Filing chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Oregon bar-mounted file. I keep 3 chains for each saw, when one dulls, swap chain, keep 'cuttin...no time for field filing!...burns too much daylight.

I use Oregon bar-mounted file. I keep 3 chains for each saw, when one dulls, swap chain, keep 'cuttin...no time for field filing!...burns too much daylight.

I bet you'd find if you free hand filed you could file as fast as you could swap out a chain.

I dont think I ever tried a guide Ive always sharpened with a file no guide since I was 16 yrs old. I guess I got lucky my dad and his old timer wood cutting buddies always did it like that and I just caught on. I dont have much trouble getting off angle. If I put them on a grinder I do it myself or let one guy do it at the local hardware store, any time Ive tried any one else they either burn my chains up or dont take off enough and I have to go back with a file anyway!
:greenchainsaw:

I'm fairly new to filing chains but I can hand file way faster than I can swap a chain (18" bar). I used a husky roller guilde for a while but free hand it now..the guilde helped me see what I was suppose to be doing but now I just file every fill-up or maybe two if I'm near finishing something so the edge isn't really gone....maybe all the years of doing bodywork on cars etc has got me used to sanding/filing straight...I don't know, but mounting all these contraptions on the bar seems to take longer than it takes me to file...I thought maybe I was crazy and really was doing a crappy job so last week I put a fresh chain on....felt the same as my hand filed chains...

Latest posts

Back