finally going bulk... ordered a 100ft roll of 3/8 .50 chain, any tips making loops?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paid $199 for roll + shipping for 3/8 .50 square, round was $25 higher. don't know if it's against rules to post name of where I purchased it from. PM if you want to know..

Did you get a free hat with the roll? If so, thats where I get my chain also. They are also one of the few pro shops who ship Stihl chain!

If it was the same preset and tie strap you show above the join, then you have the tie strap inside out! If it was a different brand tie strap then it may be correct.

finally going bulk... ordered a 100ft roll of Oregon 3/8 .50 square chain.

I've never made up chains loops before. Any tips?

Tips ya say, ya dayumm right. Heres a tip. Look closely at this chain.

Check out these next two pics, both of the same chain. A new chain righ out the box.

attachment.php

Both pics are of the same chain. Look closely at the second pic. Here's the warranty claim I sent Stihl on that chain.

Part Number
Quantity
Description
Failure Code

3624 005 0072
33RSC3 CHAIN RAPID SUPER, 4.39 FT.
Saw Chain [Other]

Please explain failure (20 character minimum)

Was in the process of selling this saw. After taking the customer through all the in's and out's I took the saw outside to fire it up. Upon starting the saw it made a terrible clicking noise. Faster you reved it the faster it clicked and the louder it got. Told the customer there is something wrong. I pointed out the noise to him and he didn't seem to hear it like I did. I sit the saw aside and got him another one that was perfect. I explianed to him its Stihl policy the saw be perfect before it leaves with the customer. He was quite happy with that policy. After he left I inspected the bar and chain for right pitch and it was correct. Tried the saw again and the clicking was awful. Called Don about it and he said check it out farther and see what I could find. I took the bar and chain off and fired up the saw again. No clicking. Checked the bar tip, sprocket was right, sprocket on the saw was right. Inspected the chain itself and found the problem. Where it was put together they had installed the tie strap up side down. Called Don back and suggested we find the guy who put this chain together and give him a swift kick. This is the very first Stihl chain I have ever gotton that was put together wrong. Very unusual occurance but sure is embarrassing happening with a customer intending to buy the saw you just talked up as a good choice. I suggest we find the man at the factory that put this chain together, tie him to a bed and have a fat ugly woman with no hair or teeth have her way with him so he will never mess up another chain again!!!LOL

Yeeeeeks..... no upside down tie straps for me..
carefully checked both sides of tie strap, other than one side is smoother. no difference.

got cocky getting my first one right of the bat.
oppsss... here's my second effort. which will be pressed back apart, headed for a new link.

now I've got granberg tool clamped in a vise to make spinning easier and to keep rivet head straight. can't wait for my bench mounted spinner to get here.

chainbreak4.JPG

chainbreak3.JPG

Last edited:
Yup, gotta watch that upside down tie strap....I'll admit I'm guilty of it when I first started spinning my own chains. I notcied it right after I spun the 2nd rivet.....So I threw it on the breaker and popped it apart only to find that I was out of presets...lol. Got a big bag of extras now, lol.

I never ran it, so I don't know what it does on the saw, but I would imagine the chain would bind going around the rim and the nose sprocket.

If it was the same preset and tie strap you show above the join, then you have the tie strap inside out! If it was a different brand tie strap then it may be correct.

I had a bunch of oregon persets and tie straps that don't have the lines on them like the rest of the chain links have on them.....Makes for finding the master link if you have to brake them down for one reason or another.

The only thing i've found on the oregon tie straps (for the presets) are a small dot dead center of the tie strap on one side. The other side doesn't have the dot.

Maybe mine are all old links. I bought a bag of about 100 of them from an older dealer that had piles of old chain parts. Scored a bunch of 1/2 presets for a friend of mine a while back from the same guy.

You're right about the tie strap but I sure hope you're wrong about the woman. :cheers:

LOL, no kidding. The guys at Stihl got a kick out of that warranty claim I sent in. Thats the first Stihl chain I've ever run across that was put together wrong. I bet I've handle well over 10,000 chain loops so I guess I was due one screwed up one.

Yup, gotta watch that upside down tie strap....I'll admit I'm guilty of it when I first started spinning my own chains. I notcied it right after I spun the 2nd rivet.....So I threw it on the breaker and popped it apart only to find that I was out of presets...lol. Got a big bag of extras now, lol.

I never ran it, so I don't know what it does on the saw, but I would imagine the chain would bind going around the rim and the nose sprocket.

It makes the saw sound like something is knocking. You get this real loud clicking sound. Its that upside link, the flat side, knocking on the sprocket though it sounds like its coming from the engine..

LOL, no kidding. The guys at Stihl got a kick out of that warranty claim I sent in. Thats the first Stihl chain I've ever run across that was put together wrong. I bet I've handle well over 10,000 chain loops so I guess I was due one screwed up one.

We see a few from Carlton and Oregon every year. The chain loops are still assembled manually at both factories and I assume they are also done that way at the Stihl factory in Switzerland. If you ever watch how quickly the folks put together chain loops, you would assume it would happen more often. From what I have seen, most loop assembly is done by women, mainly because the parts are so small.

We see a few from Carlton and Oregon every year. The chain loops are still assembled manually at both factories and I assume they are also done that way at the Stihl factory in Switzerland. If you ever watch how quickly the folks put together chain loops, you would assume it would happen more often. From what I have seen, most loop assembly is done by women, mainly because the parts are so small.

Well Nick I'll tell ya it was a surprize for me being thats the very first one I've ever run across. That ole saw had me scratching my head for a bits. Learn something new everyday I reckon. If I ever hear that sound again I'll know exactly what it is..

Well Nick I'll tell ya it was a surprize for me being thats the very first one I've ever run across. That ole saw had me scratching my head for a bits. Learn something new everyday I reckon. If I ever hear that sound again I'll know exactly what it is..

Yep, I am sure Stihl has one of the best quality control systems available to modern day man. It may be a collecters item!

All the tie straps I have used definitely had an inside and an outside. There is a taper in the holes that will keep a tight rivet shank even if the head is ground off as you have probably seen in some of the competition chains. Put it together the wrong way and you dont have the same effect. Some brands have a dot inside and others a dot outside and you have to examine the hole quite close to see the taper.

Latest posts

Back