file guides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what is the best file guide? i have a little sears[noteven a craftsman] that is worn out after many years. i want the best guide that i can get different angles for ripping exp. thanks nfp

whell oergon makes a half way repsectible one. my dad has one and he is pleased with it. i am sure that if you just go lookign you could tell what one will last longer just by the way it is constructed. so happy shopping

I use a number of different sharpening tools. Stihl's round file holder/guide (which is a dead ringer for the Oregon equivalent), the Pferd Chain Sharp (aka Husqvarna Sharp Force) and the file-n-joint guide. The Chain Sharp is neat as it gets the tooth & depth guage at the same time. It holds both a round file & flat file.

<a href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1520748&a=12961219>See my photos of Sharpening at PhotoPoint</a>

Larry

Hi NFP,

I agree with hogluvr, get the Husqvarna/Pferd Chain Sharp. I think it is the fastest, easiest, reasonably accurate way to sharpen a chain. Make sure the chain is adjusted fairly tight and that the chain bar groove is still fairly tight too to get the most out of any on-the-bar chain sharpening system.

I know I'm gonna get ripped for this, but I never used one. I learned how to use a file from an old-timer, and tend to be rather precise(my friends call it anal-retentive). Had a friend check my chain on my climbing saw one day with a file guide and it was dead on after I had been sharpening it 2-3X per week for a month. :rolleyes:

re

i heard the other day stihl is coming out with a new "atop"guide for chisel chain I saw a file it looked real trick---anyone no anything about it ???

I know I'm gonna get ripped for this, but I never used one. I learned how to use a file from an old-timer, and tend to be rather precise(my friends call it anal-retentive). Had a friend check my chain on my climbing saw one day with a file guide and it was dead on after I had been sharpening it 2-3X per week for a month. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with treeclimber, my grandpa taught me how to sharpen a chain years ago with just a file. Granted I shortened the life of many chains learning, but I would like to say that I can sharpen a chain as well as just about anyone now. Of course I dont make a living with my chainsaws per say like many on this site, but for my cutting duties it has worked well. I play around wioth the depth gauges sometimes also. To me it is kind of therapy throwing a saw in the vise, grabbing a cold one and a file,set my butt down and relax for awhile. Just my .02

i heard the other day stihl is coming out with a new "atop"guide for chisel chain I saw a file it looked real trick---anyone no anything about it ???

Yes i know about it ,,,
Talked to the designer of it yesterday, Stihl and Wallorbe is testing it right now and from what I understand they are happy about the result of it, you can look at the intended files at another forum they are a joy to use allot less "bumpy" in the cut then other chiselbit files I tested !
The guide is going to work with allot of the chiselchains on the market but will be perfect for the Stihl RSLK chain :)
A chain I can't get my hands on here in Sweden :(

what is the best file guide? i have a little sears[noteven a craftsman] that is worn out after many years. i want the best guide that i can get different angles for ripping exp. thanks nfp

The Husky etc combo roller guide and raker guide is by far the best one, ime.

They have to be modified slightly, for use on Stihl chains, as the cutter hight doesn't decend at the same rate.

The most important thing is that they keep the file at the right hight - you may need to use some "kentucky windage" to get the angles right (or as you want them).

The raker guide on them excells in that it adjusts the raker to the tooth in question, and not to an "average" of several ones - this is really important!!!!

Last edited:
The Husky etc combo roller guide and raker guide is by far the best one, ime.

They have to be modified slightly, for use on Stihl chains, as the cutter hight doesn't decend at the same rate.

The most important thing is that they keep the file at the right hight - you may need to use some "kentucky windage" to get the angles right (or as you want them).

The raker guide on them excells in that it adjusts the raker to the tooth in question, and not to an "average" of several ones - this is really important!!!!

+1

The files for the Atop truesquare giude ,,,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back