Finally Let The OWB Go Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you can start stocking up for the next round in 5 months!

I let mine burn out a couple days ago in anticipation (for the third time) of shutting it off for the season. This time it's real though because I put the rain cap on the stack last night - I'm done!

I let mine go to sleep a few days ago. Haven't cleaned it up yet. What do you guys do to "pickle it up" for the summer?
I clean all the ashes out as best I can then take a small pressure sprayer with kerosene and burn all the creosote one area at a time. When I'm satisfied I have it "burnt" clean I load the sprayer with used oil, thinned with kero and give it a good soaking. Close the door and swill a couple cold frosties,,,

I just clean out ashes and remove the debris and dont worry about the rest. But mine is stainless so not as important.

I put the last load in my own on Friday, still full of unburnt but charcoal looking wood. We're only using it for hot water right now. My daughter in law is saying the house is too warm for her new baby. The water lines for the furnace and hot water tank are in the nursery bedroom. Just the radiant heat is making the room hot. Going to shut off the lines to that house this morning. All that will be drawing heat is the hot water for my house so it's gonna take awhile to burn down. Then I will shovel out all the ashes then use my backpack blower with an extention tube and blow it all out, stainless tank. Thinking I will empty the water out and drain all the lines but haven't decided for sure yet. Then spend the summer cutting wood.

I let mine go out about a week ago. I will clean all ash from inside, but leave the creosote alone as it acts as a rust inhibitor. Then before things get too cool in early fall, I will install a new door gasket & rust inhibitor into the tank.

Back