Finally bought a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a tractor last night. I bought a Allis Chalmers 190xt series 3. It has a loader on it. Pretty decent old tractor. It should work well for me. Pics will come when I get it home.

Scott

That's a pretty good sized tractor. What do you plan on using it for?

A guy I went to school with farms with one around here. No loader but his has a cab. 90HP Desiel. Is yours gas or desiel??

Cant wait for the pics.

I'm going to use it to cut 50 acres of hay this year. I also bought it running my Farmi 601 skidder winch. I doing a decent amount of small logging jobs right now.

Scott

Photos?

How many horsepower?

Tractor.jpg

Last edited:
Tractors are like chainsaws in that more power is not a bad thing! That looks like a good tractor. I have an International 656 that works really great for tree duty.:clap:

I sent a rollback after the tractor today and he couldn't get it. He said it was to big for his truck. I'll have to go another route.

Scott

Those ol 190xt Ally Cats are like the Energizer Bunny, they keep going and going and going. Do the regular maintenence and it should last you a long time.

Tractors are like chainsaws in that more power is not a bad thing! That looks like a good tractor. I have an International 656 that works really great for tree duty.:clap:

Utility or row crop? Stlfirewood.. sounds like to you need to hire a semi to tow it or find someone with a 1 ton and a tandom axle duelly trailor to deliver it to ya.

Homestead

Last edited:
I have a ford F-550 just don't have the trailer to haul it. It will find it's way home one way or another.

Scott

How far and what traffic?
an hour of roading was not unusual on the farm, goes quick.
we had a neighbor who drove a tiny D2 cat back from north dakota. took days, but he was wierd in many ways......

190 were major styling and technology leap forward for AC back then. good solid tractors. we also had a 7000 series and it was good. just too little changes, too late to save the company.

I have a ford F-550 just don't have the trailer to haul it. It will find it's way home one way or another.

Scott

If it's not very far away just drive it home. How many hp is it? What year is it? I love my Alis-Chalmer 5050, but it spins alot in the woods. But it bales hay real well.

I would just drive it but the water pump is leaking a bit. I have already ordered a new one. It's a 71 model. It's rated 90hp. The guy told me it made 109 on the dyno.

Scott

Scott; congratulations- the 190 is a good tractor. I recommend that when you fix the water pump, that you flush the cooling system thoroughly and add a good coolant conditioner to the new coolant. Also; some of these tractors developed a problem with jumping out of gear on hard decelleration. If you have not checked the tranny yet, find a good hill, drive down it and throttle back in each gear to see if it will jump out. You don't want to find out the hard way, and don't ask me how I know that.

Back