Chainsaw file choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who made the very profound comment about storing files in straws and not letting them bounce around? I went to find it so I could send to my dad and brother and it got deleted. There were some other great old timer nuggets that I really appreciated. It was one of my favorite comments. I do appreciate all the comments and advice though. I never dreamed so many would chime in on a basic topic such as files. It is very helpful.

Vallorbe is what I use for my 3/8 and I like it a lot, super agressive and it's super cheap as well (I was amazed € 3,50).

Vallorbe is Swiss made and Swiss are good at anything that needs sharpening.

Husqvarna is what I have for .325 but it's less agressive if you ask me, didn't file that one lately.

Vallorbe is what I use for my 3/8 and I like it a lot, super agressive and it's super cheap as well (I was amazed € 3,50).

Vallorbe is Swiss made and Swiss are good ad anything that needs sharpening.

Husqvarna is what I have for .325 but it's less agressive if you ask me, didn't file that one lately.
Thanks for the direct comparison. It’s more helpful than when someone just says what they like. I have Vallorbe now but have never used Husqvarna. I would have tried the Husqvarna eventually so you saved me time and money.

Thanks for the direct comparison. It’s more helpful than when someone just says what they like. I have Vallorbe now but have never used Husqvarna. I would have tried the Husqvarna eventually so you saved me time and money.

Sure thing, you are welcome! That is how it works indeed :)

I will sharpen my 345 with .325 in a couple of hours so I let you know to make sure how I compare them again.

Who made the very profound comment about storing files in straws and not letting them bounce around? I went to find it so I could send to my dad and brother and it got deleted. There were some other great old timer nuggets that I really appreciated. It was one of my favorite comments. I do appreciate all the comments and advice though. I never dreamed so many would chime in on a basic topic such as files. It is very helpful.
Philbert

@IntegrityCarpentry Sorry for the delay!

Today I sharpened my .325 with a Husqvarna file and it's a nice file as well. I must say, there is a real difference between filing a .325 or an 3/8, even when they chains are the same brand/type. The .325 is much easier filed then a 3/8 in my opinion, both chains are quite new X-cut chains of Husqvarna.

I can qualify the Husqvarna .325 file as the same one as my Vallorbe 3/8 and I don't see any degradation. The .325 file is 1,5 years old and used a lot.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Save Edge was my go to for years. Pferd or vallorbe will be next up. Still have a box of save edge 7/32 and 5/32 stashed away though. Down to my last square file. Don't so enough square chains to worry too much about what the next one will be.

Pferd classic is my file of choice and ordered by the 6 or 12 pack, or vallorbe if I can not find the pferd. I got burned on a oregon file kit that every file dulled after just a couple uses so they are avoided no matter the box color.

@IntegrityCarpentry Sorry for the delay!

Today I sharpened my .325 with a Husqvarna file and it's a nice file as well. I must say, there is a real difference between filing a .325 or an 3/8, even when they chains are the same brand/type. The .325 is much easier filed then a 3/8 in my opinion, both chains are quite new X-cut chains of Husqvarna.

I can qualify the Husqvarna .325 file as the same one as my Vallorbe 3/8 and I don't see any degradation. The .325 file is 1,5 years old and used a lot.

I hope this helps you in some way.
On 3/8 chain, file choices are more critical. I have a bunch of Vallorbe files now but before that , oregon file worked pretty good with 5/32 file on 3/8 low profile. 7/32 oregon files are no bueno!!! I don’t have a source for Husq files but it’s good to know they are usable if need be.

Yeah they really are nice, you can feel the bite they have. They’re better than anything I’ve used so far. I got them on eBay, seller has one box left.
More than vallorbe and pferd? A month ago I ordered 3 boxes including one box 13/64 but took a chance and ordered these gems

More than vallorbe and pferd?
I would say so far yes, they seem to cut better. Not talking leaps and bounds here but noticeable. Can’t exactly head down to the local saw shop and buy Sandvik files anymore, so there’s that. Vallorbe and Pferd are still my go-to since they’re readily available. Gonna try some Bahco files here at some point.

I would say so far yes, they seem to cut better. Not talking leaps and bounds here but noticeable. Can’t exactly head down to the local saw shop and buy Sandvik files anymore, so there’s that. Vallorbe and Pferd are still my go-to since they’re readily available. Gonna try some Bahco files here at some

The good oregon files from more than 3 years ago maybe 5 or 6 were made in Portugal. When I found Bahco made In Portugal I decided they would be worth a shot if I couldn’t find anything better than stihl lol. Which are way better than new oregon. If you get the Bahco someday please let me know if you think of it. But with all you have there should be no need for a long time. Thanks so very much. I never would have heard of the sandvik files if you hadn’t posted that. Might seem like nothing but things like this help a lot in the long run.

I keep mine in pieces of fuel line. More protection than a straw

Latest posts

Back