File into or out of the Cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

File into cutter or out of cutter

• Into Cutter

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • Out of Cutter

Votes: 76 71.0%

• Total voters

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive done the search and waded thru many threads on chain filing. I bought the Stihl benchmount file earlier this year and havnt used it yet but would like to start. I have always used my 511A (hydro assist) to sharpen my chains. So do you prefer file into or out of the cutter

I kind of figuired so, even though the booklet says to file out of it .
I tried one filed into the cutter and in my opinion it was allot sharper than what the grinder can do! Wow, the grinder might start collecting dust....

Out. I know many are going to disagree but, I would put my edge against anyone's.

If you file out of the cutter it will leave a small burr but that burr will be gone as soon as you hit wood.

I file into the cutter because I find it is easier to file. It seams to not chatter as much and it is easier to hold the proper angle.

This could be just me though.

I did notice that it files smoother going out but it feels so much sharper filing in, maybe because there is no bur.

My experience is opposite to me it feels like the file is just gliding over the tooth(not cutting).

Maybe its my jig, when I file into it and once the cutter takes the shape of the file it doest chatter, but it makes a noise like a wine glass when you run your finger on the rim

Heres the burr file out

use the hook as a guide

attachment.php

Maybe its my jig, when I file into it and once the cutter takes the shape of the file it doest chatter, but it makes a noise like a wine glass when you run your finger on the rim

I do not use a jig I freehand maybe that is the difference.

I would learn to freehand it is much faster.

I also have a grinder but I only use it when have a really dull chain.

Into the cutter is my method because it's like sharpening a drill. Start at the cutting edge to eliminate a bur. If you however are not secure in your ability to hold the angle, than out would be easier, the edge just looks less sexy. Just my $.02

Out. Never saw it done any other way. Also, a slip could hurt a little more filing in, IMO.

use the hook as a guide

attachment.php

If that's meant to be square filed, you've missed the corner completely.

Square filing, which has taken me some time to learn how to do properly, needs to be filed into the cutter, mainly so to make it easier to see that you are filing properly, getting the working corner spot on. also creates a better, sharper edge, with an inside burr.

I file out, because it is so much easier, and I can feel the file taking a bite. Touch-up is three strokes, and I can feel when the tooth is sharp by the feel of the file. Weird, but it seems to work for me. If I were using a carborundum or stone, I would lkely file inward.

Back