. front axle rated at likely no more then 5k, so total gross weight of truck rated at 16k, about average fore a 1 ton truck.
16000- 8000 = 8000 right?
except that a properly loaded truck will have some of the weight shifted to the front axle, at least a third leaving about 5333 capacity for the drive axle, Keep in mind, that is carrying capacity, and not as I've tried to make abundantly clear STOPPING capacity.

As for my comment about bearings failing, I was more concerned about the trailer bearings, unless chuckles has a goose neck/5th wheel set up, in that case 26000+5500 for trailer, 31500 towing weight now figure at least 1/3 for tongue weight.. thats well over 10,000# if loaded correctly much much more than the dana 80 is rated for, especially if you add the say 3000 of truck weight on the drive wheels, Hell thats putting you over legal axle weights let alone bridge weights.

But again, the real culprit here is the trailer bearings and brakes, not to mention having a bunch of weight taken off the front end if its a bumper pull trailer, (I highly doubt that fyi) which would put exponentially more weight on the drive axle... this whole ordeal is just ****ing dumb and dangerous.

Not being sympathetic here but the rough green weight would be around the 16k lb mark. For the load he mentioned. That's perfectly within that trucks capabilities, provided the proper trailer was being used.

From the factory the Dana 60 was rated no more than 4.5k, I think 16k gcwr. The truck doesn't weigh close to 9k, my 2500 which is a set of bed flares and axle upgrade from a D70-D80 the same truck scales at 7k. I believe the braking on the truck is a weak point without a manual or exhaust brake. The drivetrain should pull it, not sure it can stop it effectively. His biggest issue is maintenance. Three overheated. Those factory radiators leak, I know. The clutch fan gets very weak also. Heck, the water pump is great but even the seals get old. I've replaced all of the above on mine and never had an issue pulling a fully loaded dump trailer in the mountains here. It comes down to distance needed for stops, room needed to maneuver, and an attentive driver who knows how to use a trailer with brakes. No where is acceleration a concern I put up there......but I'm still working on my teenage son, he doesn't understand it's not an on/off switch.

Also, I slightly disagree on pin weight for a gn. Most of my reading specs 10% or a little more....maybe up to 20-25% in some literature. Never seen 33% mentioned. Granted I've never driven a tandem axle that could handle a great deal more. Knowing your trucks abilities and specific ratings is important if you want to stay alive and keep others around you alive as well.

Might have a fan clutch going bad, or need to blow the radiator fins out(restricted air flow)
These trucks capture the oil vapor in a black plastic Nalgene bottle that the breather tube is connected to. No one ever checks the bottles. That oil can get all over the radiator and cause blockage issues for airflow.

From the factory the Dana 60 was rated no more than 4.5k, I think 16k gcwr. The truck doesn't weigh close to 9k, my 2500 which is a set of bed flares and axle upgrade from a D70-D80 the same truck scales at 7k. I believe the braking on the truck is a weak point without a manual or exhaust brake. The drivetrain should pull it, not sure it can stop it effectively. His biggest issue is maintenance. Three overheated. Those factory radiators leak, I know. The clutch fan gets very weak also. Heck, the water pump is great but even the seals get old. I've replaced all of the above on mine and never had an issue pulling a fully loaded dump trailer in the mountains here. It comes down to distance needed for stops, room needed to maneuver, and an attentive driver who knows how to use a trailer with brakes. No where is acceleration a concern I put up there......but I'm still working on my teenage son, he doesn't understand it's not an on/off switch.

Also, I slightly disagree on pin weight for a gn. Most of my reading specs 10% or a little more....maybe up to 20-25% in some literature. Never seen 33% mentioned. Granted I've never driven a tandem axle that could handle a great deal more. Knowing your trucks abilities and specific ratings is important if you want to stay alive and keep others around you alive as well.
10-15% tongue weight for bumper hitch. You can play more with a 5th wheel or goose neck, especially if you have a slider. Never heard of 30% on the truck. Even a semi can't have that kind of weight over the tandems.

2001 max tow capacity from what I recall was under 15k with a payload of 4600lbs. The Gen 2's were also rated at elevations up to 4k feet. You were much higher so this needs to be accounted for.
You didn't specify whether a gas or diesel. The gas engines would very likely overheat at that weight and altitude if the cooling system was not 100%. Too much weight at too high altitude for an N/A engine, especially if one does not drive by the capability of the drive train.
If diesel, the above radiator comment is very accurate. I've cleaned several out myself. Also I have seen tuned trucks without the necessary upgrades suffer the same fate.

