File grit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I picked up some Windsor 7/32 files the other day. Tried one but found it was too aggressive, it chattered horribly and didn't leave a nice finish on the cutter. We'll find out how it cuts tomorrow.

Now if I filed from the inside - out it was smoother but left a horrible burr on the cutting edge. The Oregon and Stihl files I had been using were much smoother and I was able to obtain a nice polished and sharp finish (filing outside - in). Does Windsor make a less aggressive file and if so, how do you know what file you're getting (I couldn't find any info on different grit). I see that Pferd offers two types of file, standard (aggressive) and smooth (finer grit). Does any other manufacturer offer the same?

not sure about your original question,but I can tell you that a Nicholson Black Diamond file is about the best you can buy.My experience has been that they file the smoothest and last 3 times longer than any file

kinda partial to stihl files... they seem to work the best of all the files I've used.

have never seen a black diamond file..

not sure about your original question,....

I guess that was a bit ambiguous -- O.K. I'll try again --

Some Pferd files come in standard cut (i would assume a coarse grit) and a smooth cut (finer grit). Do other manufacturers of files offer different grit options? Is there a standard numbering system (as in sand paper) for file grit?

My experience with the Windsor 7/32 file is that it is very coarse, makes filing rather tedious (chatter, chatter, chatter) as well as not providing a nice clean, polished result). In addition, the Windsor probably takes off more material than I require (I touch up each saw with each tank full). [not a question here, I guess it's just a statement].

I cut this morning using the Windsor filed saw. I did not perceive any difference in the cut. Nice beefy chips and smooth cut. I had expected a rougher cut and slower cutting. So I guess the bottom line here is that a nice smooth polished finish after filing is not necessary. However, since I don't need a lot of material taken out with each filing and for ease of filing, I'll be going back to the Stihl or Oregon or trying out Save Edge or Pferd smooth cut.

O.K. I'm done :) :)

not sure about your original question,but I can tell you that a Nicholson Black Diamond file is about the best you can buy.My experience has been that they file the smoothest and last 3 times longer than any file

Nicholson also makes/sells a 'Fine' that will leave a nice finish on a work-chain.

After it's sharp , just a pass or 2 two and it's ready to rock.

A ceramic rod would be peachy for a very sharp chain!

I picked up some Windsor 7/32 files the other day. Tried one but found it was too aggressive, it chattered horribly and didn't leave a nice finish on the cutter. We'll find out how it cuts tomorrow.

Now if I filed from the inside - out it was smoother but left a horrible burr on the cutting edge. The Oregon and Stihl files I had been using were much smoother and I was able to obtain a nice polished and sharp finish (filing outside - in). Does Windsor make a less aggressive file and if so, how do you know what file you're getting (I couldn't find any info on different grit). I see that Pferd offers two types of file, standard (aggressive) and smooth (finer grit). Does any other manufacturer offer the same?

Never tried it outside in - guess i been stuck in my ways - every pro i know has always done inside out.If i ever felt a bur or see a roundness developing, from hitting crap, I pull out the flat.Will try it today. :cheers:

Last edited:
your right ,the finer grit is for fine honing.Kinda like a wet rock for knife blades,the smoother the rock,the sharper the edge,but t you gotta have a good edge to start with.If windsor does make a finer file,it would be good for an already sharp chain and wouldnt eat so much tooth off,kinda for touch ups.

Never tried it outside in - guess i been stuck in my ways - every pro i know has always done inside out.If i ever felt a bur or see a roundness developing, from hitting crap, I pull out the flat.Will try it today. :cheers:

I have heard both out-in and in-out here on AS. The Vallorbe vid. says in-out. I'm with the out-in crowd especially with these Windsor files. If I can see the burr then it's way too much.

So far, using the Windsor file the results are o.k. (3rd. day today) but just can't get use to that chatter while filing. Real graby on small stuff (clearing around tree trunk prior to cutting), chews it up instead of cutting. In the cut tho it's fine. I still can not match out of the box performance tho. On face cuts with new chain I get chips. After a few filings I get big saw dust, cross cuts are fine.

Interesting. I've been sharpening every time I gas up, using 3 strokes per cutter, in-out, with an Oregon 7/32 file. I've just noticed (felt not seen) a slight burr on some cutters. I think I'll try the out-in approach, and/or lighten up the pressure. Maybe I'm hitting it too hard?

Interesting. I've been sharpening every time I gas up, using 3 strokes per cutter, in-out, with an Oregon 7/32 file. I've just noticed (felt not seen) a slight burr on some cutters. I think I'll try the out-in approach, and/or lighten up the pressure. Maybe I'm hitting it too hard?

If you are sharpening every time you gas up, I would say you are definatly hitting it too hard. You should only need one stroke per tooth if you are filing every tank, assuming you are cutting relatively clean wood, and you haven't stuck your saw in the dirt or hit a rock.

craig

The couple oregon files I used were smooth filing (o-i). They left a nice polished cutter. I work in a very dirty environment so I hit those cutters with 5-6 strokes per tank. I never let them get dull. Chain is lasting a LOT longer with this method then when I was putting them on the MAXX. Less time spent sharpening too. Of course with these Windsor files I'm taking a bigger bite out of the cutter which I don't really need. I've gotta switch files.

Back