finally going bulk... ordered a 100ft roll of 3/8 .50 chain, any tips making loops?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
finally going bulk... ordered a 100ft roll of Oregon 3/8 .50 square chain.

I've never made up chains loops before. Any tips?

Last edited:
Guaranteed you will make up one or two with either the preset or the tie strap upside down or the tie strap inside out AND upside down. Really light pressure and many many turns is NOT the way to go. It makes a nice looking head but does not swell the shank of the rivet out well into the tapered hole of the tie strap.. Put a drop of oil or better yet never seize on the end of each rivet (saves wear on the anvil) and bring on the pressure fairly quick as you feel it yield. If you continue to spin after the head is well formed you will start to spin off thin wire edge smears of the rivet across the tie strap. I have had some anvils that were duds; either too hard and shattered or too soft and lost the critical forming shape.

For a 100 foot roll.., buy the bench mounted tools...

Bang a nail in the bench, and put a marks at your common chain lengths - you'll never miscount again.

thanks everyone!!

already got a bench breaker and granberg tool

which bench spinner tool should I be looking at?

chain tools.JPG

Last edited:
thanks everyone!!

already got a bench breaker and granberg tool

which bench spinner tool should I be looking at?

chain tools.JPG

Copycat ; Looks exactly same 2 tools I have for chain. I have had 2 granbergs and the haven't held up well for me. I bought a bench breaker same as yours that I break with and spin with the granberg for now but I am looking forward to a bench mounted spinner. Thinking of getting the Bailey's combo. Any body have ANY thing good or not so good on Bailey's spinner or braker ?

Copycat ; Looks exactly same 2 tools I have for chain. I have had 2 granbergs and the haven't held up well for me. I bought a bench breaker same as yours that I break with and spin with the granberg for now but I am looking forward to a bench mounted spinner. Thinking of getting the Bailey's combo. Any body have ANY thing good or not so good on Bailey's spinner or braker ?

Got the baileys breaker and spinner. Good combo for the money and my useage. I've went through a 50 roll and 1/2 of a 100 foot roll in the two years I've had it. I don't go through a lot of chain, but a fair amount.

Haven't wore down the anvil on the spinner yet, and haven't broken any punches either.

I would buy them again if I had to. Sometimes they offer the combo with the chain chart. I'd get one of those too. I mounted mine on a 1x6 so I didn't have to worry about tearing up the chart on the workbench. The 1x6 stores neatly in the corner of the garage.

Last edited:
+1 0n the nail and marks, it is so much faster and easier than counting.
+1 on using firm pressure and quikly forming the rivets. I use a little EP grease on the spinner.
The Baily's combo works good.
With any punch, you must line up on the center of the rivet and the link must be in the anvil properly or it will break or bend the punch.

Got the baileys breaker and spinner. Good combo for the money and my useage. I've went through a 50 roll and 1/2 of a 100 foot roll in the two years I've had it. I don't go through a lot of chain, but a fair amount.

Haven't wore down the anvil on the spinner yet, and haven't broken any punches either.

I would buy them again if I had to. Sometimes they offer the combo with the chain chart. I'd get one of those too. I mounted mine on a 1x6 so I didn't have to worry about tearing up the chart on the workbench. The 1x6 stores neatly in the corner of the garage.

Same here for me, right down to the 1x6 in the corner. Good tools. I have used other brands, some were better some were not. If I wanted another set I would buy it from Bailey's. I like the ratchet adapter in the spinner. My Windsor spinner has to short of a handle for my comfort.

Questions??

How much did you pay for the 100' roll? Where'd you get it from??? How much will you actually save buying like this??? What type of chain??? I know I know, but before I start looking to make my own I'm wondering if it's really worth it for what I pay for chains now...

:popcorn:

I have the baileys combo

On a 100 foot roll of chain there is approximately 1640 DL. So that will make 22 72 DL chains.
So if you paid 200.00 for a 100 foot roll you will have roughly 9 bucks per chain.

How much did you pay for the 100' roll? Where'd you get it from??? How much will you actually save buying like this??? What type of chain??? I know I know, but before I start looking to make my own I'm wondering if it's really worth it for what I pay for chains now...

Shipping 100ft rolls of chain from the US to the UK certainly saves money. What is more important is the convenience. Need a new chain - then make one. No need to go to the shop (which in my case is a way away).

At least where I am, some rental places put on a new chain each time they rent out a saw. I thought it was a dumb idea, until I asked if they would sell me the once used chains. They said no, but they would give them to me! I have tons of chain, and not a safety one in the lot. :clap:
The breaker and spinner come in handy for resizing. It might be worth asking the rental places in your area if they have "used" chain that they want to get rid of. In the US, they'll probably say that they would like to give it to you, but if you cut yourself, they don't want a lawsuit. :dizzy:

total newbie at making loops.... are you sure you want to use my chain loops? :D

paid $199 for roll + shipping for 3/8 .50 square, round was $25 higher. don't know if it's against rules to post name of where I purchased it from. PM if you want to know..

was getting ready to purchase 4x 84 drive links and 4x 72 dl loops for $125. which would have used 1/3 of 100ft roll. so.. $75 more to get 3x as much chain.

it was time to go bulk...

Glad to hear you are keeping your saws hot buddy. Can you make me some chains??? :D

OK... here's my first loop. 72 DL

followed everyone suggestions. broke an old 72 DL chain, then stretched new chain parallel to old. no counting, no mistakes.

marked link by dremeling off top of rivets. link pressed right off with no problems.

fun part was next... that granberg tool does work, but sure takes a fair bit of effort to get done. discovered best way was to squeeze vise grip hard as possible. then place a fresh drop of oil right before spinning. sure glad, a bench mount spinner is enroute.

after I got done and inspected my work.... was really pleased at results!!!!

chainbreak2.JPG

chainbreak.JPG

Last edited:
Back