What was the other truck? You said two different trucks but only listed one. If this is your trailer I'm assuming you know what you are capable of hauling and knowing when you have too much on. Trailer overloaded, tires under inflated causing more work for the tow vehicle. Lots of variables. I didn't think pine was as heavy as some here have said but we don't have it here so I don't know.

This is a pretty typical load for me. A mix of Maple, oak, ash, cherry, walnut, etc. Don't know the weight but these loads all dump easier than known loads of 5 tons by (stone, sand, etc) Keep in mind I'm not at the elevations you are.

Attachments

• 20220313_132546.jpg
    20220313_132546.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
My experience is some what similar to this topic. I live at a 6,000 foot elevation where as the nearby town is just slightly above 1,000 feet. The road goes from 1,035 feet to 6,000 feet in 12 miles. Quite often I will have a 40,000 LB load with the heavies around 45,000 lbs and need to get near the top ASAP. I try to leave early morning when temperature is 90 F or less trying to avoid 100 F plus days. I had overheating problem all day everyday until I said no more. I found a larger radiator took it apart rodded it out then found a larger fan to replace the four blade fan with matching shroud. Then to make it more bullet proof added a seven gallon mister in front of the radiator. End of problem can easily pull the hill in a 100 F day with no issues. It is not difficult to add gauges to rear differential and transmission. The mister really lowers temperature in Differential and Trans on hot days. One thing I really hate is my truck sounds like a tornado vacuum cleaner on steroids. If a truck is overheating a problem exist so the OP needs to remedy problem or burn up and be out of business. Thanks

Just hauled 5 different loads using 3 different trailers and two different trucks. Got hot engine or transmission warning light at trip end every time. That with 4 core radiator and transmission cooler upgrade with deeper pan and cooling fins. How much do dry pine logs weigh - educated guess?

Figure 14" log that is 20' long. Dried for two years in Colorado mountains (dry). Ponderosa pine.
NORWOOD website also has an android app to calc log weights; Now in Google Play also

It is impossible to calculate with any degree of accuracy but one can calculate volute to make a guess. Where a tree grew how it has been stored how much bark was still present so on. Even altitude matters which will describe how dense the wood is. After a few trips on a scale one can come close to what a certain species will weigh. Thanks

10-15% tongue weight for bumper hitch. You can play more with a 5th wheel or goose neck, especially if you have a slider. Never heard of 30% on the truck. Even a semi can't have that kind of weight over the tandems.
Semi's have roughly 1/2 the weight on the truck, sometimes more, all depends on total load, and number of axles.

In reality, the truck should always be heavier then the trailer with semi's, because the engine/trans/cab/steer axles etc each axle can only carry xx amount of weight, so we load them as equally as possible, but the truck nearly always has more axles to load

My log truck pretty much always has more weight on the drivers then on the trailer, its sorta designed that way. 4 axles on the truck and only 2 on the trailer, one of them hits capacity first every time.

Semi's have roughly 1/2 the weight on the truck, sometimes more, all depends on total load, and number of axles.

In reality, the truck should always be heavier then the trailer with semi's, because the engine/trans/cab/steer axles etc each axle can only carry xx amount of weight, so we load them as equally as possible, but the truck nearly always has more axles to load

My log truck pretty much always has more weight on the drivers then on the trailer, its sorta designed that way. 4 axles on the truck and only 2 on the trailer, one of them hits capacity first every time.
I dont/haven't ran any tractor with more the 2 rears, thay wsnt a dump, or roll back. definatly don't carry the bulk of the weight in the tractor. 34k is the federal limit for tractor tandem weight, specifically 17k per rear axle. 12.5k front axle. (Ish depending on mfg, close enough anyway) gives you the potential for about 6k more weight on the truck then the trailer. I don't haul loggs professionally so I'm not privy to all that you guys do or what your allowed weight wise. Amd my small loads I haul for myself and family/friends rarely clips over 14k lbs.

