Finally Got the Big Boy Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
Just brought this Husky 395XP home this afternoon. Got it off of Craigs list in Madison Wisconsin. The guy was great and worked with me as he offered to meet me half way with it. (I was over in WhiteSpiders neighborhood today) It is 3 years old with roughly 30 hours of cutting time on it. It is way more saw then I need I think, BUT it gets to be a chore hacking away at some of the big ash trees that I have tackled with my 2 Husky Ranchers with 20 inch bars. Came with a 36" bar and 5 chains (1 Brand new). Started it up in the parking lot and man you could not have wiped that smile off of my face with a baseball bat. Most everyone on here seems to think it is a good investment to have a bigger saw so I pulled the trigger and got one. I got what I thought to be a good price with a $100 off of that to fix the broken chain brake handle. (Don't have a clue what that will cost) In my area people are real good at taking all of the smaller limbs off of downed trees and leaving the big trunks for someone else. Now with the right equipment I am in a good position to pick up some huge chunks of firewood for the ole OWB. Feel like taking a vacation day tomorrow and cutting something up!
00e0e_k3bUKIRlfGu_600x450_zps1c1b185b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For a $100 you can buy a whole clutch cover complete. Good saw. Make sure the muffler bolts and the screws holding the top cover are tight. If they get loose they'll vibrate around and strip.

QUOTE=mdavlee;4506512]For a $100 you can buy a whole clutch cover complete. Good saw. Make sure the muffler bolts and the screws holding the top cover are tight. If they get loose they'll vibrate around and strip.[/QUOTE]

Will definitely check the bolt thanks for the heads up.

Very nice saw. So how much was it?

At the risk of half the board telling me they could have got 3 saws for that price here is what I paid. Seems like you can't buy the power head for less then $1200. new at todays prices. So counting that with the 36" bar and 5 chains I gave 2/3 of the price of a new power head. After shopping Ebay and Craigs List for some time it seemed to me that a lot of people are asking around $600. or so for comparable or smaller saws that were pretty well worked over. Weather I did good or not I am happy and that should account for something.

$800 for a low hour 395 is a great deal.

I have a 395 clutch cover and handle? Can work out a deal?

Nice saw, and a pretty good deal. A 36" bar ain't cheap and neither are 36" loops. You did good and should never need a saw bigger. As Husq only makes one more size up (current)!!

Nice saw and decent deal! You should never want for more saw, of course when a person is addicted it is sometimes hard to explain why we want more, bigger, better, etc., etc.
Enjoy:msp_wink:

Ron

You'll like that saw. I agree get a 24" or 28" bar also and it will be better balanced and handier to use.

Big saws are fun to run. I have a 50" bar for those special occasions. A firewood/tree guy around here says to me "Well I can cut up anything you can with my 24" bar and smaller saw". I said yep, you sure can, I just don't have to walk around the other side of the log to do it!

well done. big saws are fun. just remember as the saws get big so does the wood and so do the rest of the tools to handle the wood

Congrats on the new saw.

You were in my neighborhood yesterday??
Now you listen real careful like Dogsout, if'n you were in my neck-of-the-woods, and you had that avatar gal with ya', and you didn't look me up QUOTE]

Geezz Spider she ask to stop and see you. She went up to the house, looked in the basement window and said you seemed to be way more interested in that box o beer and fondling that new Daka stove then anything she had to offer.

Back