fire wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i know there are some here that use their saws for fire wood. weve had post about slitting. so i thot id post about a new axe i just bought. its the fiskar splitting axe. dang thing splits better and easier than any hand splitter ive seen.
so lite ,i thot it was made out of plastic.
i. unbelieveable that anything that splits this well can be so lite.heck my wife could split wood with this thing,and lets just say thats not the type thing shes good at.im a little amazed.:)

tony, i've been thinking of getting one of those stihl splitting ax's, i have their regular ax. keep me posted:Eye:

nelson ,i just believe ill let my favorite neighbor have that for christmas . :D
ryan im not familar w stihls axe. but if u can look at this fiskar before u buy anything. but dont go by the wt. it dont weigh nothin. in fact i aint too sure why it works so well.the way u talked about splitting wood in that other post. u would need to be careful, u didnt bury this thing a foot deep in the ground.:)
i think real big fire logs may still require a splitting wedg for the first split.
not sure about that . but then this thing would be far faster than any splitter i ever used.ill post if i find a down side to it.later now

Lithuania

Have a relative who owns a place in this ex Soviet block country.

Anyway, they use 16 cords of white oak in the winter and these guys choped it split it and stacked it in an underground room next to the house for $130 bucks !

Wow, all by hand.

Tony,
I picked one up about a week ago myself.I cant Believe how well the thing works either!!Its only 4 1/2 #.
When I tell someone how great it is,they just say "yea right".
Thanks for backing me up!
Merry Christmas All,
Mike.

I like a powder wedge myself. They are actually pretty easy to make with some 2 inch round stock, a lathe and a drill press. Great way to split tough wood, and a lot of fun too!

mountainman, i couldn't agree more!!! made ours out of an old roller from a dozer:D

axe

I have my Dad's old double bit with one side ground down because he chipped it in the 40's. Darned if I can find anything that works better in any decent wood.
Now, what about the twist method he taught me to use, seems to help also.

Stihl vs. Fiskars

My research indicates that Stihls PA40 Axe (their biggest) is the same as Fiskars 1400 or #7853 (their next-to-biggest). There is also the Fiskars 2400 or #7854 which is about 5" longer at 28.5" (and heavier, I think) than Stihl's PA40. I suspect Tony has the Fiskars model that is bigger than the Stihl. Tony, can you get us a model number, or measure it?

Last edited:
its got 7859 on it. mite be a specioal issue for lowes. they have a habit of doing that . ie the poulan pro 330.
it is 28.5 inches tho.im not disaappointed yet . i brought in a ld of 10 -14 inch mixed hard wood today .
i think the big limitation is learning how to use the tool rite every swing.
u really generate speed with this little thing.a real find for these old bones..:)

mike from what i can tell they are the same. exception being the lowes one has different colored plastic yellow.
it reallly is a splitting tool tho.
im 55 and im splitting more effectively with less effort than i did when i was young. and i could really bring it, when i was 25.:)
edit . just thot id add ive never been much of a wood chopper as the saws do that much better ,but this axe really cuts a big chip. in short i wish i had the patent on this thing cause its gonna change axes forever jmho.

I have thought about laying out the money for a Fiskars axe but the length is a huge problem. As mentioned in the previous "stihl axe" thread 28 inches is a real safety hazard. I am a short guy but I believe I would hit my shins with that short of an axe. Other thought is the amount of power that can de delivered by a axe that short. A longer handle will give you a larger arc which will allow a much more powerful blow with the same amount of energy exert by the user. Anytime you can deliver a harder blow to the wood while still exterting the same amount of energy as a lighter blow you will have improved splitting ability. If anyone knows of a long handled axe of this design let me know

Bill

I`m with Bill on the handle length issue, I just don`t get it. I`m intrigued by all the praise these axes are getting, assuming of course that you guys know what the hell you are talking about. I also understand the concentration of the exerted energy in the head because the handle is so light, but why is it so short? And yet, noone here who has purported to used one has complained regarding the short handle. I made note of at least one person suggesting a tall chopping block, but isn`t it extra work to have to raise the rounds that high? Is there a net gain in productivity or conserved energy or is it simply a reapportionment of the energy needed to accomplish the task? I wish I could rationalize this to where I would buy one because I love new toys but I don`t feel like splitting my shin either. Russ

the handle was an issue with me also.
im 6- 2 and both sons are 6 footers. so when i was showing them ,and we were playin with it. i made sure they were aware of the percieved hazard. fiskars may have some trouble with this before its over. but i already got mine and know how to use it so if they get sued ,im covered ,as this thing would take burning to break it. as to understanding why its effective at that wt . id be speculating myself. but it is the easiest way ive run into splitting firewood.sure do feel different after too.
ps my sons an insurance adjuster[pretty good money] and he ask me to callim so he could go with me to split the would one day.:)

Back