I dont/haven't ran any tractor with more the 2 rears, thay wsnt a dump, or roll back. definatly don't carry the bulk of the weight in the tractor. 34k is the federal limit for tractor tandem weight, specifically 17k per rear axle. 12.5k front axle. (Ish depending on mfg, close enough anyway) gives you the potential for about 6k more weight on the truck then the trailer. I don't haul loggs professionally so I'm not privy to all that you guys do or what your allowed weight wise. Amd my small loads I haul for myself and family/friends rarely clips over 14k lbs.
well, if you figure, that all tandems can only carry 34000, that only gives you 34000 on the trailer, and 34000 on the drives, but as you said, the steer axle carries some as well,
I guess a guy could load the trailer up to weight and say to hell with the truck side, but when you get paid by weight... that seems dumb.
Now, remember you can get a trailer with any number of axles, and i've seen trucks lately with 7 axles, so its all to be taken with a grain of salt.
That said, without a CDL max legal load is 26000#, no matter how many axles, though you still need to have axles loaded to their individual ratings. and its rare to find electric brake trailer axles with a rating over 8k per axle... sometimes 12 if its a dually set up, but them is rare, so even with a 3 axle trailer the trailer would only be rated at 26000, MAX, including trailer.
But what do I know, I just haul logs for a living.

also, the limit is 20k per individual axle, unless tandems which are 34000 combined, then you have single tired axles that can be anywhere from 8k to 20k depending on tire widths and what not. individual states will vary on axle weights, and distances because of bridge laws etc.

well, if you figure, that all tandems can only carry 34000, that only gives you 34000 on the trailer, and 34000 on the drives, but as you said, the steer axle carries some as well,
I guess a guy could load the trailer up to weight and say to hell with the truck side, but when you get paid by weight... that seems dumb.
Now, remember you can get a trailer with any number of axles, and i've seen trucks lately with 7 axles, so its all to be taken with a grain of salt.
That said, without a CDL max legal load is 26000#, no matter how many axles, though you still need to have axles loaded to their individual ratings. and its rare to find electric brake trailer axles with a rating over 8k per axle... sometimes 12 if its a dually set up, but them is rare, so even with a 3 axle trailer the trailer would only be rated at 26000, MAX, including trailer.
But what do I know, I just haul logs for a living.
I'm not really arguing with anything your saying, and I don't haul logs for a living. I also happen to have my class A. So the weight doesn't really matter to me, so long as my equipment can legally haul the weight, when my stuff can't do the job I go borrow bigger stuff that can. Cause believe it or not, you not the only one that knows how to haul something heavy and be legal wile doing it.
Have a pleasant day.

I'm not really arguing with anything your saying, and I don't haul logs for a living. I also happen to have my class A. So the weight doesn't really matter to me, so long as my equipment can legally haul the weight, when my stuff can't do the job I go borrow bigger stuff that can. Cause believe it or not, you not the only one that knows how to haul something heavy and be legal wile doing it.
Have a pleasant day.
No, but you are spouting your ignorance like its the gospel truth, Having a CDL and knowing how to load a truck are 2 different things, having your class A you should already know about axle weights, and tongue weights. Its kind of an important part of the ****ing job

Just hauled 5 different loads using 3 different trailers and two different trucks. Got hot engine or transmission warning light at trip end every time. That with 4 core radiator and transmission cooler upgrade with deeper pan and cooling fins. How much do dry pine logs weigh - educated guess?

Figure 14" log that is 20' long. Dried for two years in Colorado mountains (dry). Ponderosa pine.

I've been overloading my trucks for many years. I have found that the reason engines overheat has very little to do with how heavy your load is. Barring mechanical failures and regardless of any cooling problems, the only thing overheating the engine is your foot.

Take your foot off the throttle! If you aren't enough of a truck driver to discover this for yourself without posting a question online, you aren't thinking about it very hard. You are no longer driving your sporty one ton, you have ventured off into the realm of professional drivers, and you need to manage more weight than usual, and it sure seems like you need to manage more weight than your truck was engineered to carry/tow. If you are overheating, then your load is putting more backpressure on the torque converter and crankshaft, causing more heat to flow into your engine block and coolant. Drive slower, don't give it so much gas, and your overheating problems will probably go away. Use low gear going up hills, even if it is an automatic, and don't go further than 1/2 throttle for an extended period.

Now! Many others here have mentioned that you are overloading your brakes. This is probably true, but that isn't the question you wanted an answer to. Just suffice it to say, if your cooling system will be saved by driving slower, so will your brakes and possibly your life.

Latest posts

Back