Finally I installed one of the bridges that will let

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
me access the wood up the hill behind the creek on the woodlot with my old Terra Jet.

I have been underbrushing this week so I will have an idea of where to cut the trail so that the old jet can get up and down the hill.

This will let me finally get at the wood I want to mill up at the back of the hill. Still lots more work to get the trail in to the top of the hill but it is a start.

I was going to mill wood for this but ended up buying a load of culled lumber from the depot about 1/3 price and you just could not beat that.

Two 6 x 12 bridges for $140 worth of wood. The components for the other bridge are ready to go but I don't have the concrete piers installed yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have got another days work on building up the approaches to the bridge.

attachment.php

Nice... you gonna put some sort of short on-ramp for that or maybe build up the dirt in front of it a bit? Or maybe your 4 wheel can easily climb that little bit.

What's a Terra Jet?

Ian
My wife refers to it as the "Barbie Jeep", I guess I should paint it pink!

They are a 4 wheel drive, amphibious atv kinda like an Argo but with steering (sort of steering, they turn like a supertanker!) All 4 wheels drive all the time and they don't have a differential.

They don't make them anymore.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice... you gonna put some sort of short on-ramp for that or maybe build up the dirt in front of it a bit? Or maybe your 4 wheel can easily climb that little bit.

Yup, that is what I meant by the fact that I still have days work in to put in the approaches to the bridge.

I am going to build it up with rock. I built it up high cause the creek has flooded there on occasion.

I was going to do it yesterday but the boss came out with me and we end up mulching the flower beds at the cabin instead.

The property (5.3 acres)runs the complete horizon in this picture with the top of the hill here about 1/2 way in to the lot depth.

That is the wood I want access to.

Mostly just spruce, balsam and birch.

attachment.php

Ok...First trip up the hill today where I did not have to carry the saw. I had to cut out a few more stumps and trees on the way out to compensate for the super-tanker turning on the Terra Jet.

Picked up a hitchhiker on the way!

attachment.php

Notice the fancy milled bench!

attachment.php

Unfortunately that is the end of the trail. About 1/2 way up the lot.

attachment.php

I spent some time brushing along the lot line today past this point until it started to pour and can see the upper part of future trail but still need a way through the middle.

Oh and a visitor left me a little present on the trail last night!

attachment.php

How did you attach the bridge to the footers? I think I can see a sill plate and did you use any other strapping incase of ice/debris build-up? I like your design very much, very well thought out.

How did you attach the bridge to the footers? I think I can see a sill plate and did you use any other strapping incase of ice/debris build-up? I like your design very much, very well thought out.

I bolted to the footings a pressure treated 2x6 as a sill plate using the concrete anchor bolts. Then between each of the stringers I used a block that was screwed to the sill plate and to each of the stringers. I also toe nailed the stringers to the sill plate.

Last edited:
Close but it was a moose. I do not believe that we have any deer on the island, just moose and caribou.

Mmmmmmmmmmm caribou! Yum! Nice work on the bridge Mike! If you have occasional flooding have you considered making it removable? Small q, any fish in that there pond in the background? Looks like a beauty spot for some 'wilderness golf' too, ya already have the cart! :D

:jester:

:cheers:

Serge

Mmmmmmmmmmm caribou! Yum! Nice work on the bridge Mike! If you have occasional flooding have you considered making it removable? Small q, any fish in that there pond in the background? Looks like a beauty spot for some 'wilderness golf' too, ya already have the cart! :D

:jester:

:cheers:

Serge

Here are some caribou pics from a couple of years ago. There is a herd about 60 miles away from us.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Funny that you should mention golf. I am continually finding golf balls on the other side of the property. One of the neighbors must be hitting them in there.

Wilderness Golf. HMMMMM... Then I could compete with the local golf course which is only about 1 km away.

http://www.thewillows.ca/willows/golf.php
header_willows_small.jpg

Yes there are brown trout in the pond (which is on the neighbours property), they do come up the stream to spawn which should happen any day now.

That terra jet thing is sweet.... I haven't ever seen one before. I think I would have more fun fjording the stream rather than putting in a bridge though.

Last edited:

I noticed in real estate section of the paper today that the agent took videos of the property.

My property wraps around behind the back of this when you see behind the barns..

The property was built in 1906 and is interesting looking through the old barns..
Link to videos...http://www.johnhutton.ca/?page_id=6&listing_id=54

Back