Finally found a project. 371xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gafirefighter

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Today I bid on and won a 371xp on everyones favorite auction site. I am not sure if I got a deal or not, but it is one that I have wanted for a long time and now it is mine.

So, in the next couple of days it should be on the way. I am already excited. According to the seller it is running. He stated that in boggs when he throttles it and dies out coming down from high rpm's. Also, he says you sometimes have to choke it to get it restarted.

The plug wire is missing the boot and is wrapped around the plug, so that will need to be addressed. Other than that the stop switch is not working, and there are a few cracks. In the pictures it appears to be in pretty nice shape. I am not really worried about the minor cosmetics because this will not be going to show anytime soon.

So I started thinking about how I want to attack this. I do not know what the p/c look like and it may not matter. After I tear into this thing I may go with one of the after market BB kits from Baileys. I am planning on a carb rebuild, and will more than likely replace the crank bearings. I want this thing in top notch shape, and too give me many years of service.

So what do you all think? Is there anything special that I should plan on doing? This is my first build and I want to make sure I get it right. Once it comes in I will certainly get some pictures up.

Once I get my new 372 in the next week or so, I will have a great combo. I can not wait.

Be safe,

Adam

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Guess you're card was faster than my checkbook!!! :clap:

I think it was a decent buy. Don't think you'll get hurt on it. I might know someone who needs some parts.... :)

Or is it; I know someone who has some parts?

Fred

gafirefighter

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Guess you're card was faster than my checkbook!!! :clap:

I think it was a decent buy. Don't think you'll get hurt on it. I might know someone who needs some parts.... :)

Or is it; I know someone who has some parts?

Fred

I will let you know what I need and you can just pull it off of yours. You are not using it anyway, right? :). I hope I did not steal it out from under you. Of so, I will make it up to you bud.

Adam

AUSSIE1

AUSSIE1

Al.
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
Adam, I fitted one of the Baileys big bore kits, modded the muffler to my 371XP and it is neck to neck with my run in, new, muffler modded 385XP.

With the 371XP, stock, apart from being a great saw, I felt it lacked in the lowdown department in our hardwood.
Not now.

Fantastic project saw.

Wanted a bigger saw, hence the 385XP.
Bugger!

Al.

gafirefighter

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Adam, I fitted one of the Baileys big bore kits, modded the muffler to my 371XP and it is neck to neck with my run in, new, muffler modded 385XP.

With the 371XP, stock, apart from being a great saw, I felt it lacked in the lowdown department in our hardwood.
Not now.

Fantastic project saw.

Wanted a bigger saw, hence the 385XP.
Bugger!

Al.

That is the way that I am thinking about going. Not sure yet. Once I get it in and opened up I will decided.

I have heard that BB kit sure makes a runner out of it though.

Adam

kurtty

kurtty

ArboristSite Operative
the 371xp is a damn fine saw. you wont be able to tell the difference between the 371xp and the 372xp. they feel pretty identical in the cut. the plastic on them sticks out a bit more over the muffler which is nice because it sheilds your hand from the heat.
they only have one piston ring where as most 372xp's have two but it doesn't seem to change the dynamics of the saw much at all.
if the P/C are shot, definatly go for the bailieys BB kit. they have increadable performance for the price and i would take one over an OEM P/C anyday.
good luck on the repairs you need to make.

gafirefighter

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
the 371xp is a damn fine saw. you wont be able to tell the difference between the 371xp and the 372xp. they feel pretty identical in the cut. the plastic on them sticks out a bit more over the muffler which is nice because it sheilds your hand from the heat.
they only have one piston ring where as most 372xp's have two but it doesn't seem to change the dynamics of the saw much at all.
if the P/C are shot, definatly go for the bailieys BB kit. they have increadable performance for the price and i would take one over an OEM P/C anyday.
good luck on the repairs you need to make.

Now I just need to find the money for the repairs. :dizzy: I am sure I will come up with it some how.

Adam

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
..... where as most 372xp's have two ....

That is only in some markets......

I believe the most important differences is that the 372xp case is beefed up somewhat (believe it is in the crank bearings area), and the 372 has a side chain adjuster ("afterthought" - but works well, anyway)......

Last edited:
gafirefighter

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Hopefully I will have it running soon and I can compare it to my 372 (if I can get it out of my father-in-laws hand). Soon I should have another 372 on the way so that it can have someone to keep it company.

CAD sucks,

Adam

Latest posts