File guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like my stihl 2 in 1 file set simply because I get the teeth and rakers in one shot. I'm surprised how many people don't know the rakers have to be maintained also.
I suppose those same people are the type that don't know, or care how a chainsaw chain cuts. If one is aware that the depth gauges (rakers) are what control the 'bite' of each cutter, then they would never forget to check/bring them down in height when sharpening the cutters.

I'm no pro either. But my chains cut well. Oh, and I ditched the cutter filing guides (Oregon) a few years ago. I'm actually getting better results now. As mentioned earlier, I also do believe the Oregon guides do not allow the file deep enough into the gullet.

I suppose those same people are the type that don't know, or care how a chainsaw chain cuts. If one is aware that the depth gauges (rakers) are what control the 'bite' of each cutter, then they would never forget to check/bring them down in height when sharpening the cutters.

I'm no pro either. But my chains cut well. Oh, and I ditched the cutter filing guides (Oregon) a few years ago. I'm actually getting better results now. As mentioned earlier, I also do believe the Oregon guides do not allow the file deep enough into the gullet.
Definitely a learning curve and individual preferences. Many times, the simplest way is the best way.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Sorry, my reply was not directed towards you whatsoever. I was just making a general statement.

I was trying only to make a point that concentrated practice makes perfect and that my personal opinion of guides/vices for filing is pretty low, at best.

I've been hand filing for >40 years now, a vice makes things much easier. If I'm in the woods I'll cut a kerf in a stump or round to hold the bar

I bought a Husqvarna roller guide for sharpening over a year ago and feel it was very well worth the price, haven’t had to take a chain in to get straightened out since, I believe the roller guide is a very good learning tool and someday I will be able to do a good job sharpening chains without the guide.

What make or model of clamp on filing guides are you fellas using that are not adjustable for height or depth? Just asking as all the ones I have here,collected, are all adjustable for any size file on any chain. I don`t use filing guides myself but they come in handy for beginning filers that I often teach how to file their own chains.

What make or model of clamp on filing guides are you fellas using that are not adjustable for height or depth? Just asking as all the ones I have here,collected, are all adjustable for any size file on any chain. I don`t use filing guides myself but they come in handy for beginning filers that I often teach how to file their own chains.
I have the Granberg file n joint. It has the height and depth adjustments. It works very well. I mostly hand file my regular chains but I use the jig for milling chains.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Back