Finished Dawn Redwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was the most fun wood I ever milled. Maybe two hours total, for the 15 slabs in the picture. I let the saw idle between cuts, while I took my guide board off, and only used a little over half a tank of fuel. The hill I was on is quite steep and it would self feed to the point I had to hold back on it. I cut the saw off while I peeled the bark off the second log, and I drank a beer with my neighbor between logs. To add to my answer to Tuplin about projects, I might make a couple more benches and a table for the cabin. This was my first bench and I was really happy with it. It's Tulip Poplar, Joe.

20130921_093736_zps2c79ed6a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That is the softest wood I have ever milled, I milled the first log, 6 slabs @ 8 feet, with "NO" sharpenings. I didn't touch the chain when I started the second log. When I screwed my guide board to the second log, I put one of the screws at a slight angle, figured I had plenty of room. I was wrong, nicked the screw. Bought a new chain, too hot and tired to sharpen, and it milled 14 more slabs @ 7 feet, out of the last two logs. This morning I went out and milled 6 more Blue Spruce slabs, and it's still pulling hard. I've got one more small Blue Spruce log and I'm going to keep going till it starts to slow down. I have a dead Red Oak to mill for a friend, I know that will knock the edge off quick. You can see the two Blue Spruce logs in the background, Joe.

Back