Fire Extinguisher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many of you guy's have a fire extinguisher near your stove?
I have a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher I want to hang by my OWB but I need to find what kind of antifreeze to use in it to keep it from freezing.
I looked at the RV stuff, but it says it's flammable, so I don't want that.

I know I can go with dry powder, but the water works a lot better on wood fires.

I have a large one mounted to the wall 3' from the stove up above where the kids can reach. its rated for wood, electrical and liquid fires.

i also keep one with me down near the splitter and other equipment. i've experienced a few small fires and it always gets me in a panic, even if its small/contained and i have an extinguisher near by

I have a wood stove inside and have extingushers and Chimfex close by. One includes a 2.5 gal H2O I dont think they make any water agent to be stored outside. As for the "A" class rate a 10 lb ABC is (4) and some 5 pounders are (3). So other than the mess a good ten pounder sounds like the one for your outside application.

Ted

I have a wood stove inside and have extingushers and Chimfex close by.
Ted

Same w/ me for inside stove - tracked down the Chimfex after reading some of the stories last winter - even though I do my flue myself each season. I tend NOT to check during snow season and trust that I am running hot and clean as possible.

I know there is something they use to keep them from freezing, I've seen them outside in the winter before, just don't know what it is.
I guess I need to find out if car/truck antifreeze is flammable or not.

How many of you guy's have a fire extinguisher near your stove?
1 near the fireplace, 1 in the garage, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the truck... probably still wouldn't hurt to have a few more!

I know there is something they use to keep them from freezing, I've seen them outside in the winter before, just don't know what it is.
I guess I need to find out if car/truck antifreeze is flammable or not.
I don't know if it's outright flammable, but it smokes so much with high temperature that I'd be afraid of not being able to see anything. Ever been behind a car with a bad headgasket?

Looks like potassium acetate is the antifreeze used, but I would bring the unit to a fire extinguisher shop and have them fill it properly.

Latest posts

Back