fire wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest problem with an 8lb maul is that it goes thru more handles than a 6# due to the added impact when it hits the block.
A good woodchopper reads the wood and knows which end of the block should be up. 8# mauls tire the operator prematurely as well. Stamina and a good aim is your best bet. Brute force should be left to hand fed woodsplitters I think.
Gypo

of course we could all get that monster maul. all u got to do with it ,is be able to hoist 217 lbs over your head repeatedly:D :)

Glens, now that you mention it you are absolutely correct, I cant belive that I never thought of it like that! Thanks for the fresh perspective! Also nice photo, what kingd of camera set up are you running?-Matt

fun_chopper,

You mean the thought that the head could be vacuum-trapped in the wood?  That was the first thing that came to mind when I envisioned a precision-machined tool.  I imagine the type and state of the wood would have to be just right though.

The photo gear is (old, now) Yashica/Contax kit.  I wasn't too excited about that part of it; the affordable supreme glass was what I was after.  Is there a digital camera which sports the Yashica/Contax 35mm lens mount?  Maybe I could get a digital back for the body, I haven't ever looked.

In that first shot, if the fence posts are smeared 24 inches, at 1/60 second that's 120 ft/sec or about 82 mph.  30 inches (probably pushing it) would be 102.&nbsp The "maximum complete wheel diameter" at that time was evidently 26 inches and it looks to be about that much stretch.  That would be 130 fps or 89 mph.  That spot wasn't too far out of the corner in the second shot, but I was swinging faster than I thought would produce good results.  The viewer going black momentarily in the SLR isn't too confidence-inspiring that way.

Better quit talking about it here, now...

Glen

I have 2 older Yashica FX SLrs I love the carl z lenses that I can so easily get for them..I dont think there is a slr digital that will fit the lenses, maybe in a digital medium format with an adapter?

John, don't read this........

I know you say to stick with the six pounders.

I thought of this thread today.....I almost hate to admit it...but I used the monster maul again...and it was (almost) fun! My son was out there with me loading up some firewood...I gave him some bigger stuff to split...he got his winged maul thingee and it just bounced right off the hedge. Being the good mom that I am, I went and got the monster maul and helped him out. A little competition ensued...but of course, I won. Next time I'll get the real maul out and see if I can still split this stuff.

Tony, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you...I don't think this thing weighs over thirty-seven pounds. ;)

Che

Do they make a digital back for my Speed Graphic?

Che. I have a mountain of firewood in my yard. If you need
an objective judge for your firewood splitting contests, just
come over to Lawrenceburg. But hurry, I am getting low on split wood. Bring some hedge/osage too, I have run out.

Hi Fish....at this point, after two weeks with my kids home...I'd be more than happy to split your wood. Could you come over and get this laundry done so they can go BACK TO SCHOOL dressed proper? :dizzy:

Do you have much hedge around your place? I talked to my husband the other day about it....asked him if his 'attitude' has changed towards this wood since it's cut, brought home in the trailer, covered with a tarp, and sometimes even split and loaded in the wheelbarrow now....ready for him to throw into the stove. Didn't take him a second...still hates it. :confused:

che , ive endured having my teenage girl around for the last 2 wks. between her and her friends,id rather be splittin wood anyday. she is great fun to be around ,but high maintenance. if u know what i mean.
i wont comment on the splittin tool as ive already flip floped on the subject enough.:)

Hi Che', no shame in using anything that will get the job done.
It's just that when I was a bigshot in the firewood business I wasnt happy unless I could do three full cords of Maple in 6 to 9 hrs. from stump to pavement.I know it sounds impossible to do, but I became really focused and the 6# flew like lightning.
For all my rapsodic talk though, the money I made went to morgage payments on 5 houses, yes 5 houses. They are all gone now and so is the money, but I still have 3 really good kids.
Fish, I would be more than happy to come down and split your wood at no charge, you just buy the beer ok? I need a holiday anyway after the holiday. Too much snow here. Should I buy the D100, or should I head South, then West N West?
John

Tony....I know EXACTLY what you mean!! (So does Mike, trust me)

John....Gorgeous, happy looking kids! You are truly blessed. :)

Che

Speaking of using anything to get the job done......I watched my nephew split up a bunch of nasty pin oak yesterday with his 4wd rubber mounted John Deere backhoe . Darndest thing I ever saw , just stand them on end and watch him go . Was a little noisey on the frozen ground

Whistler, I know exactly what you mean with the backhoe...my uncle brought home a load of 36" dia. twisted fir one day and we cut a few blocks off with the old Super 930, and tried to split it...lol..no way..so we took the hoe and broke it up that way...turned out we had to cut the peices at 12" long, so when the twist came out, they were about 18-20" long...very nasty twists...the pile still sits there..

I notice that Robert has Greffardized the Predator by installing anti-rockout devices in preparation for Dennis's visit.
mhihi.gif

fcd35b17.jpg

Dennis , that twisted stuff will outburn the straight-grained hands down , but then you didn't bring it home to run "timed "cuts did you ?

Doug, now if only the Rotax had that on it i would be laughing!

Whistler, yep, I agree with you there..the problem with the first few peices was that they turned out about 24" long, after cutting them at 16"..lol..

firewood

The hard stuff always burns hotter, the extra bar or chain saver was added after i cut rocks in Forks Wa. show.Robert and i did take 1st. The same thing at Hoquim,Wa. I make a cut in 1.16sec. with the v6 , set down go over grab the Pred with Rotax and beat myself with a time of .88sec. .good time,lots of dirt in the .grass Dennis how come the saw is always lower on the Rotax side???????????????v6Bill:

.88 seconds must be a new record. Yep, Robert is like the Rock of Gibralter whereas Dennis is the Rockout of Clearwater.

Back