**finally got my new saw** looking for input/recommendations on ms 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John C

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So im pretty new here and loving it...great people and very useful. Anyway, my name is john and im from central mass. I cut trees for a living and mess with saws in my downtime. Im no chainsaw expert like a lot of you guys but im learning quick. By far the best hobby ive ever had. So i have been bringing saws back to life and then selling them for a small profit. I take the money i make and put it aside. If i do a saw that i like, i keep it.

My saws: Stihl MS 362 (20" 3/8 full skip)thinkin 25" for when i need it...y/n?? (BRAND NEW TODAY!!!)
Dolmar PS-510 (18"&20" full skip)
Stihl 026 (16"&18")
Jonsered Pro-35 arborist (13")
Pioneer 1074
Homelite 600D (BEAST)
Homelite Super XL auto
Homelite EZ auto

What im looking for is input, recommendations, and experiences (good and bad) you guys have had with the 362 now that its been around for a few years now (from homeowners to pros)...i read an old thread from back when they first came out but now that more people have put hours on them, whats the word? Any input would be appreciated...it hasnt touched a log yet!!! Cant wait!!!

Thanks,
John

PS- My boss is already talkin dookie sayin his Husky 359 will eat my 362 for breakfast...so first thing monday morning were goin at it Stihl timbersports style on a red oak log!!!

362 is one of my favorite saws. Do a port job on the muff and retune. You can have that takin care of over the weekend and be ready for the show down on monday. If you need more than that the sky is the limit.

You might want to wait till it's broke in before you go racing LOL .
A MM and limiter tab mod are a simple free upgrade , I wouldn't worry about dust cutting wood in NA .

Ran 3 tanks through nice and easy yesterday and today...and i actually did notice some dust under the TWO air filters it has....hmmm.

Never had a chance to really test it, but I put some grease on the filter between it and the carb plate.

Did the same with the 441's HD2 filter. Will say it is a MUCH better setup than the 362.

I just used the red automotive chassis grease on mine, figure wheel bearing grease would work too.

K&N has air filter sealing grease, but have never tried it or anything. I would have tried it though if the grease idea wouldn't have worked. Course it could be just dust going through the filter itself I suppose.

As said, don't know that it helps, but figured it couldn't hurt.. :smile:

Last edited:
It takes at least 25 tanks to feel the real potential of the 362. They are really good running saws. A muffler mod will do wonders for performance and throttle response.

I would run full comp chain on it with the 20" bar and save the skip for the 25". It'll cut alot better with full comp on 20" bar.

If you keep the chain good and sharp, the filter issue won't be much of a problem. If you need to throw a little grease to it then go ahead. You should be happy with it's performance. They will completely own a Husky 359 or 357 all things being equal. I hope with the skip chain and the saw being new that you can beat him. I know it will after it's well broken in and with full comp chain.

Just stick with it for 25 tanks or so. Muffler mod it if you want to. A Muff modded, well broken in 362 is a powerful little 60cc saw.

Yeah i just picked up 2 more skips for the 25 today, and the outside bumper spike...looks mean!!! So now i have 20" bar w/ 3 reg stihl rapid supers & 1 super L full skip.....and for the 25" i have 3 super L's & 2 regs. Also, my Husky lovin' boss gave me all his Stihl parts laying around. Most of it was stuff i cant use, but i did score a slightly rusty, but useable Oregon 24" bar. I took the orbital sander to it today down to the bear metal. Its wierd, its exactly the same length as what Stihl calls a 25" bar. Its just a little narrower. Best part...my chains fit it!!! 3/8"....050"....84 drive links!!!

Heres a question for ya....what can i paint my bars with that will last like the paint on the bars you buy?? Should i just bring them somewhere and have them powder-coated? It sucks spending hours dressing a bar and painting it then the first cut, all the paint scrapes right off. Im goin to start a thread about this i think.

Thanks for the feedback...love the saw so far.(only had for 5 days) But even though im a Stihl guy at heart, i run all Huskys at work: new 365 (71cc model), (3) 372xp's 20"-24", 395xp 36", and the beast 3120xp w/the 48". I have absolutely nothing against the Huskys...i think the 372xp is one of the sickest all around saws ever invented. Unstoppable w/a 20". Just wish the boss man would buy me a better climbing/bucket saw than an Echo CS-341 with a damn safety chain and runs when it feels like it. And one last note...i seriously cant tell the difference between that new 365 and the 372xp, for $200 +/- less money. Reliability...i dont know yet. We just got it.

Thanks again everyone and keep it comin'
John (in the great north woods)

How do i mm the 362? Just take out the spark arrester and open her up a little? And i can do something so i can adjust the carb beyond what Stihl wants me too right? Havent got in too deep yet...

Back