finally going bulk... ordered a 100ft roll of 3/8 .50 chain, any tips making loops?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had trouble with my first spinner. would crack rivet no matter what I did or how I operated spinner.

since this was my first go at forming rivets.... couldn't figure out why all my rivets were cracking. tried new side straps and new anvil.... exact same results.... cracks on new rivet, which were too large to run.

drove me nuts... after studying spinner. came to conclusion rear tail stock was too loose. as you turned handle to tighten down rivet against anvil. rivet would wiggle all over the place because threads were too sloppy. this resulted in cracked rivets.

ended up purchasing a GB brand spinner. tailstock threads were very tight. spun like a champ! good rivets each and every time.

put a dab of grease or a drop of oil on anvil before you start spinning.

make sure side plate is aligned properly. it only goes one way. notch side facing inside of chain. tapered hole designed to grab rivet as it enlarges. oregon chain side plates has a dot that faces outside.

if cranking clockwise, spin right rivet first. anvil will grab a little, that's normal. but if anvil grabs hard as you crank down, carefully check threads on base for tight tolerances.

if threads are a sloppy fit with base, as you crank down handle to apply pressure to rivet. head will not rotate perfectly round (wiggle). this moving target will cause anvil to grab rivet excessively as rivet rotates in a non-concentric circle. result will be a cracked rivet.

my first bench spinner came with a defective spinner base. cracked rivets will result. here's a few pic's... bottom two pic's are the same rivet from two angles. shows cracked rivet from top and side view.

chainbreak8.JPG

chainbreak9.JPG

chainbreak10.JPG

Last edited:
Bump.

This chain repair looks to be some complicated business. I can break and remake a bicycle chain, but this is much more involved.

I have a question: I recently got two 18" 3/8 pitch Stihl chains for 7.50 apiece. I notice they are green label, with these huge bump links on them. Can I remove these, or grind them off, or what?

046, I wonder if there was a problem with the anvil that you used on those rivets. I have that same spinner and did break an anvil. I made another up but spent a lot of time getting the angles and shape just right, centred, and right depth. There is more to to the profile of the spinner anvil than meets the eye. I am using an anvil from the Oregon unit now but it has no head on it and had to have a spacer placed in its socket to locate it properly.

nope.. anvil was fine. I even got another anvil to try out. exact same rivet cracking problems. even talked to the oregon rep. who also suggested a new anvil.

couldn't figure why my rivets were cracking. finally.... discovered threads on rivet support rod were so sloppy. rivet had no chance to form properly. when I cranked down to increase pressure. rivet wiggled all over. anvil was forced to form a moving target.

results was a broken rivet every time. since I was a newbie to spinning. didn't know if something I was doing was causing this.

once I figured the real problems causing this. I purchased locally a GB spinner from new old stock. wonderful quality.. threads very tight, came with two sets of anvils. new spinner worked right the first time and every time after that. problems solved!

bottom two pic's shows nice rivets. second pic by new spinner, third pic by break-n-mend tool.

chainbreak11.JPG

chainbreak12.JPG

chainbreak13.JPG

Last edited:
dont get the breaker and spinner from baileys i have it sucks by it from Oregon tom trees

I bought breaker spinner from baileys 3 or 4yrs ago, have made over 100 chains with it,the trick is to oil each rivet befor spinning this combo works verry well for the price,it is all in learning to operate it properly.........

I've got Bailey's combo right now and it works fine. You guy's need to remember that just because you had a problem, doesn't mean it's a bad product. They are all made by people, and all people screw up once in a while.
There is one Monday in every week, and that is when most human related screw up's occur.;)

Andy

totally agree!!!

just because you get a bad one... doesn't mean all of them are bad too. don't think Baileys got to be where they are by purposely selling bad product.

you don't see me bad mouthing the first spinner. just because I got one with defective threads. sent it back and made sure second spinner had tight threads. problems solved...

I've got Bailey's combo right now and it works fine. You guy's need to remember that just because you had a problem, doesn't mean it's a bad product. They are all made by people, and all people screw up once in a while.
There is one Monday in every week, and that is when most human related screw up's occur.;)

Andy

Latest posts

Back