File into or out of the Cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

File into cutter or out of cutter

• Into Cutter

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • Out of Cutter

Votes: 76 71.0%

• Total voters
In, the same way i sharpen my knives. The chain seems to stay sharp longer than the out method...but it could be the results of a deteriorating brain...:givebeer:

RD

I do both, so I only have to rotate the chain once. That is I alternate in and out on every other cutter. Itry to switch the way the saw is in the vice on alternate sharpenings.

My chains seem to cut just fine. straight with nice big chips.

Last edited:
Out. When I first started filing I tried out-to-in but got too much chatter and could not get a good smooth stroke. I may have to give out-to-in another shot now that I have the feel of the file down... Or not.

If that's meant to be square filed, you've missed the corner completely.

Square filing, which has taken me some time to learn how to do properly, needs to be filed into the cutter, mainly so to make it easier to see that you are filing properly, getting the working corner spot on. also creates a better, sharper edge, with an inside burr.

Square filing,,, No Way,,,, I don't waist my time on the chain,,, way tooooo much cutting to do,
I keep 3 or 4 chains with me at all times when the chain gets dull I swap it out for a fresh chain, at the end of the day I step over the the grinder and grind away. must be the angle of the shot.

By the way;
that is a stihl green chain and cuts through ash and elm just fine, and if I keep it out of the dirt it last all day.

Last edited:
Aside from square filing, I bet not one in a hundred file outside in doing round chisel filed on the bar. The chatter unless you take a pinch grip on the cutter with the other hand, makes for a slow job.

If you are grinding or filing in a chain vise, yes you could do it outside in but the difference in cut times would be hard to measure and I am willing to bet file life would be a lot shorter.

:cheers:

in

use to file out,switched to in

did chatter a lot the first few attempts,lighten up on the file and it's as smooth as out

use the hook as a guide

attachment.php

Umm... This actually cuts?

File into so as to not leave a bur on the cutter.

The way I understand it, the cutters are purposely plated on the outside so that when you file out, you raise a sharp bur of chrome. I used to file in like you would sharpen a knife. Now I file out. The sharpening seems to go much easier also. I touch up without marking the cutters or even looking to see where I started. I can feel the one I started with. It's very noticeable. As soon as I take a stroke, I can feel that it's already sharp.

I have never square filed. I should give it a try.

My 2 cents.

Umm... This actually cuts?

Thats FUGLY! I could freehand better than that after too many beers!

In vs out, I've done it both ways. I do it mostly out just because that is the habit I've developed. It might leave a little burr, but doesn't seem to matter much cutting firewood. I actually prefer freehand over my grinder.

Thats FUGLY! I could freehand better than that after too many beers!

In vs out, I've done it both ways. I do it mostly out just because that is the habit I've developed. It might leave a little burr, but doesn't seem to matter much cutting firewood. I actually prefer freehand over my grinder.

:chatter:

OP: I also have the Stihl bench mount guide. Absolutely love it. I used to file in, but it does chatter a lot when doing it that way. It gets that squeak thing going on, and it seems like it's going to make my fillings fall out! So I recently switched to going out only. In addition to being smoother and quieter, the chains seem to file faster, and the files last MUCH longer. I used to get 2 maybe 3 chains out of a file. Now I get a dozen sharpenings or more. It does leave a small burr, but it's gone after a couple cuts anyway. And as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't affect cutting speed. I'm very proud of my chains - they rip right through the wood, and don't seem to require much HP. And hold an edge quite awhile. I cut with one for several hours last week-end and it was almost as good at the end as it was first thing. Then hit a hunk of metal fence buried in a hickory. Rats!

As stated earlier, in is the only way to go when square filing. BTW - the clamp on the bench mount guide is GREAT for holding the tooth when square filing. Just remove the file holder assembly and flip the chain stop out of the way and go to it.

Back