Chainsaw file choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntegrityCarpentry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What brand and or type of round files do you use?

In my 5 years I have found that older Oregon files are nice and aggressive.
New ones are not, unless oregon has different lines I am not aware of. Sometime in the last few years they changed factory locations and that affected quality. The new type are not aggressive and take much longer to use. That discovery told me there was a difference between files.
Then I learned Stihl files are a step down from older Oregon but actually usable in comparison to the new Oregon files.
I don’t can’t get Echo files locally in 13/64 or 5/32 but they are (whoever makes them) very aggressive, compareable to the old Oregon files.

What files do you use and why? Have you compared them to other files in quality and performance? Where do you get them?

I would like to get more than 3.
I was thinking about ordering some Pferd classic cut( I think they are supposed to be more aggressive than the other Pferd line) or possibly Vallorbe or something else that I get multiple recommendations on.

Thank you so much for your time and sharing of your knowledge and experience. This forum is a great help to me.

Pferd

Ernie
Thank
Oregon has two lines of products. Red box stuff is for consumers, and black packaging is pro.

When it comes to their files the red box ones are made in Taiwan or some place like that, and the black box are Swiss made, and good files. They are what I use. Or Pferd if I can find them.
well maybe I won’t give up on Oregon for files then. Tonight I did for first time notice different colored boxes. However after my last purchase of oregon files I didn’t want to be drawn back in. In your use you also seemed to like the Pferd, did you notice a difference or natural preference? I really don’t want to buy a box of files that I regret instantly lol. Thanks for your time!

One word for crap Chinesium.

USA made the best steel, now we can't make toilet paper. Thank your representatives.
Thanks for the smile. It is sad though..
The government seems to be bought and paid for and representing mostly countries and corporations and entities not the people more often than not.

Thank

well maybe I won’t give up on Oregon for files then. Tonight I did for first time notice different colored boxes. However after my last purchase of oregon files I didn’t want to be drawn back in. In your use you also seemed to like the Pferd, did you notice a difference or natural preference? I really don’t want to buy a box of files that I regret instantly lol. Thanks for your time!
I probably prefer the Pferd to be honest, but more expensive

I use Pferd when I use files, but I much prefer my little 12 volt sharpener, but with diamond bits instead of the stone ones it came with. The stone ones don't last and don't sharpen as nicely as the diamond ones. I've had it for years, and it was pretty inexpensive when I bought it. From what I've seen, they've gotten ridiculously expensive now, for what they are. Might be better off getting a dremel tool for what they're asking and have more versatility.
I'm a weekend warrior, not a pro, and for some reason I can't get a chain nearly as sharp with a file as I can with that little tool.

Latest posts

Back