Finally bought a tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photos?
Tractor.jpg

With that size tractor who needs a chainsaw!! Put a brush hog on it and you can have a beer, drive, mulch, and cut firewood all in the same time and still not break a sweat:cheers:

Thanks for the advice on the coolant. The tractor is a 2wd. I don't think the 190 was made in a 4wd. I went to an auction today and picked up a 9ft disc mower for it. I have 50 acres of hay waiting on me.

Scott

just too little changes, too late to save the company.[/QUOTE]

the economy tanking is what killed allis--not there design. they had a lot of money out, and it killed them.. they were just ready to put a 400 hp 4 wheeel drive out to the market when they died. and they all were destroyed!! deere dealer said he got a copy of a letter when they died, from the corporate office, that said deere could relax now!!!!

just too little changes, too late to save the company.

the economy tanking is what killed allis--not there design. they had a lot of money out, and it killed them.. they were just ready to put a 400 hp 4 wheeel drive out to the market when they died. and they all were destroyed!! deere dealer said he got a copy of a letter when they died, from the corporate office, that said deere could relax now!!!![/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt that Alice was ever a threat to JD. AC was simply an affordable tractor.Most of their dealers were long time Mom and Pop type shops with a pretty loyal customer base.. At least around these parts.

the economy tanking is what killed allis--not there design. they had a lot of money out, and it killed them.. they were just ready to put a 400 hp 4 wheeel drive out to the market when they died. and they all were destroyed!! deere dealer said he got a copy of a letter when they died, from the corporate office, that said deere could relax now!!!!

I seriously doubt that Alice was ever a threat to JD. AC was simply an affordable tractor.Most of their dealers were long time Mom and Pop type shops with a pretty loyal customer base.. At least around these parts.[/QUOTE]

Another sad note on the state of affairs in this country. Tractors denote old America where mom's and apple pie ruled. You can drive around the country side here(Maine) and see farm after farm after farm with not one single animal on them, when I was a kid they were all active. There are several Kubota dealers near here and they all have an amazing amount of tractors and equipment on hand, I would dare venture millions of dollars worth just sitting. No farms, no tractors needed. Hobby farmers are waiting for their 401k's to reload before they buy anything.

My my, I believe I hijacked a thread. Sorry. :cheers:

Last edited:
Who ever you get to haul it; make sure they stuff a shop rag into the exhaust stack. The bearings for the turbo can be galled by turbo spinning during transport without any lube feed.

Will not always happen; but it is better to be safe than replacing turbo.

That is if it is a diesel and has a turbo.

Before I got the Deere that was going to be my pick of tractor. I like them but something much newer came along and it was another color. But here again I like AC got a "52" CA right now.

he had a tractor dyno'd?!!?

Kunes,

Tossing a dyno on a tractor at the shop is normal, and one way to check wear and tear.

No big deal really, the PTO dyno takes 10 min. to slap on and run, and most of the larger shops have one, as all they are is a calibrated hydraulic brake.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hate to put ice water on a Allis love fest but worked on them for several summers as a mechanic. They do have a lot of power but that was also their downfall. I replaced the injectors on a lot of them but the main problem was in the drivetrain. Would work great for pto use but did have some pulling problems.

Great advice about stuffing a rag in the exhaust to keep the turbo from spinning.

If you ever load it on a trailer make sure the brakes are locked together or a wild ride could happen.

Hate to put ice water on a Allis love fest but worked on them for several summers as a mechanic. They do have a lot of power but that was also their downfall. I replaced the injectors on a lot of them but the main problem was in the drivetrain. Would work great for pto use but did have some pulling problems.

Great advice about stuffing a rag in the exhaust to keep the turbo from spinning.

If you ever load it on a trailer make sure the brakes are locked together or a wild ride could happen.

Neighbor had one he used with 6 row mounted cultivator. Front end would come off the ground when he picked the cultivators up and turned at the end of the field.

Most people in that time period would buy next size smaller than they wanted then crank up the fuel. A rear end designed for 90 horse would be driven by a engine now cranking 130. Weakest component breaks first.

Not the best idea for a long life span.

Can anyone help me with a hay question concerning round bale weights? I'm doing my property on shares and would like to get an idea on bale weights for four foot wide bales of different diameters. All the searchs seem to show how to calculate storage losses not bale weights. I did see a rough estimate of 10 lb/cu ft. It seems that there should be an easy to use table somewhere. I'm a bit of a hay rookie, any good informational websites would be appreciated.

Can anyone help me with a hay question concerning round bale weights? I'm doing my property on shares and would like to get an idea on bale weights for four foot wide bales of different diameters. All the searchs seem to show how to calculate storage losses not bale weights. I did see a rough estimate of 10 lb/cu ft. It seems that there should be an easy to use table somewhere. I'm a bit of a hay rookie, any good informational websites would be appreciated.

Disclaimer I have never tried to put in a link before. Hope this works. It is a table from New Holland with baler models widths and diameters.

We generally consider the "standard" round bale of hay to be about 1500 pounds. Type of hay (timothy, alfalfa or clover) and moisture content will all effect weight.

If you need to get real picky, weigh all the bales at local grain elevator or truck stop.

http://www.newholland.com/h4/products/products_series_detail.asp?Reg=NA&RL=ENNA&NavID=000001277003&series=8087811

flxblx posted a good link/estimate on weights but not all round balers are created equal i.e. weights vary by machine and type of forage. 1200 - 1500 is a decent guestimate for "average" sized bales here as well.

In this area shares means the person supplying the labor and machinery to cut/bale the hay usually takes half for GRASS and GRASS/CLOVER mixes ... not for alfalfa.

Many times the landlord will also sell his half to the tenant for market prices as well. Again this is for pasture and grass hay mixes not for straight legume stands.

The link worked just fine and was helpful. I know there are lots of variables involved in the final weight, I'm just looking for ballpark figures. I noticed the chart listed variable density. I'm not certain the farmer is giving a fair split on the bales. Next time I hope to have my own loader and make more of the decisions regarding who gets what bales. Thanks for the help, don't want to hijack the thread. Most tractor guys seem to have a wide range of real world knowledge so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

You are correct Slinger.

There are too many variables for a definite answer.
Definition of shares can vary quite a bit also.

Neighbor had one he used with 6 row mounted cultivator. Front end would come off the ground when he picked the cultivators up and turned at the end of the field.

Most people in that time period would buy next size smaller than they wanted then crank up the fuel. A rear end designed for 90 horse would be driven by a engine now cranking 130. Weakest component breaks first.

Not the best idea for a long life span.

These aren't things you can fault Allis for - Operator error [no front weight] And buying a tractor thats too small ?

My neighbor does my 40 acres on shares. It is grass meadow and I think the bales usually are around 1200-1400 pounds. The bales sit until about December and then he takes a random sample and weighs them to come up with a total estimate. It is easy for him to do as he has a scale with his feedlot.

Back