Finally a 50cc for the quiver!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel-lineman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got the itch for a smaller saw a while back but I just wasn't sure witch route to go, the 60cc class or a 50cc. After lots of reading and talking to other folks on here I decided a 50cc would fit in nicely with the saws that I currently have. The next question was do I buy another Stihl or another Husqvarna? With all the ranting and raving about how great the 346XP is I decided I would go that route if I could find one. I found a dealer with 3 in stock and a great price, the downfall was that they were an hour from my house and my time after work is very limited with working 12 hour days lately, so with mandatory training this week and getting done early with it yesterday I finally had some free time to go shopping. I headed out this morning to the Husky dealer and walked in the doors and it looked like a ghost town in there, not another customer in sight and nobody willing to help. After looking around on the shelf for a while I didn't notice any XP saws on the shelf other than a 372, or as most of you on here call them the 372XT. Anyway, I walked up to the counter and asked about the 346's they had in stock, and you would of swore I asked them to give up their first born child for them to look, well magically after checking the computer they still had 3 in stock, but after 45 minutes of looking around the shop no 346. After a little bit more looking he says give me your number and I'll call you when I find them, I said don't worry about it and walked out the door. Now I'm starting to realize why nobody else had walked through the door in the hour and a half I was there. So on my way home I stopped at the local Stihl dealer which is only 10 minutes from my house and have a great relationship with everyone that works there. My luck turned around and there's a 261 sitting on the shelf and about 20 minutes later it was sitting in the back of my truck. So far I've only run two tanks of gas through it and I think it's great. I'm very impressed with the torque this thing has for all the bigger it is, I like the weight of it (My 395XP doesn't bother me so why would this one) and seems to sip fuel, and handle well. I don't own a ported saw but I'm hoping to make this my first one before too long. Sorry about the rant, I guess I'm just excited! Thanks to everyone on here for all your help.

Cool beans man, good for you! And poopedy poo poo on the retards at the husky shop, how could you not find a freeking saw for sale??? I am incredulous at that.

What I meant was I was having a hard time finding a new one at a dealer. I realize that there are plenty of used ones around though.

It hasn't so far, very strong for 50cc. Seems to have way more grunt than my 260 I have on my truck at work.

Is your new 261 an M-Tronic?

No it's not

Congrats on the new saw!!!!!!

And yes get it ported.

:rock::rock::rock:

I plan on it. I was planning on running it stock for a while though.

I do not think those are out and when they do come out I would think it would say MS261C on the side if it was.

:cheers:

No they are not out yet and the dealer said he doesn't have any idea when they will be but heard rumours that they are coming

Or at least don't hesitate to open up the muffler and retune...:cool2:

I'm still looking around for a few threads/write ups on opening up the muffler on these things. Maybe I can tinker with it tomorrow a little bit.

Right on! Hell just re-tune, stihl tunes them leaaaannnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/212605.htm

Thanks for posting the thread LowVolt. Once I get some time on this thing and won't feel so bad about screwing something up on it I'll be sure to remove the limiter.

Sorry about the slow response time. I left the house at 5:30am and got home at 10:00pm. I appreciate everyone's feedback and help.

I would love to go to a gtg and run a ported 261. I have a funny feeling mine would be inside a box inside the back of a brown truck real quick! I'm hoping to make it to the one down by Pittsburgh later this year. I'm sure somebody will have one down there thats ported and would be nice enough to let me run i.

Latest posts

Back